Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ?

This is a discussion on Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, you did one thing right: used eye protection. By the way, I doubt that every trajectory into a semicircle results in a parallel exit ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Well, you did one thing right: used eye protection.

By the way, I doubt that every trajectory into a semicircle results in a parallel exit trajectory. I will do some geometry and report

(later) OK, there are only 5 entrance paths that result in a parallel exit of an intact bullet, but I concede that if the bullet fragments on impacting the barrel, a fragment can splash in any direction.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    By the way, I doubt that every trajectory into a semicircle results in a parallel exit trajectory. I will do some geometry and report.
    It wont unless it hits at the right angle. It only takes once. The more you shoot into it, the more the odds are against you.

Have you ever seen a backstop that was half of a radius at a shooting range? No. There are none. Now you know why.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    I've used this back stop for years, and normally it is filled with straw, but the straw was rotten so I got rid of it for the season.
    It's amazing your OK. If that's not a ricochet maker, I don't know what is!

When I first built the backstop I was shooting .22 Then I moved into larger caliber (9mm).

For those who asked why I don't just shoot into the hillside, the answer is that I wanted to catch the lead so that I could avoid future EPA problems.

I will never shoot into that backstop ever again, you can be sure or that.
    You are on your own private property? Why would EPA even be aware of your existence? My shooting club's range is on State property and the Dept. of Environmental Protection hasn't said a word in the range's 18-year existence about all the lead in the backstop. On a typical 8-hour Saturday, probably 8-10k rounds go down range.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    You are on your own private property? Why would EPA even be aware of your existence? My shooting club's range is on State property and the Dept. of Environmental Protection hasn't said a word in the range's 18-year existence about all the lead in the backstop. On a typical 8-hour Saturday, probably 8-10k rounds go down range.
    It is on my property. Of course someday I will want to sell it, and I was worried that I wouldnt be able to sell because of lead contamination. Seems rather unimportant now...

Okay maybe didn't think that out to well. Its okay though man. We all make mistakes. Thank the man above that you can live through another day to talk about this. Hug your family and loved ones. Some people aren't so lucky.

It is on my property. Of course someday I will want to sell it, and I was worried that I wouldnt be able to sell because of lead contamination. Seems rather unimportant now...
    If and when you ever decide to sell is time enough to worry about it. You just bulldoze the hillside and mine the lead. The overwhelming majority will be less than a couple of feet below the surface.

I'm so glad you were not seriously injured. Anything like that is scary, to say the least.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Glad you are ok but that backstop has to go. I just started shooting myself and that would not be on my list of backstops.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    Glad you are ok but that backstop has to go. I just started shooting myself and that would not be on my list of backstops.
    Preferred method is to shoot targets and not yourself, but to each his own. ;-)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I’m with glockman10mm on this with the only change would be to dig it out a bit to make the back a more vertical.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Looks to me like you have a nice natural backstop there in the form of a rise in the terrain full of nice soft earth bullet catching soil. For handguns, that should be good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I would bet that there was a ricochet off that backstop. I would build a new one out of some sort of material that would absorb bullets.

EDIT: Why not just shoot into that hillside?

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just shoot into the berm.

Keep the targets low enough and you will be fine.

Take two posts, pound into the ground, spaced several feet away from each other.
    Connect them by a rope or fencewire, then take large cardboard boxs, and hang them from the wire{[letting them lay flat as they hang}, then tape your paper targets to them.

Just to let you know, you are not the only one:

Watch these;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_F1yIRNCLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZMbpjkHR0
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Preferred method is to shoot targets and not yourself, but to each his own. ;-)
    Thought the same thing! lol

Administrator
    I'm going to go a little off topic here... Why does the EPA get all upset over lead in the ground? Where did lead come from in the first place? The flippen ground. There. I'm done, Carry on.
    ctr, phreddy, Dadsnugun and 3 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    People get hit by ricochets when shooting steel all the time. It's unusual for there to be any injury though. You are not stupid, you just needed to do a little more research when you built your backstop is all. Why don't you just use the berm behind the drum as a backstop. If you are worried about the EPA a couple of scoops with a front end loader should get most of the lead out should you decide to sell your property.

Jim

Steve, thanks for sharing your lesson learned. Glad to see you are taking the criticism here as helpful, and not getting defensive. Admirable attitude: every shooter has more to learn about safety, no matter how long his or her experience.

If you look at the bottom half of the back stop, you can see bullet trails going down with the actual impact sites just above them. Glad your OK. Although geometry does play a role here, I think Murphy definitely had a hand in there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links