Wisconsin Will Only Honor A VA Non Resident?

This is a discussion on Wisconsin Will Only Honor A VA Non Resident? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wisconsin has done what I thought would never happen. They will honor a states Non Resident permit/license but not their Resident permit/license. You can go ...

Thread: Wisconsin Will Only Honor A VA Non Resident?

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Wisconsin has done what I thought would never happen. They will honor a states Non Resident permit/license but not their Resident permit/license. You can go to the WI DOJ Page at the link below and see it for yourself.
    WI Department of Justice - Law Enforcement Services

This happened because of the way WI law reads on who they will honor based on what type of a back ground check the state runs on it applicants. I was told that FL runs its background checks through the FBI and not the NICS program so WI will not honor FL. Will just have to wait and see if there are any more twists in WI and who they will honor.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

I don't see any difference in the process between Resident and Non...looks like they are both processed thru Central Criminal Records Exchange.

I don't know what the difference is but there has to be some difference. They wouldn't go out of their way to just say Non Resident for no reason.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    That is extremely bizarre!

There's a good joke on the page, too. Hawaii permits would be recognized if any actually existed.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the update, Gary. Now I have to make a new map for the class Sat. Well, it seems I have to do that every week, anyway.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Colorado added WI to the list of states they would honor today. Things have been changing very fast the last few weeks. More changes in this short period of time that I have seen.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

I had a VA non resident permit at one time, but let it drop. Anyhow, for initial permit BOTH residents and non residents had to go thru FBI fingerprinting, etc. But the renewal process was different for resident and non residents. NON residents had to go thru same length initial process, but not Va residents. It is possible renewal process for NON residents meets WI standards, but not renewal process for VA RESIDENTS.

Also the Va State Police issue a non resident permit. Counties or cities issue Va resident permits. See link to non resident permit application. Note at bottom statement renewal requirements similar to initial requirements. Link

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    I had a VA non resident permit at one time, but let it drop. Anyhow, for initial permit BOTH residents and non residents had to go thru FBI fingerprinting, etc. But the renewal process was different for resident and non residents. NON residents had to go thru same length initial process, but not Va residents. It is possible renewal process for NON residents meets WI standards, but not renewal process for VA RESIDENTS.
    VA resident permits do not require fingerprints, but individual counties MAY require fingerprints for initial permit only (not renewals). Hopefully VA will drop the fingerprint requirement altogether, as it is not a crime-reducing measure and does nothing to add an administrative burden.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    VA resident permits do not require fingerprints, but individual counties MAY require fingerprints for initial permit only (not renewals). Hopefully VA will drop the fingerprint requirement altogether, as it is not a crime-reducing measure and does nothing to add an administrative burden.
    I have been over 10 years gone from Va. See my link above to Va State police requirements for NON resident permits. Non residents are required to submit fingerprints for both initial and renewal applications.

However, WI recognizes Pa where I now live and Pa does not require fingerprints for either resident or non residents for initial or renewal application.

Therefore, probably something different in either initial or renewal application of NON residents vs Va. residents, but given Pa example I would guess not fingerprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    That is extremely bizarre!

There's a good joke on the page, too. Hawaii permits would be recognized if any actually existed.
    Hawaii has permits. They just don't issue them. They're cheap too... only $10, not including the bribe you must need. They're also only good for the county that issues them, which is a neat trick for keeping you on the island you got the permit through.

Links