Defensive Carry banner

Most preferred carry pistol/size?

24K views 131 replies 114 participants last post by  TBob 
#1 ·
I was just curious what size pistol people carry. It got me thinkining because I usually carry a small pistol, but 9mm is my limit.

My carry pistols -

M&P9c - Not carried too often
Taurus 1911 - Love this pistol and carry it when wearing pants
Keltec PF9 - By far the most carried pistol. Pretty much goes where I go. (Also BUG for work)

Then I thought about why I carry it the PF9

I carry the PF9 because it's a 9mm with a decent punch (on both ends lol) and it's so small and light, with a remora holster, I can pretty much stick it in my waist and it'll stay there thanks to the Remora holster, or just put it in my pocket like a cell phone and go.... I usually don't even know it's there. It's so convienent.

the 1911 is a nice badass pistol to carry, but unless I'm wearing pants and put that belt on nice and tight (it's a 5.11 carry belt) it can become a hinderance. but it's nice to have 9 rounds of .45 on your waist....

Then there used to be the MP9c I love the pistol and with 14 rounds of 9mm I feel pretty safe. it's also much ligther than the 1911, but lately I have gotten the 1911 bug, so I've been sticking with that... otherwise it's a great carry pistol as well.

So I ask people what you carry, and why?

I won't make this a poll because it can be very specific, so hopefully the posts will explain :)

See less See more
#60 ·
I carry either a smith 642 (Airweight 38) or my Colt Mustang 380 in either IWB (most of the time) or pocket carry.
The most like scenario for having to use the gun would be a mugging, or other in-your-face altercation. I don't care to have a weapon capible of target shooting at 50 yards, but want one which is very concealible for the purpose of suprize, easy to get into action, and have enough firepower to stop someone with one or 2 shots.
I am a smaller guy (5-7) and concealing a 45 or other large gun is out of the question.

#63 ·
I switch between a Colt 1911, a Glock 19, a P7M8 H&K, and a Browning HP for a primary carry gun. All are carried IWB in either Fist or Brommeland holsters with a mag pouch on the opposite side. My constant BUG is an old Kel Tec P32 weak side back pocket in a wallet holster made by the same local guy who makes all my belts. On rare occasions I will carry a revolver, open carry working at the gunshop, and I will use either an N frame S&W in 10mm or an old Model 15 or 19. All of these in Fist OWB pancake holsters with either one speedloader or two moon clips (for the 10mm) in a pouch.

My wife carries her Glock 26 most of the time in a Fist IWB worn kind of far forward, but not quite appendix carry. Spare mag occasionally on her weak side but most often in her purse (and at least it's not lost in her glove compartment). Sometimes she carries her nickle plated Colt series 70 1911 in a Brommeland IWB a little further back than the Glock. Her BUG is a Seecamp .25 in a wallet holster, sometimes in her weak side back pocket and sometimes in her purse (I'm trying...).

#64 ·
100% SIG P238 .380, 100 gr. Buffalo Bore hardcast flatpoints. Will blow a 1/2" hole through anybody, including a car door.

I wear mine OWB; I hate IWB. Incidentally, keeping it in a pocket or some similar place might be convenient, but you'll get shot full of holes while you're fumbling and stumbling trying to get it out. Starting with my arms hanging straight down, I can draw and commence firing at the rate of 5 shots per second in less than 3/4 of a second, keep all the shots on a paper plate @ 8 feet. Add about 1/2 a second if it's under a shirt or jacket.

Plaid Red Tartan Pattern Design

#66 ·
Walther P99 AS 9mm full size with two extra magazines in a double mag holder by Tucker Gun Leather.

#67 ·
80% of the time a H&K P2000 or H&K P2000sk both in .40 S&W. Carried in either a T&T Gunleather or H.B.E. IWB.

10% a S&W 1911 Commander sized roundbutt in a T&T Gunleather IWB or Kahr PM9 in Don Hume IWB /DeSantis pocket

10% a Sig P226 in a Maimi Classic Shoulder Holster usually for long trips in the car or thoughts of Mike Hammer.

#68 ·
My G26 is my most comfortable carry, especially if I'm going to be driving or sitting a lot. My second-tier choices are a G30 and a commander or CCO 1911--very comforting to have a weapon loaded with those big old 230 gr. HPs.

#72 ·
My ultimate carry gun, found this summer after a couple of decades of searching and trying, is the Walther PPS in .40. Perfect size-to-capacity ratio for me, flexible mag options and super flat profile make it my #1 gun (along with the crisp trigger, solid accuracy and reliability I've experienced). Next up is my BG 380, used for back-pocket quick trips and shorts weather.

#78 ·
I carry a Glock 30 or 27 IWB. I like the weight, firepower and I am comfortable with the platform. I have a Colt Python, that I have a custom holster being made to try to carry it, IWB.

Alternatively, I carry a Ruger LCR in the pocket. It's quick and easy. I just take the gun/holster out of storage and slip it in the pocket. I also do IWB if I want less obvious concealment.

I have a Diamondback DB9 but it's in and out of the shop. The last problem should solve all preceding issues.

#80 ·
Typically, I carry a XD 40 service (4 inch barrel, standard size grip). I can conceal it comfortably year round; assuming I can wear a decent belt and loose shirt. I carry this 90% of the time, because I want as large, easy to shoot gun, as I can reasonably conceal.
In instances where I can't carry my XD, I have a Kel Tec P3AT which is small enough to conceal regardless of what I'm wearing (within reason :p).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.