Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ?

This is a discussion on Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, Yesterday I was doing some target practice, and after firing a shot (9mm) I was instantly hit in the eye with something. Fortunately ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Hurt myself, did I do something stupid ?

Hello all,

Yesterday I was doing some target practice, and after firing a shot (9mm) I was instantly hit in the eye with something. Fortunately I had glasses on, but the lens was rammed into my face and I ended up in the emergency room and received 3 stitches.

All I remember is that I pulled the trigger, I heard the bang, and then instantly something hit me in the eye and I was on the ground.

I've tried to reconstruct what happened, and I wonder if I did something stupid. Attached is a picture of the backstop I created. Is it possible that my shot hit the edge of the drum and ricocheted back at me ?

I've used this back stop for years, and normally it is filled with straw, but the straw was rotten so I got rid of it for the season.

The good news is that I will be OK with no permanent damage. If this is a stupid setup (which I suspect is true), maybe I will help prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Are you kidding me? You didn't really think this backstop out very well, did you? Couldn't be better designed for a "right back at cha!"
    pbmagnet likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't be too crazy about using that backstop. Seems to be designed to turn bullets around and spit them back at you.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Didn't I see this one on the "Road Runner"?

I would bet that there was a ricochet off that backstop. I would build a new one out of some sort of material that would absorb bullets.

EDIT: Why not just shoot into that hillside?
    RMS, oneshot, JoeK and 2 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I would bet that there was a ricochet off that backstop. I would build a new one out of some sort of material that would absorb bullets.

EDIT: Why not just shoot into that hillside?
    agreed
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Administrator
    Yup, you did something stupid
    "Just blame Sixto"

Enough said. I'm glad this is an anonymous forum...
    WHEC724 and jace33 like this.

Looks to me like you have a nice natural backstop there in the form of a rise in the terrain full of nice soft earth bullet catching soil. For handguns, that should be good enough.
    RMS and oneshot like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yup, you did something stupid
    +1 live and learn. Next time you might not be as lucky...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    Steve man it's all good sometimes bad examples are the best examples, glad you are ok. I am a little surprized that any defensive caliber did not punch right through the barrel; were you shooting .22?

Chas
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    Glad you are going to be OK but you get to change your name to Wiley
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Get rid of that backstop.

The barrel has a radius. Hitting the top of that radius will deflect the bullet downward, where it then hits the same angle radius. What that means is that any bullet will spit right back at you. When you had the straw in there, it would deflect the bullet enough that ricochets coming back at you didn't happen.

Just yesterday I talked to a guy that shot an empty discarded Propane bottle. Part of the bullet hit him in the neck, went under his skin and stopped right on his Jugular. He had a very sharp, ragged piece of copper jacket with lead in right there an he knew enough to know that if he messed with it, he could cause it to tear or puncture and he'd bleed out right there.

He went to the ER and they did emergency surgery, he spent the night in the hospital and it ended up costing him over 12K, that his insurance didn't cover.

You are very lucky that something worse didn't happen sooner.

Backstops are built with NO opposing angles. Most are built with one or several 45 degree plates which angle down into a sand trap that catches the bullets. You shoot standing in front of it and its fairly safe.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Looks to me like you have a nice natural backstop there in the form of a rise in the terrain full of nice soft earth bullet catching soil. For handguns, that should be good enough.
    Iím with glockman10mm on this with the only change would be to dig it out a bit to make the back a more vertical.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Steve man it's all good sometimes bad examples are the best examples, glad you are ok. I am a little surprized that any defensive caliber did not punch right through the barrel; were you shooting .22?

Chas
    When I first built the backstop I was shooting .22 Then I moved into larger caliber (9mm).

For those who asked why I don't just shoot into the hillside, the answer is that I wanted to catch the lead so that I could avoid future EPA problems.

I will never shoot into that backstop ever again, you can be sure or that.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links