How Much Money to You Spend on Hanguns and Related Items Yearly?

This is a discussion on How Much Money to You Spend on Hanguns and Related Items Yearly? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize this is a personal question to some so if you want just vote without comment if concerned about anonymity - or, of course, ...

View Poll Results: How Much Do you Spend on Handguns and Realated Items Yearly?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under $1000 Yearly

40 32.00%
  • Between $1000 and $2000 Yearly

46 36.80%
  • Between $2000 and $3000 Yearly

24 19.20%
  • Over $3000

15 12.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How Much Money to You Spend on Hanguns and Related Items Yearly?

I realize this is a personal question to some so if you want just vote without comment if concerned about anonymity - or, of course, don't participate.

So, I worry sometimes that I just grab some money and go to the range without keeping track. Weirdly, I never shot but 10 rounds in total from any handgun or rifle until 59 yr old. At 64 you gotta bar the range-door. Least, I've learned a lot and am a good and safe shooter now.

But I figure $2000 a year roughly. When I compare it to other "hobbies" or sports activities - nearest similar thing I can think of for range (excepting CCW of course - not a sport): I guess that's not bad. Could have a sail boat, golf can be a ton, collecting anything like coins, etc.

Anyway, I really enjoy it, it takes away stress of the day at work - and keeps me in good shape for Carrying so............

Just wondered how I compare.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 11th, 2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: removed bolding of entire post- thats just annoying

VIP Member
    I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me as Mrs. GB is also a member of this forum and may see my answer.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Too much.

yet

not enough
    RMS and gunguy82 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Spending, Spending you say!!
    I'm not spending, I'm investing. In our economy, our safety, our future. It is our duty as "Patriotic Americans to invest!!!!
    My wife didn't buy it either.
    The last couple of years I've been on the high end of the scale. At least at the end of the year I have something to show for it!
    gunguy82 likes this.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me as Mrs. GB is also a member of this forum and may see my answer.
    Say NOTHING! Get the best Lawyer in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    Spending, Spending you say!!
    I'm not spending, I'm investing. In our economy, our safety, our future. It is our duty as "Patriotic Americans to invest!!!!
    My wife didn't buy it either.
    The last couple of years I've been on the high end of the scale. At least at the end of the year I have something to show for it!
    That's it!

"Are you going to the range AGAIN?"

"Range? What range? I'm hiring American workers, be back about 9:30."

Posts #2 and #3 summarize my answer.

However, without putting a hard number on it, I'd say I spend about 3% of my take-home pay to support my shooting "hobby." Far less than my friends who are avid golfers or boaters.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Not near as much as I'd like to!

Actually it adds up pretty quick. Say you buy 2 handguns, a holster for each and ammo for 1 range trip a month, you can easily hit $2000.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well.. I don't keep track of it, but I voted $1,000 to $2,000 because that is my best guess. I usually spend about $40 when I go to the range, divided between ammo and range fees. Since I go about once or twice a month, that works out to $720 per year. However, I must account for required CHL fees and such which come up every few years. But also I do tend to buy at least one or more guns per year. In fact, I think I had a record this last year. Between my wife and I, I think we bought 5 new guns this year, 8 if you include BB and airsoft guns. My goal is to continue to buy more guns each year as an investment. I'm trying to buy older guns that have collectible value. So in 30 years when I'm ready to retire I should have a nice collection saved up that will have appreciated. Unless the government ends up banning sales of all guns, I suspect it may be a safer investment than my 401K which has seen significant losses lately.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

For the first time in forever, I didn't buy any guns this year. But I bought a bunch of ammo and another safe.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not near as much as I'd like to!

Actually it adds up pretty quick. Say you buy 2 handguns, a holster for each and ammo for 1 range trip a month, you can easily hit $2000.
    Yes, it's amazing. On the other hand if you Carry you need good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well.. I don't keep track of it, but I voted $1,000 to $2,000 because that is my best guess. I usually spend about $40 when I go to the range, divided between ammo and range fees. Since I go about once or twice a month, that works out to $720 per year. However, I must account for required CHL fees and such which come up every few years. But also I do tend to buy at least one or more guns per year. In fact, I think I had a record this last year. Between my wife and I, I think we bought 5 new guns this year, 8 if you include BB and airsoft guns. My goal is to continue to buy more guns each year as an investment. I'm trying to buy older guns that have collectible value. So in 30 years when I'm ready to retire I should have a nice collection saved up that will have appreciated. Unless the government ends up banning sales of all guns, I suspect it may be a safer investment than my 401K which has seen significant losses lately.

You're right. My little collection has gone up way past any 401K has in recent years. I stumbled on to Colts when I first bought a gun (a Python). They are golden in terms of apprecuation.

I just added it up and
    $2650. for ammo
    $1900. for 4 pistols
    The year isn't over yet though.I think Santa's bringing a Glock Gen 4 G19.

I track it in Quicken. It is admittedly a fair piece of change but it's a hobby, and as such probably not more costly than many other hobbies I could have chosen.

More than I like to and less than I should.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links