Defensive Carry banner

Most preferred carry pistol/size?

24K views 131 replies 114 participants last post by  TBob 
#1 ·
I was just curious what size pistol people carry. It got me thinkining because I usually carry a small pistol, but 9mm is my limit.

My carry pistols -

M&P9c - Not carried too often
Taurus 1911 - Love this pistol and carry it when wearing pants
Keltec PF9 - By far the most carried pistol. Pretty much goes where I go. (Also BUG for work)

Then I thought about why I carry it the PF9

I carry the PF9 because it's a 9mm with a decent punch (on both ends lol) and it's so small and light, with a remora holster, I can pretty much stick it in my waist and it'll stay there thanks to the Remora holster, or just put it in my pocket like a cell phone and go.... I usually don't even know it's there. It's so convienent.

the 1911 is a nice badass pistol to carry, but unless I'm wearing pants and put that belt on nice and tight (it's a 5.11 carry belt) it can become a hinderance. but it's nice to have 9 rounds of .45 on your waist....

Then there used to be the MP9c I love the pistol and with 14 rounds of 9mm I feel pretty safe. it's also much ligther than the 1911, but lately I have gotten the 1911 bug, so I've been sticking with that... otherwise it's a great carry pistol as well.

So I ask people what you carry, and why?

I won't make this a poll because it can be very specific, so hopefully the posts will explain :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I find it more comfortable to carry a fairly long-barreled smaller-gripped weapon, so the balance point is lower than the top of the belt. Of course, some weapons are so light, that the balance point is irrelevant, but if I must point a weapon at an adversary, I like the forward-balance factor to help me feel where the muzzle is pointed.

Grip size is a major factor in my comfort. Double-stack-magazine autoloading pistols are great, in theory, but when the fight is at close range, having the weapon knocked or stripped from my grasp is a very discomforting prospect. My palms are large, but my fingers and thumbs are medium to short. A 1911 feels much more secure in my hand than a Glock, for example.

I reckon I am lucky, in that I can carry quite a bit of weight on my belt, without the need to cinch the belt tightly. With due attention to holster design, I can tote a 1911 or medium-to-large-frame revolver quite comfortably, all day. I don't have as much muscle mass in my shoulders, compared to my younger days, to help in concealment, but the subject at hand seems to be comfort, not concealment.

#3 ·
I've taken to carrying my 5" Springfield 1911. My Taurus just doesn't feel as nice, even though it carries 3 more rounds of .45ACP.

Other than my 1911, I will carry my Windicator 2" .357mag. I never feel undergunned with either. Just 'differently armed'. I don't see needing more than one or two of either (and if I need more than 8rds of .45ACP, or 6 .357mags I have bigger issues than I can handle alone).

#5 ·
40% .40 and .357 (Glock 23 hip and SP101 pocket carry)
10% .40 and .38 (G23 and Smith 442, essentially the same, just easier in dress trousers)
30% G23 solo with extra mag, usually Remora-ed (church carry)
10% .357 or .38 solo (gym shorts carry on a belt under my workout gear)
10% 9mm (when I feel guilty my G26 or Smith 910 haven't been on the stroll lately)

Is that 100%? Cause I never leave home without it.

#6 ·
My carry pistols -
1)Browning Hi-Power 9 - Not carried as often (guess because not DA ?)
2)Glock 22 40 - Carry often as dual setup with BUG (3)
3)S&W 337 Airlite 38 - By far the most carried pistol. Pretty much goes where I go
(inside or outside home with or without pocket holster).

I wish I liked the smaller M&P9c type guns but do not,,,, to short for my hand.
Do know 5 shots limit my answering to certain possibilities of encounters.

I have been considering the M&P9 lately,,,, probably will purchase one
sooner or later most likely a 9 maybe 40 since I have been checking out
9 & 40 carbine makers. Why? just like the idea of having a pistol type
rifle that shots either the 9 or 40.

I have a Marlin 44 mag rife and the Ruger Redhawk 44 mag.
I still like my revolvers ,,, if I run into multiple BG,s may cost me, someday.

#7 ·
75% M&P40 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck - this is my EDC and it's a great shooter.
25% PF-9 in a Crossbreed MiniTuck - great when wearing shorts.
Occasionally I'll carry my SP-101 as my BUG.

#8 ·
I carried a 3" Kimber M1911 for years (25 oz empty), recently switched over to a 4" Kimber M1911 (27 oz empty). Both are compact designs that hold 7+1 of .45ACP. The 3" is more comfortable in general, but the 4" has night sights some other nice features. I also have a full-sized Kimber M1911 in all steel (38 oz empty), but have only carried it a few times. The extra round it buys me isn't worth the extra weight, and its more difficult to conceal on me.

