states don't allow leaving a handgun in car unattended.

This is a discussion on states don't allow leaving a handgun in car unattended. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; states don't allow leaving a handgun in a car unattended. Is there a list of states that do not allow you to leave your hand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: states don't allow leaving a handgun in car unattended.

states don't allow leaving a handgun in a car unattended. Is there a list of states that do not allow you to leave your hand gun in your car unattended. There are states that do not allow you to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol and going into any store that has a sign posted no weapons allowed. I heard something about North Carolina. Not sure. I think up state New York is another one. I go into North Carolina quite often. In South Carolina and North Carolina . You are not allowed to go into any eating establishment that serves alcohol. But I was recently in a supermarket in North Carolina that has A large eating area with tables and chairs and they do not serve it you purchase it then sit down hot food or sandwiches but they do not serve alcohol but some people purchase alcohol a beer at a register in the front then they bring it back and sit down I guess this is a gray area if they are not actually serving it

Handgunlaw.us
    surefire7 and TN_Mike like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Is there a specific state you are asking about? Or just in general curious which states allow/dont allow?
    I work for a company that offers firearms training in Florida, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin and soon to be Minnesota. Please visit our website below or check us out on http://facebook.com/equip2conceal

www.equip2conceal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    states don't allow leaving a handgun in a car unattended. Is there a list of states that do not allow you to leave your hand gun in your car unattended. There are states that do not allow you to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol and going into any store that has a sign posted no weapons allowed. I heard something about North Carolina. Not sure. I think up state New York is another one. I go into North Carolina quite often. In South Carolina and North Carolina . You are not allowed to go into any eating establishment that serves alcohol. But I was recently in a supermarket in North Carolina that has A large eating area with tables and chairs and they do not serve it you purchase it then sit down hot food or sandwiches but they do not serve alcohol but some people purchase alcohol a beer at a register in the front then they bring it back and sit down I guess this is a gray area if they are not actually serving it
    In New York State, when outside your residence carrying a gun, it must be under your control at all times. So, no you can't leave it unattended anyplace. If it is in a "safe" in a car, I'm not exactly sure if the law is any different. But I'd find out before doing it. Makes sense to me, this law, trying to avoid stolen guns or someone finding and using it then.

NC has no statute that prohibits leaving a firearm in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    NC has no statute that prohibits leaving a firearm in a vehicle.
    I would hope not, seeing as they have so many silly places that you can't carry.
    mrjam2jab, Chief1297 and Herknav like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGoneDays View Post
    I would hope not, seeing as they have so many silly places that you can't carry.

Texas not only allows it,but they passed a law that allows you to keep your gun in a vehicle on Company property while at work,It allows you to be armed on the commute to and from work,where in the past if the Company said no guns on property it pretty much disarmed you unless you took a risk at losing your job.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Texas not only allows it,but they passed a law that allows you to keep your gun in a vehicle on Company property while at work,It allows you to be armed on the commute to and from work,where in the past if the Company said no guns on property it pretty much disarmed you unless you took a risk at losing your job.
    How about the Postal Service? Does it over ride their rule on no firearm in their parking lots for employee?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Do places actually have a law like this? If so, aren't they really saying that if you want to go in restricted building you must not only disarm, but you must leave your weapon at home? Further restricting your ability to legally carry?

Michael

No it does not. PO employee parking lots do not allow firearms in vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    How about the Postal Service? Does it over ride their rule on no firearm in their parking lots for employee?
    No state law overrides Federal law.
    marcclarke likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    In New York State, when outside your residence carrying a gun, it must be under your control at all times. So, no you can't leave it unattended anyplace. If it is in a "safe" in a car, I'm not exactly sure if the law is any different. But I'd find out before doing it. Makes sense to me, this law, trying to avoid stolen guns or someone finding and using it then.
    I don't live in NY but I have researched some of the laws in this area and I have not seen anything like what you are mentioning. Do you have a cite you could provide? I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    I don't live in NY but I have researched some of the laws in this area and I have not seen anything like what you are mentioning. Do you have a cite you could provide? I'd appreciate it.
    I live in Erie County - when I got my permit there was a sheet of mostly suggestions but that "rule". Perhaps it is County Ordinance? Where did you research? Penal Law. Somewhere I have, from a few years ago, complete state laws with commentary from former prosecutor and former Head of State Police Firearms Unit. I'll see if I can still find that. Been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    I live in Erie County - when I got my permit there was a sheet of mostly suggestions but that "rule". Perhaps it is County Ordinance? Where did you research? Penal Law. Somewhere I have, from a few years ago, complete state laws with commentary from former prosecutor and former Head of State Police Firearms Unit. I'll see if I can still find that. Been awhile.
    I searched all the state laws that I could find. I was involved in a discussion with someone regarding liability of the owner if someone stole a gun out of your vehicle and used it in subsequent crimes. This person never responded to my requests for specific cites to the laws he was referencing. I'm just curious as to what your knowledge is and appreciate your looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links