Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ? - Page 3

Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ?

This is a discussion on Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well look at the bright side .... at least you shot yourself in your glasses, so it deflected the projectile before it did any real ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ?

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Well look at the bright side .... at least you shot yourself in your glasses, so it deflected the projectile before it did any real damage.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Go to your local Home Depot and pick up some used railroad timbers.Put them on your hillside. This is what I use. Has never given me problems. Will handle any caliber from .22 to .458 Win Mag.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Actually, here's a thought:

If you only used the bottom half, and then turned it at an angle so that the top side of the half barrel were significantly closer to the shooter and the bottom edge were recessed behind that, you could create a water trap below it that I would bet most of your exiting lead would be captured in -- or at least a heavy sand box below it.

Take the top half off, rotate the bottom half slightly so that the leading edge towards the shooter is the top edge, and build a sand trap below it.

Or, take the top half off, still rotate the bottom half a bit, and then place the piece of the top half that you took off in opposition to the existing bottom half, covering most of that existing bottom half with the piece taken from the top in the opposite direction. Then fragments and bullets would enter the piece that is now the bottom half, and if they slid around the hemisphere and came out they would be ejected into the other half placed up against it in the opposite direction.

Bet I'm going to need to add some drawings to this post. Sorry about that. Click on the tumbnail for some idea of what I'm blabbering about.

barrel_target.jpg
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

No need to engineer a back stop when one is already there. Using any part of that barrel is a bad idea.

Glad you're ok Steve, and had the opportunity to live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    Go to your local Home Depot and pick up some used railroad timbers.Put them on your hillside. This is what I use. Has never given me problems. Will handle any caliber from .22 to .458 Win Mag.
    That is a good idea, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Steve, thanks for sharing your lesson learned. Glad to see you are taking the criticism here as helpful, and not getting defensive. Admirable attitude: every shooter has more to learn about safety, no matter how long his or her experience.
    I can't find any reason to get defensive, I made a stupid mistake, and I accept responsibility for it. I feel very embarrassed, because in hindsite this was a problem just waiting to happen. I am gratefull for all the advice given by the members here.

Both my wife and I have been shooting at this backstop for a long time, and as bad as I feel now, I could have never forgiven myself if the same thing happened to my wife.

eb
    Glad you are ok man. I'm sure there are plenty of things you could lay down there if you'd prefer not to shoot directly into the hillside...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    Hello all,

Yesterday I was doing some target practice, and after firing a shot (9mm) I was instantly hit in the eye with something. Fortunately I had glasses on, but the lens was rammed into my face and I ended up in the emergency room and received 3 stitches.

All I remember is that I pulled the trigger, I heard the bang, and then instantly something hit me in the eye and I was on the ground.

I've tried to reconstruct what happened, and I wonder if I did something stupid. Attached is a picture of the backstop I created. Is it possible that my shot hit the edge of the drum and ricocheted back at me ?

I've used this back stop for years, and normally it is filled with straw, but the straw was rotten so I got rid of it for the season.

The good news is that I will be OK with no permanent damage. If this is a stupid setup (which I suspect is true), maybe I will help prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
    Look at it as a lucky warning. Something is amiss, with the gun or more likely your "stop". Don't shoot that gun period or any gun at that stop until you know for sure what the cause of this, and then check to see if it is corrected BEFORE live fire.

You may not get lucky twice!

OUCH! Yup I think you can officially call that one a "close call". Glad you're Okay and the lesson didn't cost ya an eye... Stay safe.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

First, glad you are ok. Secondly, no red ryder BB gun for you this Christmas! ;)

VIP Member
    This gives me a new idea for a backstop:

'Just kidding, SteveB. I've done far dumber things.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Well, you did one thing right: used eye protection.

By the way, I doubt that every trajectory into a semicircle results in a parallel exit trajectory. I will do some geometry and report

(later) OK, there are only 5 entrance paths that result in a parallel exit of an intact bullet, but I concede that if the bullet fragments on impacting the barrel, a fragment can splash in any direction.
    The odds of being struck by lightning are pretty slim also, unless you happen to be the person struck. Then it's 100%. So unless someone was shooting at him, it seems the geometry is insignificant....
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    Check the ends of any railroad ties you plan to use in your backstop. They often have "S"-shaped steel bands pressed in (to stop splitting, I think). Don't know how deep they are, as I never removed any.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    This gives me a new idea for a backstop:

'Just kidding, SteveB. I've done far dumber things.

had me chuckling on that one... Pretty funny..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links