#9 ·
Glock 19 with Trijicon night sights 95% of the time, in either a right-handed or left-handed Brommeland Max-Con V holster. The only time it isn't with me is when I am in close fitting casual or formal settings, when I am carrying a Kahr PM9, also in a Max Con V. Most of the time, I am also carrying a Glock 17 (currently out of the rotation, since it is getting a Brommeland holster made to accommodate the Leupold Delta Point and high profile BUIS) or a Kimber Ultra Carry II, also in Max-Con V holsters. Belts are a Brommeland custom leather when formally or casually dressed, and a Wilderness Instructor the rest of the time.

#10 ·
depending on the season and where I/we are intending to go primary will be the 239/40 with a j-frame in my left coat or vest pocket.
or the j and a p32 in my right front pants pocket. i recently saw in a banner ad here a 'holdster' type holster for the K-T.
sometimes its just the K-T for a jaunt to a local store or to walk the dog.

2 things-- i say 'intend to go' cause one must take into account that plans often change after you leave the house. be it a road detour or a change of mind.
and I've never felt undergunnned even with just the 32. i weigh the chance that i will actually need to fire the gun against what may happen.

I've yet to have a situation unfold that i was not able to have end happily for me ( i really don't care that they were less pleased)

#11 ·
I have 3 guns that see most of the carry time.

#1- Kahr CW45, carried when I'm at work, small and light weight.
#2- CW Classic Commander Bobtail, normally carried on weekends.
#3- CZ75 P-01, 9mm, carried if I want a higher magazine capacity.

#13 ·
100% of the time SA XD40 SC, and about %25 of that the S&W 2" to boot.

#16 ·
My "most of the time" guns are compacts. The Glock 23 and Sig P228 leading the way. Both are 13+1 of .40 or 9 mm. More than enough to get the job done. I carry a spare mag most of the time,

In other situations it is my M&P 340 J Frame or my wifes Glock 26 when need be.

#17 ·
I make my decision on my ability to hit with it at distance rather than comfort. That pretty much leaves out " toy" guns. Right now I have a Gov model Colt in an IWB, and have been carrying it around all day with no problem. As an alternative, I will carry a 4 inch revolver, or in the summer months I may scale down to a G19,but, the G26 is as small as I go.
My personal critera is being able to hit a paper plate at 50 yards, if i can't do that with it, it's just a paper weight.
Comfort is not a priority for me, having a tool on hand that gives me an advantage regardless of circumstances is. Since I can't choose the circumstances, I make up for it by choosing something that gives me confidence over a wide variety of scenarios.

Reactions: wmhawth
#20 ·
My personal critera is being able to hit a paper plate at 50 yards, if i can't do that with it, it's just a paper weight.
Maybe things are different in kY, but if you shot someone that's not a zombie at 50 yards in VA, you'd have some serious 'splainin' to do.

#21 ·
I've been carrying a full-size Beretta 92FS. It has a lot of advantages for me - accuracy, easy to draw, very little recoil. I wear an Alessi holster and Perry's Suspenders, both take sense of weight off - and the gun though 34 oz does not feel heavy - can't figure why but it doesn't. I also CCW one of 2 Colt snubs - depending on weather, dress and where I'm going.

Good Question.

#22 ·
Either a Glock-36 or a Ruger SP101...both are easy to conceal!:hand9:

With a good belt, quality holster, and a effective cover garment, one can conceal carry almost anything.OMO

#25 ·
Various combinations of the following:

Glock Compact G19 or G23

Glock Sub-compact G26

H&K P7

S&W 442

Sometimes there will be a Kel-tec P3AT somwhere on my person but never by itself and sometimes it's a third gun.

Jim

#26 ·
I carry a full size revolver. It's big, it's accurate, and it can't be seen with a simple choice of wardrobe.

I am considering a mid-size revolver to add to my options. Maybe a K-frame S&W, Ruger GP100 or the new SP101 with a 4" barrel. It would be nice to have an easily accessible weapon in a crossdraw position.

#27 · (Edited)
I carry the following, but not all at once.

G21 - .45 ACP - full sized
SA Loaded Combat 1911 - .45ACP - full sized
G30 - .45 ACP - compact
Taurus PT145 Pro - .45 ACP - compact
G22 either - .40 cal or .9mm with conversion barrel - service sized
S&W 640 - .357 mag - snubby
S&W 642 - .38 special - snubby
S&W M&P - .38 special - service size - only occassionally carry due to collector value.
LCP - .380 ACP - sub compact (generally as a bug, but can also be a deep concealment weapon)

Of these the G30, PT 145 pro and LCP get the call more often than the others. The 1911 is not far behind. The others are occasional carry weapons.

The snubbies used to see a lot of belt time, but as we have discussed elsewhere, with the advent of flash mobs and multi-perp home invasions, I have opted for more rounds on hand.

I never did really warm up to the G22. It does not fit my hand as well as the G21 and G30 and the .40 cal is not my favorite round.

The G21 sees most of its time as a night stand weapon.

#29 ·
My 3 carry guns are all Glock 9mms. The majority of time I have a Glock 19 on me. However I carry my Glock 26 if I need something smaller. And I'd carry my Glock more if I could but at times it is just a little to big. This is why I am usually found with my Glock 19.

Though I have been wanting a nice 1911 lately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.