Have you ever had to fire in self-defense?

This is a discussion on Have you ever had to fire in self-defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I doubt that many of us have. I have not, but it would be valuable to know the experiences of others. What was the situation? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Have you ever had to fire in self-defense?

I doubt that many of us have. I have not, but it would be valuable to know the experiences of others.
    What was the situation? The outcome? Any legal ramifications?

I see you're new here.....

Welcome

Why dont you tell us a bit about yourself? Did you post in the intro thread?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Welcome. Have you tried the function?

See: Have you used a gun for self defense?
    Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it?
    How many of us have actually been shot at?

Lessons can be learned here....or by searching/reading...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Seemed like a good question.
    About me--I'm 63 years old and got my first gun at age 6. I'm a shooter/collector specializing in vintage DA revolvers. Shot competition trap in the 70's. I handload .38/.357/.32 H and R. I got my carry permit 2 years ago. My preferred carry piece is a 442 loaded with Speer 158gr. LSWCHP/4.7 gr. Unique (815 fps chronographed) No, I'm not a troll:)
    BugDude likes this.

Congrats on getting your permit.
    I have drawn my weapon twice but never had to fire it thankfully. It seems that sometimes when they see resistance the threats go away.

Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael. I have never had to draw or fire on anyone, but had a situation back in 1986 that has haunted me ever since. I usually got off work at 9pm and was in the habit of stopping at a little market nearby for a cup of coffee to keep me alert for the 45 minute drive home. This particular night I paused in front of the market but decided to not stop and go ahead home. I looked at my watch--it was 9:02 pm. At 9:03 pm a 14 year old kid with a single barrel 12 guage walked into the market, killed the clerk...a 28 year old mother of 3....and cleaned out the cash register. Had I followed my usual routine, I would have been in the store, armed, though with only a Browning .25, and might have been able to save that woman's life. I might also have left my wife a widow with 2 young children to raise...that is my only consolation for not having been there for that clerk. I do know that if I'm ever in a situation where I can make a difference I will be better armed and better trained.
    SIguy--I have used the search function and already read the links you listed. The question I asked was not covered by the results I found.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I had to run from a pack of wild chicks once.

VIP Member
    The use of a gun without having to fire is one thing. I think you'll find most people will choose not to discuss defensive shootings they have been involved in though.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The closest I have ever came to needing to use my firearm in SD was Christmas Eve 2005. I stopped at a gas station near my home on my way home from a Christmas party at my in-laws house. It was about 11pm, I was just running in to get cigarettes while my wife and 3 children waited in the car. There was a guy in the store lighting a cigarette from one of the lighters in the display. The clerk told him he couldn't smoke in the store and had to leave. On his way out he looked down into my wallet as I payed. When I came out the door the guy was standing to my right just past the windows in the front of the store. My car was to my left, I turned to walk to the car when the guy asked to "borrow" some money. He looked kinda seedy so I ignored his request and continued walking to the car. Then he yelled "hey MF give me your money" being that we were the only 2 in the lot, I knew he was talking to me. I turned in his direction and seen that he was reaching behind him. I swept my coat back and put my hand on my firearm and before I was able to draw on him he recognized the error in his ways and turned to run. I returned to the car and called the police to report the incident and give a description of the guy. I never heard anything else about the incident except for the lady that worked at the gas station told me that the police came to look at their surveillance video. Unfortunately I was on camera but the BG was just out of view.

The thing that haunted me most about the incident was my own stupidity and lack of forethought, not about the way I handled the BG (sure I didn't handle it textbook perfect as I let the guy get behind me especially after he addressed me in that manner), but in the way I put my family in jeopardy by where I had parked and the situation I left them in. It was snowing and cold so I had left the car running and parked just out of my sight with my wife who does not carry and 3 young children 2 of which were strapped into car seats. My wife automatically locks the doors when she and the kids decide to wait in the car when I run in some place. But, if the guy decided that he wanted to steal a new SUV that was already running, how well was the glass in the drivers side window going to stop him? Also, if he was going to steal the vehicle, would he have allowed my wife the time to get out of the car and unbelt the kids in the back seat and get them out? I don't think so.

Luckily he didn't go that route, but it has forever changed my actions while in and around the car. For instance: When entering the vehicle in a parking lot, first I look in the vehicle to make sure there is no one in it (I know, urban legend but hey, it could happen) then I am the last one to enter while watching to make sure no one approaches. For the longest time my wife just thought it was chivalry when I opened her door for her. Next: If I am running in some place, the car gets turned off and my wife has the keys, doors are locked and it is parked where I can maintain eye contact. If this can't happen, we are in a not so safe area, or something just doesn't feel right either I don't stop or they come in with me. I would feel better if she were armed also but at this point she has no interest in getting her CHL so until that time we get to play by my "paranoid" safety rules. Sometimes they get annoyed with my safety rules but they humor me and I don't feel like I am leaving them out there as easy targets.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I hurt somebody's feelings, once.

And, I don't remember the color of the boathouse at Hereford.

Actually, yes, I have fired in defense of myself and others, and a twisted, distorted version even made it into an article in a
    national business magazine, of all things. The article was about police departments learning from "mistakes of the past." Actually, with my more current training in how to handle emotionally disturbed persons, I know I should have shot him several seconds sooner than I did. The situation, basically, was suicide by cop, at a post office in a quite "nice" part of a very large southern city. Suicidal people being very dangerous, it is possible he might have
    presented a danger to a private citizen carrying concealed, but most likely, he presented a
    threat only to a visibly armed person capable of assisting him in his efforts to self-destruct. (Cutting his own throat had not worked; he had cut his trachea, but missed the major blood vessels. Yes, it did, indeed, look like something from a horror movie.)

Most folks who have been involved in deadly force incidents will not talk about it publicly, if they are smart. My incident was long ago, and all threat of lawsuits have passed, though because a death occurred, I do have to be careful what I say from a criminal law standpoint. It is not so much from concern about being prosecuted for the past incident, but having my words being against me in a future incident. My name is distinctive, and very easy to google.

Why do I talk about my incident? Well, that magazine article is one motivator; it implied I/we made a mistake. I beg to differ.

VIP Member
    Welcome from SC

... and 'No'.

Yes, several times. In Vietnam, and a couple while active duty LEO.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwings View Post
    I stopped at a gas station near my home on my way home from a Christmas party at my in-laws house. It was about 11pm, I was just running in to get cigarettes while my wife and 3 children waited in the car.
    Cigarettes - they're going to kill you one way or another.
    Fisher10, 9MMare and Sfire like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    Seemed like a good question.
    About me--I'm 63 years old and got my first gun at age 6. I'm a shooter/collector specializing in vintage DA revolvers. Shot competition trap in the 70's. I handload .38/.357/.32 H and R. I got my carry permit 2 years ago. My preferred carry piece is a 442 loaded with Speer 158gr. LSWCHP/4.7 gr. Unique (815 fps chronographed) No, I'm not a troll:)
    Welcome aboard. Hope you'll stick around and post pictures of some of your collection.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.

Anyone who uses 158 lswc over Unique for a defensive load is OK inmy book. Welcome.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links