Writer problem

This is a discussion on Writer problem within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Betty, would you consider running away with me? And in any case, my best to Rob Pincus. We filed our second episode at Valhalla a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writer problem

VIP Member
    Betty, would you consider running away with me? And in any case, my best to Rob Pincus. We filed our second episode at Valhalla a month or so ago, and we look forward to going back in Season 4.
    Hmmm. You\'re old enough to be my dad. You got a son? ;) :P

Since SWAT is all web based, Rob is the only one of my co-workers I\'ve seen in person (he used to live nearby). Tell him I said hi! (And wave a copy of the May 04 issue around and tell him what\'s up with the weirdo on the cover.) ;) I have no doubt he is a great instructor.

2. Remove Ads

repeat after me: small avatars are your friend....small avatars are your friend...small avatars are your friend....

>>I\'m considering going to a SIG 225 for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I don\'t like cocked-and-locked guns for off-body>>

I love my SIG 225s, great for cary too IMO. Then again, the 228 is *barely* any bigger but has a capacity of around 4-5 more shots and is just as good for carry I think. I\'ve been alternating between the 225 and 228 lately.

Hey Spacemanspiff - are you saying my avatar is too much!?? There can never be too much of ME!!!! Just kidding, I\'ll see about resizing that pic.

Oh - where does your name spacemanspiff come from? Seems like I\'ve heard that somewhere - is it something band/music related??

Daniel

wasnt your avatar, century...its been fixed now...

check out my groups in panel 5.

i rule!

DC Founder
    Originally posted by spacemanspiff
    repeat after me: small avatars are your friend....small avatars are your friend...small avatars are your friend....
    :P

Okay so I don\'t write for gun mags, but I do write for hunting mags. And I do CCW -- as does my wife -- every day. The regular use of words doesn\'t preclude the regular carry of a CCW.

;)

Birddog, the first linE I wrote when I started this thread, had to do with a picture.

When a buyer/reader looks at a magazine, what does he see first? What makes the first important impact?
    The pictures!

Look at the picture on the cover of Nov/Dec issue of Concealed Carry Magazine.

If I were a gun knowledgable writer, I would never use this picture. Way too many problems, yet this picture is supposed to tell a positive story.

This is what I see in many gun magazines today.

Kahrman
    Originally posted by spacemanspiff
    But centuryhouse, yours might be a tad too big :yes:

What is so wrong with the picture that has you all upset about it?

The clips are a slightly larger size than the belt? So what? The j-clip will still keep the holster in the pants even if the belt tension does not...

That the gun is sitting low enough to prevent obtaining a full firing grip? Seems to me that is what the holster is designed to do. Lots of people carry this way -- its not ideal, but it can help with concealment. Lets face it, a tuckable holster is not a speed demon in the first place.

You may not like the holster, and it may not be for you -- but I don\'t see the problem with the picture. I think it accurately represens the intended use of the holster and the way people actually use them.

What am I missing?

Have you seen the recent H&K catalog cover showing a loaded mag with the rounds inserted backwards? Now that I could see complaining about...

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!:rock:

DDGator: H&K first, all you have to do is look at the people that are no longer with H&K.

You restated two of the problems that were noted in my first post.

Appendix position is doable with the right equipment. Perhaps some people would be able to get comfortable while seated or bent over with this holster. Might even be able to present from this location.

My build is average, about 6\', 165lb, with a 33\" waist. Walking around, not bad, seated, not really comfortable, driving, would not appear to be good as far as access.

Looking at most of this type of picture, it is easy to tell that in most cases, the pictured has not worn the product. Yes, I know models.

The problem I have is this: Those doing the pics, testing, etc, are not testing a pair of pants, rather something that my life may depend upon. As a result, I expect the very best of these people.

Do you think we are getting the best?

I am fairly certain that is a picture of Tim Schmidt, the person who wrote the detailed review of that very same holster in the magazine -- and addressed all of the issues you mention.

According to the article, Tim did wear the holster for some period of time (a week? I can\'t find a copy of the article right now) and reported on his experiences -- including some difficulty in bending at the waist. As far as I know, this holster and other tuckables like it -- such as the Galco USA -- are designed for appendix carry. Many people will say that SmartCarry holsters don\'t work -- but they work for me and others, so long as you understand the limitatons. It is a very personal thing.

Many people in the CCW world don\'t carry a 5\" all-steel 1911 in a Milt Sparks holster inside their Royal Robbins 5.11 pants and under a CCW vest.

Are you getting the best? Yes -- if you are part of the intended audience of this magazine. This is the only magazine out there devoted purely to concealed carry isssues for the average armed citizen. I think the magazine gets better with every issue. You can either support this grassroots effort, or be content with the major media conglomerate mags on the market.

I know quite a few gun writers and they all carry all the time.

Maybe you just need to read a different magazine.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links