Question about the differences between handgunlaw and USACarry web sites.

This is a discussion on Question about the differences between handgunlaw and USACarry web sites. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the way the map in USACarry works better but there are so many discrepancies between these two sites it concerns me. I'm more ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229
  • 3 Post By Gary Slider

Thread: Question about the differences between handgunlaw and USACarry web sites.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Question about the differences between handgunlaw and USACarry web sites.

I like the way the map in USACarry works better but there are so many discrepancies between these two sites it concerns me. I'm more of a believer in the handgunlaw site as I feel he is actually working day to day to keep it on target. I do realize both sites are only advisory and your always best to check each state your traveling to before loading up but still wondering why these two sites are so out of sink. In particular I'm looking at Wisconsin. As this is my state (now) and new to the CC licensing it's reciprocity with other states is most likely more in flux than others.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Handgun law seems to me to be far more up to date but as you said always check. One of the best parts of handgun law is they have the list of updates on the last page of each state. I use handgun law every time I travel and just verify if it hasn't seen an update for that specific state in a while.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I wouldn't expect either of them to be totally up to date on a state such as Wisconsin, which is currently going through some changes. Give them a month or so. In the meantime, make sure you're up on your state laws, just to be safe.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Gary Slider, a member here, owns handgunlaw.us...if you have concerns, I'd give him a shout...
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Handgunlaw ..... is way ahead of the NRA site as well. I like that they provide links to the laws when they know them, etc. as well. So far, I haven't found any site that keeps up to date as well as they do, and put the work into it that they do.

A lot of people keep them updated on changes, so they can modify the site, and provide them with links and info so that they can verify all of it before they put it on there. That takes a lot of work considering all of the changes that have been going on in the laws.

Gary Slider is a member here, and I know I've expressed my appreciation for what they do for us.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Thank you for the Kind words about Handgunlaw.us. But it was said more than once in this thread already to verify. Always verify as anyone can make an error. Handgunlaw.us is way ahead of the NRA site. They are over a year behind on updating some info. That is what happens when you get to big and have so many webpages. They cover a huge area also. Handgunlaw.us covers Concealed Carry. There are 57 State and Territory Pages and about 10 major Documents that need to be updated. I found out that dating all pages with the last changes and letting people know what was updated makes it easier for everyone including me. We have a lot fewer pages than the NRA. I would hate to have to keep up that site. Today was a very busy day. I have put in about 6 hours working on the site. Most of that time was spent on contacting people and trying to find out additional information. Email and Land Line. Researching and checking. Since Wisconsin went Shall Issue I have been very busy. You can see that by just looking at the Updates page. I have updated the site everyday for the last three days and 5 times this month already. Usually I can go 5 to 7 days without making an update. I don't update a page when the change happens. I schedule them but when something important comes up I usually make it ASAP. Firefox has made it easier. With two mouse clicks it goes out and checks about 140 websites every day and tells me if there has been a change in any one of those sites scanned. That saves me a ton of time.

I really like the USA Carry map. Eric just came on board with us and he and Steve are going to see what they can do about building us an app to enter your Permit/licenses and create a map that tells you where you can carry taking into consideration those states that only honor Resident Permit/Licenses. Those 6 states have made it more difficult. Now WI has stated they will just honor the VA Non Resident License but not their resident. We don't know how we are going to handle that on our create a map application. That newe application is a ways down the road but there are just 4 of us keeping the site going. What I don't like about USA Carry is all the ads.
    Every time I look at Handgunlaw.us I am amazed how clean it looks. Ads just take away from everything. Nice to make some money but that was one thing Steve and I decided before Handgunlaw.us was born. No Ads and no chat board. I have run a chat board and they take a ton of time.

I also answer every email. Hopefully I answer them quickly and I usually do but I also have an extended family I have to spend time with. If you have a question the best way to contact me is by clicking on Contact Us at the bottom of the main page at Handgunlaw.us Please give me time to reply. PM's are the worse way to contact me. I have my preferences set to contact me but it doesn't always happen.

I don't like to post that much. Important Information as I have find it I post but the problem with the written word is you don't have the voice inflection and body language which means so much in a conversation between people. To many times what we read is not what the person said.

But thank you again for the Kind words about Handgunlaw.us. The best thing I can say is we try to do our best.
    ArkhmAsylm, SIGguy229 and TVille like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Maverickx50, Sorry I didn't answer your question. NM, CO and ND have WI listed on their Official State website on Reciprocity as honoring WI. MT doesn't yet and it may be a little while. They are slow but I have talked directly to them and they will honor the WI License. They didn't even know WI had listed them until I talked to them. MT Honors everyone who runs a background check. by their law. Wyoming actually told me they honor WI but I haven't added that yet. They have messed me up in the past and I will wait for them to list them. Some states are just slow.

Case in Point. Maine signed with Michigan and Pennsylvania almost 2 months ago. Talked to Maine today and they said they will post it when they have time to do it. But it has been two months since they signed the agreements. Both MI and PA list Maine as a state that will honor them. PA even has the agreement on their reciprocity site. I have a copy of the signed MI/Maine Agreement. So our maps of who honors who is not exactly the same. I have to say the other sites are usually behind Handgunlaw.us in updating that info. Not always but most of the time.

Updated: I lied. Montana is not slow. They just updated their site and added WI
    http://174.121.134.105/enforcement/concealed-weapons/
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Gary, I want to tell you how much I appreciate the site and how much I like it. You do a hell of a job and the whole carry community is better off for it. Thank you very much.

To the OP, I would recommend handgunlaw.us over USAcarry any day.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Thanks so much for your input Gary. Like I said I trust your site above USA as I know you keep on top of the changes. Glad you agree with me as to the USA map interface. I know just enough to understand how time consuming building that sort of map will be. Having moved here (Wisconsin) from Minnesota just last spring I'm following this all pretty closely. I've suggested to others that they need to get a MN carry permit as well as I doubt MN will honor Wisconsin unless we change our training requirements. Not that I'm in favor but it is what it is. Thanks for your good work. It's appreciated by many including myself.

PS: Wisconsin Gov. signed the new Castle Law today.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

This site is a great reference. I always use it when I travel. What may be true today is not alway true next week.

Take the Utah and Nevada reciprocity. I lived in Nevada for almost 30 years and they seemed to be connected at the belly button with thier interchangeably. For example AN agreement you could buy a car in Utah drive it to Nevada then pay the taxes on it.
    So when They announced then end of reciprocity I was floored.
    Thanks Gary for this site.

Links