Pepper Spray a primer to a slow conversion of someone close to you?

This is a discussion on Pepper Spray a primer to a slow conversion of someone close to you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend has the mind set to come over to the CC side of things, when I moved out on my own for the first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pepper Spray a primer to a slow conversion of someone close to you?

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

Pepper Spray a primer to a slow conversion of someone close to you?

My girlfriend has the mind set to come over to the CC side of things,
    when I moved out on my own for the first time, I kept a hammer under my bed
    but has never had any interaction with guns. She's not afraid of them and knows I carry all the time. When we first talked about guns, she said she had no desire to own one but didn't mind me owning them. Her father and brother hunt, so it's not totally foreign to her. I'm being patient and letting her set the pace of introduction. We still don't live together, but I did tell her if/when we moved in together, I wanted to at least show her safe handling and clearance check lessons since she will be in the house with them all the time, She agreed to that.

I see the light slowly beginning to brighten, and over the past two years, we have had brief discussions on the topic of guns and self defense. While doing a little on-line window shopping for Christmas, I got the idea to get her a canister of pepper spray for her to keep around. While I want her to be safe, the idea is to put something in her hand thus planting the seeds of thought about looking deeper into self defense.

Has anyone else worked a long slow conversion of someone close to themselves? Any luck?

Any recommendations on pepper sprays?

Ladies, purse friendly styles worth it or all hype. She carries a large bag.

Thanks

Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Why not try to start her shooting 22 rifle at items that blow up like eggs , soda cans, fruit. Anything to keep it fun and some fun tagets like-
    Free Targets for Shooters!
    If you get her to just enjoy the 22's in a quite setting not a formal range and maybe bring her family into it if they all get along. Then she may let you ease her into some 22 handguns and so on. Just keep it enjoyable. Becarefull if you have to teach her anything. might be better if her mom or dad did the teaching..If your lady does not a have a type A personality the spray may also not be of interest. But haveing a can of bear spray for the car or house might not be bad for a starter and see how she takes that. She may ask about a small one to take with her...
    TN_Mike likes this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar

Pepper Spray

Try to get her the pepper gel instead of the spray,I believe it`s a bit better to use outdoors.

Get her FOX brand law enforcement grade pepper spray....It is 5,300,000 scoville heat units. I have been hit with it in a training class once and it is some BAD stuff.....won't blister the skin but will stop someone in their tracks while they sling snot and tears. You can buy it through Sportsman Guide dot com

Another vote for FOX brand here as well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    OP, have you ever tried suggesting a trip to the range as a "romantic" date night out?

According to Seinfeld, "make up" sex or conjucal-visit-sex is supposed to be some of the best. (Cue the Barry White music) Let me just say that I believe you're in for a treat if you can provide her with an opportunity to feel the ("virgin's" first time!) thrill and heart-beating excitement of gripping and fondling a deadly weapon, then shooting 50 to 100 penetrating rounds through...um...excuse me...but I've got to go take a cold shower right now.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    You've dated this girl two years and haven't had a range date yet? Man, that happens in the first month of dating for me, even with chicks that haven't fired a gun in their life. The trick is to make it fun for them, use your natural marketing abilities and fluff the idea. Do safety training at home away from other people where she may feel uncomfortable not knowing what she's doing. By the time you take her to the range she'll feel more confident and secure. Most importantly don't have her shoot something that's going to recoil hard, a .22 is perfect. If you want to ruin a girl's interest in shooting sports put a J frame .357 in her hand and she's done.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I have it on the highest authority (my wife) that first dates should be to places with clean, decent restrooms. Very important.

When I read the title of this thread I thought it literally ment to spray a primer with pepper spray so that it might irritate the shooter upon discharge of the round and slow down thier interest in shooting.

Glad to see that this was not the case.

A .22 or soft shooting 9mm (Glock 19) would be a good way to introduce someone to firearms.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The way I see it, handling a firearm is pretty easy. Most guns are designed to be very simple to operate.

But you wouldn't guess that, listening to most people talk. They act like it's some difficult, special skill that requires training. A revolver? You point and pull the trigger. Most semi-autos have an obvious safety, you rack the slide, you're in business. It ain't rocket science.

The other side of the equation involves being willing and able to kill or grievously wound another person. You can offer to "teach" someone how to use a gun, but you can't teach a person to have the warrior mindset. Rather, for each individual, that's going to be a personal choice. Most never make that choice. Some come to it of their own accord through reflection, and some - having been victimized - are driven to it.

The order of operations is, I would argue, that a person decides that they are ready to defend themselves against any and all threats, and then that person decides to take steps to make that decision a reality. Maybe then, at that point, he or she will start training for physical combat, carrying OC, practicing with bladed and blunt weapons, and some may opt for firearms. Once a person has made that choice, then your input may be welcomed.

Until then, I recommend not "working on" the person because he or she isn't ready internally.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Cool

Pepper sprays come in a variety of sizes to fit specific needs.

Make sure you get a quality police grade of spray or foam.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

http://lapolicegear.ecomm-search.com...og=policestuff

I can not get my wife to carry on her person so we get her handbags from Coronado Leather.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...-handbags.html

Good luck in your quest.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I see your in the Richmond area. Why not bring her to the new range that is opening in February. Will be a much nicer setting most gun ranges. Besides the different shooting ranges it will have a retail store and a cafe to relax and get a bite to eat in.

Colonial Shooting Academy
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've taught several "don't like guns" women to shoot. I was suprised to learn that they are excellent students who will quickly become excellent shots. Having trained women in shooting and combat they have one big advantage in that they will do exactly what you tell them. Men have all sorts of "secret dreams of glory" and preconcieved Rambo ideas that you must overcome and are much harder to train.

If possible do as much as this list as possible:

Make it fun - don't associate shooting with defense a first - its just a fun thing to do.
    Outside and not at a formal range if possible
    22 revlover loaded with CD caps
    Double hearing protection - especially if there are other shooters
    Move up to 22 LR on the first day - then stop.
    Don't bring your gun - don't shoot yourself except to demonstrate with the 22
    Big targets - close and "any hit on target is a success"
    About 50 rounds it is time to stop

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdridley View Post
    Get her FOX brand law enforcement grade pepper spray....It is 5,300,000 scoville heat units. I have been hit with it in a training class once and it is some BAD stuff.....won't blister the skin but will stop someone in their tracks while they sling snot and tears. You can buy it through Sportsman Guide dot com
    My nephew who is a LEO related about a truck driver friend of his going through NYC. Some bad guys jumped on the running board of his truck and he used his super-duper pepper spray to repel them. Found out quickly that it's illegal in NYC. He had a bushel of trouble over that. Upshot is that he now takes the mileage hit and goes around NYC and will never go through it again.

As a side note, I use a streaming wasp spray and it looks like it might be a great BG deterrent. Shoots about 25 feet and will kill a wasp instantly. Cheap and probably illegal to use on BG's.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    As a side note, I use a streaming wasp spray and it looks like it might be a great BG deterrent. Shoots about 25 feet and will kill a wasp instantly. Cheap and probably illegal to use on BG's.
    I'd advise caution on this tactic--every can of bug spray I've ever read has a warning that it is "a violation of federal law to use in a manner inconsistent with its labeling" or some such jargon.

Better than ending up dead, but definitely a good way to lose your right to carry forever via a felony assault charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links