Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Defense Ammo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Self defense ammo feeding issues. Are there any particular brands of ammunition or types that do not feed well into a semi automatic. How about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Defense Ammo

Defense Ammo

Self defense ammo feeding issues. Are there any particular brands of ammunition or types that do not feed well into a semi automatic. How about federal Hydro shock anybody have any experience with them feeding into a glock or not feeding coursing problems. Are there any brands that you should avoid trusting for self defense

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    Self defense ammo feeding issues. Are there any particular brands of ammunition or types that do not feed well into a semi automatic. How about federal Hydro shock anybody have any experience with them feeding into a glock or not feeding coursing problems. Are there any brands that you should avoid trusting for self defense
    It is more of a gun issue than an ammo issue. Some guns just don't work well with some brands of ammo. I and others have had issues with feeding certain ammo in their guns. the only way to see which ammo your gun prefers is to try out different brands until you find one that works reliably

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bullet shape has a large part to do with it. Some guns have an issue with Hornady Critical Defense, many don't. It's a matter of individual guns. Most quality SD rounds will work if placed in a vital area.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A colleague of mine (member here) Carries Federal Hydroshock in both of his .40 Cal. Glocks w/o issue. +1 on trying what you're going to be carrying, you should be doing that anyways (and regularly).

eb
    I quit buying the "boutique" SD ammo a while back and use Fiocchi hollowpoints. They are usually available for under $20 / 50 in 9mm and $21-22 / 50 in .45 acp. As such, I fire and practice with them far more often and I've never had any failure to function in a gun using them, or failure to go "bang" on the ammo's part.

I've more favorable reports about Hornady Critical Defense than any other SD ammo, and I've never had a FTF myself with it, either. I think one reason is that it tapers down to a smaller, slightly more pointed tip than most hollow point bullets, so it's more likely so go into the chamber.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have several pistols in both 9MM and 40sw that now carry Georgia arms HP ammo with zero issues. There bullets are speer bonded deep curl, Same bullet that we know as the gold dot but thay can not use that name as a commerial loader. Great prices too. With any pistol I might have to depend on shoot 200 trouble free rounds of what I will carry before trusting the ammo and gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    I've more favorable reports about Hornady Critical Defense than any other SD ammo, and I've never had a FTF myself with it, either. I think one reason is that it tapers down to a smaller, slightly more pointed tip than most hollow point bullets, so it's more likely so go into the chamber.
    Where are you getting your information?

And no SD load could possibly be more favored than Speer Gold Dot, and here's one shining example:

ATK's Speer Gold Dot Selected by French Police as New Service Ammunition

Potential Total Contract Value Over $14M Means 250,000 officers in France to Carry Gold Dot

French Police, Gendarmerie, Customs and Corrections Agencies All to Use 9mm Gold Dot

MINNEAPOLIS, June 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) and its international teammate Humbert CTTS SAS have received a contract to supply Speer Gold Dot 9mm ammunition as the new duty ammunition for the entire French police department. The contract value, with options, is potentially worth more than $14 million over four years and would supply Gold Dot high performance ammunition to all 250,000 police officers in France, including the French police, the French Gendarmerie, French Customs and French Corrections. The contract takes effect immediately.

"This French law enforcement opportunity demanded intense specification controls, rigorous performance testing, and a top quality product," said Mark DeYoung, ATK Senior Vice President and Vice President Armament Systems. "The technology and manufacturing processes utilized in our Speer Gold Dot ammunition are state of the art and result in a highly reliable and capable product. This award once again proves that Speer Gold Dot is the ammunition of choice for law enforcement."
    French authorities spent two years developing their ammunition specifications and testing protocol. This award expands ATK's international footprint, highlighting the company's signature expertise in delivering innovative solutions to meet evolving law enforcement requirements in the United States and around the world.
    ATK is a premier aerospace and defense company with more than 18,000 employees in 22 states, Puerto Rico and internationally, and revenues in excess of $4.7 billion. News and information can be found on the Internet at ATK is a Fortune 500 aerospace, defense, security, and sporting products company.

