URGENT HELP NEEDED!! On right to have gun in car--- Please help

This is a discussion on URGENT HELP NEEDED!! On right to have gun in car--- Please help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Gunnies, I have royally messed up and feel stupid, foolish ..... You name it and I feel that way. Maybe part of being older ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT HELP NEEDED!! On right to have gun in car--- Please help

URGENT HELP NEEDED!! On right to have gun in car--- Please help

Hello Gunnies,

I have royally messed up and feel stupid, foolish ..... You name it and I feel that way. Maybe part of being older than dirt. Anyway we are traveling from Colorado to Florida by car. We will be passing thru NM, TX, LA, MS, AL and GA. We are leaving in the morning (Sunday).

I have (had ) a Colorado residents permit which I mistakenly let expire. My calenders all say to renew in June 2012... but in fact it expired in June 2011.... My bad.

I have a non resident Utah permit which is good thru 2014. As I understand it this permit is accepted in TX, LA, MS, AL, and GA. The Utah non-resident is NOT accepted in NM, CO, and FL. I know I can carry a gun in the car as well as open carry in CO and NM. I'm not sure about having a gun in the car in FL without a permit.

I'm looking everywhere I can think of on the 'net including UShandgunlaws. I messed up. Can you give me any advice on guns in cars....... Thanks

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

What are you looking for exactly??

handgunlaw.us is a good place to start...followed by the Attorney Generals/State Police websites with the relevant laws and reciprocity agreements posted (save and print).

Otherwise, lock the gun up in the back, separate from the ammo (IAW Federal Law for interstate transport)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thanks ........ I'm still searching........ Guess the most imporatant thing for me to know is can I have a loaded gun in the car in the state of Florida

BTW..... for what it's worth my wife has a CO ccw which is still good........ thanks again

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Then let your Wife have the carry piece. Easy??.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Thanks ........ I'm still searching........ Guess the most imporatant thing for me to know is can I have a loaded gun in the car in the state of Florida

BTW..... for what it's worth my wife has a CO ccw which is still good........ thanks again
    Keyword being "loaded". Many states require it to be unloaded in a car while OC'd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    Then let your Wife have the carry piece. Easy??.
    I'd go with this.

She will definitely have the handgun in Florida as long as she is in the car with me...... but we are there for 3-4 weeks and what I'm trying to determine is can I legally have a loaded gun in the car in Florida? (she wont be in the car all the times)

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Senior Moderator
    Having the gun in the car is fine in most circumstances in Florida.

The firearm must be "securely encased", which can include in the glove box, center console (with the lid closed), in a snapped holster under the seat, etc.

Without a permit,you cannot have the gun in your person in the car.

Be aware that Federal land is a different story altogether.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Look here: NRA-ILA :: and here: NRA-ILA ::

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Having the gun in the car is fine in most circumstances in Florida.

The firearm must be "securely encased", which can include in the glove box, center console (with the lid closed), in a snapped holster under the seat, etc.

Without a permit,you cannot have the gun in your person in the car.

Be aware that Federal land is a different story altogether.

^^That^^
    Anyone who is not prohibited otherwise (felony convictions, etc.) and 18 or over can conceal a firearm inside a "private conveyance" in FL. It must be "securely encased," defined as a closed container (Glovebox, console, cardboard box--anything that is closed but not necessarily locked). A "snapped" holster also meets the statutes definitions as well as zippered cases. It must be "concealed," as open carry in FL is very restricted. Do not conceal it on your person without a recognized permit.

Be aware that some LEOs do not understand that a snapped holster under the seat is legal (asked several that I work with--none knew it was legal until shown the statute) and there is always the chance to get a free--if unwarranted-- ride to the local retention center.

Florida statute 790.25:
    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

790.01:
    (17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Enjoy your trip!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Oh my lowered - never shall I travel to New Jersey!

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post

How exactly, is that relevant to the OP's question?

Non-resident permits are not accepted in Alabama from any state. And in Alabama you MUST have a permit to carry in a vehicle, it IS considered concealed.

* correction, Alabama's reciprocity statute does not specify if nonresident permits are acceptable, nor is therethe an AG opinion on the subject. Soooo.. maybe yes maybe no.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post

What does this mean?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

^^^^Okay, New Jersey.....traveling to Florida.....New Jersey..... I don't get it either
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Was just reacting to one of Rock & Glock's links to gun laws in other states and how awkward it would be to travel & carry through the one I mentioned.

In other words, just echoing the OP's concern about learning the rules traveling & carrying across the country.

Sorry if I offended y'all by deviating from his exact route.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links