BUG confiscation

This is a discussion on BUG confiscation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If a person who carries a BUG gets into a defensive shooting situation, and only their primary firearm is employed, would LEO confiscate only the ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By jack76590
  • 4 Post By Secret Spuk
  • 2 Post By Tally XD

Thread: BUG confiscation

BUG confiscation

If a person who carries a BUG gets into a defensive shooting situation, and only their primary firearm is employed, would LEO confiscate only the gun that was used or would they confiscate both for evidence?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

I suspect the police would take all WEAPONS present. Never know what might be found later - like extra bullet hole or stab wound. I would let police know of other weapons on your person. You don't want police to discover them and yell "GUN" and start shooting. This is worst case, but other thing is fact you carry a BUG may come out later or they may even discover another wound on bad guy, so best to be upfront. In fact REQUEST they take your BUG and if other wound discovered can then eliminate your gun as one firing bullet.
    Eaglebeak likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Jack is right. I'm pretty much 100% sure that the cops would take all weapons in the area to ensure officer and public safety. Not to mention that you are probably going to be answers a whole lot of questions in a PD where you can't have a weapon anyway. Just be up front about any additional weapons you might have before they find them during a search.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Consider any gun you have on your person as history, until you are cleared, in a shooting situation. Also depending on your state you may have your permit pulled until cleared. Myself, I have several other guns to fall back on, and even if my permit is taken, OC is legal in VA, so that option is still available.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Consider any gun you have on your person as history, until you pay your lawyer to fetch it back.
    There, fixed it. Don't shoot someone with any piece you really love.

In my experience. It'd probably depend on the individual situation. I'm sure it would be removed from your person... but probably not confiscated unless it played an evidentury part in the investigation. Or if you were being taken into custody, or suspect of some wrong doing.
    Hopyard, Tally XD, Bark'n and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    There, fixed it. Don't shoot someone with any piece you really love.
    My carry gun IS the weapon I love because I can rely on it. I don't carry a piece of junk that I DON'T love that might fail me when I really needed it. What gun I use is secondary to my living through the event.

If you live in a state that will automatically confiscate your weapon, pull your license and possibly immediately arrest you for protecting your life then you live in the wrong state.

Police don't always take anything from you if they can clearly see you were defending your life, at least, that is how it is where I live.
    Bark'n and GreyGhost like this.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    In my experience. It'd probably depend on the individual situation. I'm sure it would be removed from your person... but probably not confiscated unless it played an evidentury part in the investigation. Or if you were being taken into custody, or suspect of some wrong doing.
    What Spuk said.

For sure whatever weapon was actually used in the shooting will be taken as evidence.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am an LEO, and I can expect to have all of my firearms that were present at the time of the shooting to be taken to the firearms lab as evidence. This is written in the policy. I cannot see my PD treating a private citizen any differently.

When I was in a shooting incident in 1993, every officer present had to show his firearms to the firearms examiner at the scene. All of the other firearms, other than my GP100, showed no sign of having just been fired, so only my GP100 was of interest. I had used my duty revolver, and reholstered, so I was instructed to leave it holstered until we got back to the station. (A private citizen can expect to be disarmed at the scene, of course.) In the Homicide Division office, my GP100 was
    collected by the Firearms Examiner, for ballistic testing.

I got it back three weeks later. I had a Colt Python that fit the same holster, so I went to work in style for three weeks. ( At my PD, we buy our own firearms, except for beanbag shotguns, NFA weapons, and some specialized firearms used by SWAT and other specialized divisions.) A private citizen would probably have to wait until the criminal investigation was complete, and a grand jury had returned a no-bill.

Unless a shooting happened inside the home, causing the whole home to be a crime scene, I don't think my PD would take all firearms into evidence. A warrant would be needed to search for them over the objection of the homeowner, and I doubt a local judge would sign a search warrant unless a really good reason existed, to search for a particular weapon. (This IS
    Harris County, Texas.)

I can understand why all firearms present at a scene would be collected for examination and ballistic testing. Those who fire in defense of self or others may not recall their own shots. Moreover, arriving officers often do not know who is the defender and who is the assailant, at a complex scene. Then person who claims to have defended himself may not be telling the truth. This only scratches the surface.

This does NOT mean I like the idea of MY weapons being taken as evidence, especially if it can be seen they were unfired.

I WANT the police to take all the weapons on my person. If they take it then no question which weapon I had at the scene. If something strange shows up later I do not want there to be a question of maybe I had the gun that matches a bullet just discovered at the scene, that does not match the other bullets.

And I do not want to provide a reason for the issuing of a warrant to search my house for a gun I may have had at the scene. But I really don't think I need to be concerned, as all guns on my person will be taken into evidence.

Awesome thread and information.. Thanks guys.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Not only do we take your weapons, we take the clothes that you are wearing during the shooting right off of your back.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Not only do we take your weapons, we take the clothes that you are wearing during the shooting right off of your back.
    I've always said, "If I'm wearing pants, I'm armed."
    I guess if they take my pants, I won't be armed.

I would hate to lose my Glock-36 for a while, but I do have other Glocks in the safe...which I sure will be the least of my concerns.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think the confiscation of my weapon after a shooting or action of some sort would be expected, although I would expect it to be returned in due time. I am not going to let that influence what I carry in any way. If i lose a 500 dollar gun, and it saved my life, it did its job, if I get it back, it is a bonus. But can see no reason for not getting it back as long as everything was justified and you are in the right. I am not going to answer a lot of questions if an incident ever occurs where I have to use my gun, because if I ever have to fire my gun, the out come is going to be bad for someone for sure. The time frame immediatly following something like that may be a little cloudy as if it all happened so fast, and I am sure it would be disturbing to some extent. I dont know, never been there n hope i never have to go there. But I think I would want to speak to an attorney before i spoke much more than my name to the police.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    In my dads shooting in Florida, true he was a Leo, but before leos could carry off duty. He had his pistol taken into evidence. So honestly I would expect all firearms to be taken into evidence. Thankfully he had his carry permit, so he was legal to carry.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Links