Certain information discussed in this press release constitutes forward-looking statements as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Although ATK believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, it can give no assurance that its expectations will be achieved. Forward-looking information is subject to certain risks, trends and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Among those factors are: assumptions related to the timely delivery of ammunition to the French law enforcement agencies; changes in governmental spending, budgetary policies and product sourcing strategies; the company's competitive environment; the terms and timing of awards and contracts; and economic conditions. ATK undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements. For further information on factors that could impact ATK, and statements contained herein, please refer to ATK's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and any subsequent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

ATK's Speer Gold Dot Selected by French Police as New Service Ammunition -- MINNEAPOLIS, June 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I have used Fed 9 mm, 124 gr Hydra-Shok in my G-17,19, & 26 for at least the last 4 yrs and have not had any problems. I fire the ammo in the 17 & 26 and the 2 carry mags every 2-3 months. The G-19 is my spare carry gun but I try to shoot it monthly if possible.

I have the Critical Defense ammo in my CW9. I have fired a lot of it through the CW9 to test its functioning before actually carrying it. No problems here with it and I too have read some good reports of its persormance in actual shootings.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Some may call me crazy but I shoot bvac HP thru my 9mm, .40sw, .45acp, and .38 special, the rounds are inexpensive so shooting on a regular basis don't break the bank, their expansion isn't the greatest but it'll get the job done
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

I have found that the Remington Gold Saber feeds even in guns that have problems with other JHP. It has a hard jacket and a rounded profile that feeds like ball in most guns. If whatever you're shooting is giving you concern, try the Remington. I think most modern guns are made to be reliable with JHP and it's seldom an issue. Maybe an individual gun and round has a problem, but it's rare.

I can remember when you just weren't tactical unless you were carrying a 1911 full of the Speer "flying ashtray" 200gr JHP. It was super short, the lead was soft and deformed easy, and two or three unloading/reloading of your chambered round would squash it into the case. I had a couple jobs a month back then throating 1911s and tuning magazines just to feed that load.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have the Critical Defense ammo in my CW9. I have fired a lot of it through the CW9 to test its functioning before actually carrying it. No problems here with it and I too have read some good reports of its persormance in actual shootings.
    I'd love to see those reports if you happen to have them stored somewhere.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The thing to remember is NONE of the typical cartidges we carry are guaranteed to stop a BG with one shot so pick a hp that your pistol shoots 100% of the time and practice bullet placment and double taps. A well placed .22lr is better than a 44mag that is not placed well.
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Where are you getting your information?

And no SD load could possibly be more favored than Speer Gold Dot, and here's one shining example:

ATK's Speer Gold Dot Selected by French Police as New Service Ammunition
    Potential Total Contract Value Over $14M Means 250,000 officers in France to Carry Gold Dot

French Police, Gendarmerie, Customs and Corrections Agencies All to Use 9mm Gold Dot

MINNEAPOLIS, June 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) and its international teammate Humbert CTTS SAS have received a contract to supply Speer Gold Dot 9mm ammunition as the new duty ammunition for the entire French police department. The contract value, with options, is potentially worth more than $14 million over four years and would supply Gold Dot high performance ammunition to all 250,000 police officers in France, including the French police, the French Gendarmerie, French Customs and French Corrections. The contract takes effect immediately.

"This French law enforcement opportunity demanded intense specification controls, rigorous performance testing, and a top quality product," said Mark DeYoung, ATK Senior Vice President and Vice President Armament Systems. "The technology and manufacturing processes utilized in our Speer Gold Dot ammunition are state of the art and result in a highly reliable and capable product. This award once again proves that Speer Gold Dot is the ammunition of choice for law enforcement."
    French authorities spent two years developing their ammunition specifications and testing protocol. This award expands ATK's international footprint, highlighting the company's signature expertise in delivering innovative solutions to meet evolving law enforcement requirements in the United States and around the world.
    ATK is a premier aerospace and defense company with more than 18,000 employees in 22 states, Puerto Rico and internationally, and revenues in excess of $4.7 billion. News and information can be found on the Internet at ATK is a Fortune 500 aerospace, defense, security, and sporting products company.

Certain information discussed in this press release constitutes forward-looking statements as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Although ATK believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, it can give no assurance that its expectations will be achieved. Forward-looking information is subject to certain risks, trends and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Among those factors are: assumptions related to the timely delivery of ammunition to the French law enforcement agencies; changes in governmental spending, budgetary policies and product sourcing strategies; the company's competitive environment; the terms and timing of awards and contracts; and economic conditions. ATK undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements. For further information on factors that could impact ATK, and statements contained herein, please refer to ATK's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and any subsequent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

ATK's Speer Gold Dot Selected by French Police as New Service Ammunition -- MINNEAPOLIS, June 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
    Are we talking about the same cheese eating surrender monkeys that made the Chauchat? I wouldnt follow the lead of the French for all the tea in China.... Im just sayin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links