Writer problem

This is a discussion on Writer problem within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most writers have the same problem when it comes to concealed carry. They do not carry! The picture on the magazine (CCW) is a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writer problem

Writer problem

Most writers have the same problem when it comes to concealed carry. They do not carry!

The picture on the magazine (CCW) is a good clue. Look at the pic. Going to be fun just getting the gun out of the holster. If belt is tight, real fun, and if loose, the holster will move as the retaining device too big for the belt!

In fact, look at many holster ads, do you really think the individual in the ad, has a clue? Look at the pics in articles, same thing. Look at belt size, compared to belt holster loops. Look at holster position. Look at the lack of a cover garment. They are selling the product, not showing you how to wear it.

Experts..lots of them. I started carrying a concealed firearm more than 50 years ago, and consider myself a student, some of these writers could not spell 'concealed' 5 years ago, but are now 'experts'.

For trainers, deal only with professional gunman . Listen to them. Forget the wantabee gun writers.

Rant over As you can see, somethings get under my very old, thin, skin.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Most writers have the same problem when it comes to concealed carry. They do not carry!
    Untrue, especially at SWAT. And a lot of those professional gunmen are writers.

Instead of ranting, try something constructive and write a letter to Tim Schmidt, publisher and editor of Concealed Carry Magazine, and give him suggestions. Heck, write an article and submit it. He's dishing out a lot of dough to put forth a new publication that he produces to inform fellow gun owners. I'm sure he'd be all ears.

Many of theses writers do more for our cause than those who have been around guns a lot longer.

Because someone does something differently than you does not mean that person is doing it wrong. Those newfangled gadgets have a purpose for someone.

As the youth must learn from the old, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

Originally posted by Betty
    Untrue, especially at SWAT. And a lot of those professional gunmen are writers.

Instead of ranting, try something constructive and write a letter to Tim Schmidt, publisher and editor of Concealed Carry Magazine, and give him suggestions. Heck, write an article and submit it. He's dishing out a lot of dough to put forth a new publication that he produces to inform fellow gun owners. I'm sure he'd be all ears.

Many of theses writers do more for our cause than those who have been around guns a lot longer.

Because someone does something differently than you does not mean that person is doing it wrong. Those newfangled gadgets have a purpose for someone.

As the youth must learn from the old, even old dogs can learn new tricks.
    Dittto

Opinions

Nice thing about them, we can all have them.

On this subject, we will have to agree to disagree.

Just went to the web site, 12/04 issue. Phil Messina's article might be ok. Been similar articles in both Police, and L&O recently I believe.

Pat Rogers doing a gun review--if that is the retired NYPD guy, might be ok.

The rest are all new to me. the subject matter? Don't know.

Gun reviews, and product reviews in general, are an attempt to sell a product. Almost no editor will accept, or publisher publish a bad review.

When is the last time you saw a review of a product or service that said, this product is worthless? This school was not worth going to?

Gun magazines can be fun to read. Remember, they exist to make money.

VIP Member
    Hmm... Seems like I recall us losing at least one advertiser (Benelli, I think?) because of a negative review of one of their products.

DC Founder
    Many of the photos that find their way into magazines are stock photos from a photo agency or taken by the magazine themselves as stock photos to be used at some future date. But regardless, I wouldn't get upset with a holster shoved a little too deep in someone's waistband as depicted in the photo. I have shoved mine a bit deep when I wanted the grip to snug up when I absolutely positively did not want the weapon to be discovered. Have you ever been around a bunch of people that carry? You will see all kinds of technically incorrect carry rigs that work just fine for that person. Hell, I carry a full size 1911 in a Commander sized holster all the time. Some would criticize but hey, it works for me. And before you start in, the sight does NOT snag on the end of the holster.

I have seen no widespread evidence in CCM, SWAT, or any of the other gun magazines I read (and I read alot of them) that the writers don't shoot or carry. I accept and reject article content by a method I can't explain. I have rejected advice from experts and accepted some by rookies. I accept what works best for me.

And Betty's correct when she said, "Many of theses writers do more for our cause than those who have been around guns a lot longer." Look at the big picture and don't get worked up over some small detail that goes against your experience or that you don't agree with. Life's too short to worry about it.

Sorry

Betty, did not know you represented SWAT.

Your writers could be an exception.

Bumper, the picture could be an exception.

IMO we need more skeptics. :)

It is not reasonable to accept the information published in an effort to sell merchandise/services, at it full value without investigation.

VIP Member
    I've worked for multiple publications. At SWAT our advertisers do not "buy" our articles and opinions with their ad dollars. We hold ourselves to a pretty high standard and we respect our readers. And at SWAT, you get authors and staff who practice what they preach and know what they're talking about. I'm pretty proud to work for them, considering the other publications I've worked for.

I've worked for one non-firearm publication where a major advertiser turned into a black hole, slowly bought up our magazine to gain muscle, and spat up their own catalog.

It's not uncommon to find that most articles positively rate a product. I doubt anybody wants a "Loser's Digest" when they pick up a magazine. What's better or worse than a similar product is best found in comparison articles.

As for image and editorial errors, things happen when you're on deadline. You can stare at something up to 2am and not see a glaring error on front of your face until you have 100,000 copies printed. If you're going to work for a publication, you've got to have thick skin or you'll freak out and start popping pills. Sometimes you're on a budget and have to make do. I've had to make do with 72 dpi JPEG images before - bad quality for press.

I have a newspaper page on my wall that reminds me that I'm only human - the editors of that newspaper forgot to add a headline and left in giant greeked text (filler text that looks like: weyitai mzxncbkausygfj). I've seen backwards images and other things. Heck, I once scanned in a slide backwards and ended up printing the only left-handed Uzi in existence. :o

In a recent HK catalog cover shot, somebody loaded a magazine backwards and it was right there in the foreground.

I also have a few stories about photo shoots where you're not only working with hyperactive models and a drunk assistant, but you're shooting out in the middle of a city where the bums are eyeballing expensive camera gear and trying to watch the models dress.

To Betty:

You go girl...

To KC135:

What she said :P

Always bad form to jump into the middle of something for your first post.. but...

I write for CCM. Am I a "gun writer?" I guess so. I have been writing professionally for my career and shooting all my life. I have been writing about guns for a year or so and I carry every day.

I think my writing is pretty good -- at least people tell me so. And no one has called me on the carpet for any mistakes I have made -- as people are very quick to do. I like writing for CCM because it is about carrying a firearm and the practicalities of carry -- as opposed to the highly technical stuff they spew in some magazines about ballistics that no one understands. You can see the reviews in CCM are much more practical in nature.

I don't know of any gun writers that don't carry -- but maybe there are some... I guess. Do you know any or are you just speculating?

Photos sometimes don't represent the ideal -- things often have to be altered or repositioned to make the photos more appealing. You say that holster makers are just selling the holster, not showing you how to use it... Of course they are! How do you sell a holster by showing a picture of a cover garment? And sometimes magazines will set up photos for more appeal in a layout. That being said -- I don't see many (or any) objectionable photos in CCM -- like people with their fingers on the trigger when they shouldn't be.

As far as the training goes -- I agree with you. Are there "wanabe gunwriters" out there who don't carry guns that are trying to sell training? Who would go to such a person for training?

The reviews I have written are not an attempt to sell a product. I review guns that I think are of interest to people and that I am able to get my hands on. Not working for a huge magazine conglomerate, so I don't have companies knocking down my door to send samples for review. CCM has never asked me to write a review of a particular firearm or changed a word of my content. I tell them what I have access to and they tell me if they are interested -- then it's all up to me. The fact is that I like, or at least can appreciate, most of the stuff I review is because I review quality products -- that is what I am interested in, and that is what the readers are interested in.

I am working on a review now that takes a few swipes at a S&W product and points out problems with it. I don't think Tim is going to take out his red pen...

I don't know exactly what you are reacting to, but don't lump all "gun writers" into some stereotype. If you see something wrong in my articles -- school me -- I will happily accept the criticism.

DDGator (Duane)
    Duane@Daiker.net

Wish

Really wish all writers carried 24/7/365, but many cannot do so legally. Writers from Illinois, California, and a few other states that are no issue or may issue.

Some, just as some leos, carry only part time. Some work where they cannot carry. Some just do not want to be bothered.

Betty, perhaps I am wrong, and the non gun carriers could be in the minority. I hope so.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by KC135
    Betty, perhaps I am wrong, and the non gun carriers could be in the minority. I hope so.
    I think you are, KC135 but who knows. There are alot of people that work in various trades and professions that don't meet my personal standards. I have seen writers I don't agree with, although most of them have been members of the liberal media :) and writers for gun magazines are much the same. A writer writes of his/her experiences, opinions or what they have heard (news writers do it all the time) and most know not to just blindly accept everything they read. I like reading differing opinions, even if I don't like what they are saying. The more you read about a topic, by different writers, reality will eventually become clear. I usually feel I glean some good information even from bad articles.

And Duane, for the record, I like CCM's content and enjoy your reviews. Any plans on reviewing the new Kimber Warrior when it comes out?

Hey Bumper,

Thanks! I really enjoy writing for CCM. Gun reviews are difficult to write because they take a lot of time -- I don't review a gun unless I have spent some time carrying it and lived with it for a while.

I would love to review the new Kimber if I can get my hands on one... I will see what I can do.

On the other issue -- I am sure that gun writers in California have some problems... Fortunately, I live in Florida which is a "shall issue" state and a recent survey suggests that 1 in 3 cars on the road contains a gun!

Sounds like a 12-step program...hi, my name is...and I\'m a gunwriter!

Anyhow, first post here...I\'m the host of SHOOTING GALLERY on The Outdoor Channel, and I carry every day (an STI LS-9 9mm built by Burns Custom Pistols or the \"summer gun,\" a Colt Mustang .380 from Scott, MacDougal & Associates; both in Alessi IWB holsters). I\'m considering going to a SIG 225 for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I don\'t like cocked-and-locked guns for off-body (fanny pack, briefcase, etc.) carry, and the nature of my work mandates more and more of that.

Betty, would you consider running away with me? And in any case, my best to Rob Pincus. We filed our second episode at Valhalla a month or so ago, and we look forward to going back in Season 4.

Michael B

DC Founder
    Welcome to the forum, MBane666 and congrats on the new season! I have caught the show a few times but have to admit I don\'t stay in front of the TV much anymore. I willl look up the show in the guide annd try to catch it next time ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links