Any carrying moms?

Any carrying moms?

This is a discussion on Any carrying moms? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to preface this with I have not taken any carrying classes, nor have my CHL permit yet. But, I'm curious as a mother ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Any carrying moms?

Any carrying moms?

I want to preface this with I have not taken any carrying classes, nor have my CHL permit yet. But, I'm curious as a mother of a one year old, are there any etiquette rules I should be aware of when carrying in the presence of children? I'm mostly
    thinking of play date settings, birthday parties, casual meetings or possibly at friend or casual acquaintances homes where children will be present as my daughter is not school age. I'm aware I can't carry on school property.

Once I have a permit to carry, should I inform other moms that I have a concealed weapon or keep my mouth shut? Do they have the right to know? Should I ask at my carry class when I apply for my CHL?

Hope that doesn't sound dumb and thanks for any advice you can give!

Personally I'd just keep it to myself. What they don't know won't hurt 'em.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

I also agree. As long as the gun is secure on your person it is NOT a threat or a concern to anyone else. There is no reason for them to know.

You're going to get a lot of advice...in my opinion, the person with the most first hand knowledge is Limatunes....I'd send her a private message, but she's probably a bit busy now.

Bottom line up front...get training, get a gun YOU are comfortable with, use a holster that is made specifically for your make/model of firearm, use a good belt (I'd do a search in this forum on these topics), wear clothes that conceal the gun, but provide you access to if need be.

In terms of etiquette, if the gun is concealed...it is NO ONE'S business if you are carrying. Research the laws of your state, but generally, you do not have a duty to inform anyone that you are carrying (check local/state laws on notifying law enforcement). I'm not a mom--I am a dad, and have been carrying for 18 years...my boys are 15 and 9. As long as the gun is in the holster, and the holster covers the trigger, the firearm is in your control, and therefore safe. Yes, I did rough house with my boys...and never did the gun come out or fall out, because I had a quality holster and belt.

Your challenge is finding the right carry combination for you.

ETA: just because there are children present doesn't change the way you act; it may affect the way you carry. Generally, carrying "off-body" is a bad idea, as it separates you from your gun. With children around, there is no better place than on your hip. Do not carry in a purse or other bag where it can be separated from you or little fingers and hands can get into it (like where food or treats are kept)

And yes, I carry my gun loaded...

Checkout these threads for starters:
    Young mom = concealed carry!
    Women's Carry Methods
    Ladies of DC carry methods
    Carrying Concealed and Remaining Feminine
    Should a Mother Carry a Gun?
    Carrying a Gun and a Baby
    Girls' Night Out: Shoes, Knives, Shirts and Guns
    Sometimes the Learning Process is a Slow, Dangerous One
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I would keep my mouth shut. The best resource on this board for this question is Limatunes. She will be back on-line soon I assume. She just had kid #2 last week. Not sure if she has been on since the birth, but she is a great resource on this. Do a search on her posts as there was a similar question asked and she replied.

I don't think Oregon's laws require that you notify the homeowner that you are carrying, but check to be sure. There are a few states with this requirement, but I don't think OR is one.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

All moms carried at one time.
    RMS likes this.

I have no problem carrying weapons, but I draw the line at carrying moms as well.

Just joking. FWIW, when you get your license, you'll find (like many) that you will discover the incredible responsibility that comes with carry as well as the valid reasons in the use of lethal force. No reason for anyone else to know. You also feel empowered and tend to want to share your new found "abilities/power/whatever-you-want-to-call-it" with others. The best course of action is: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. No reason for anyone else to know. You would never want to disrupt the peaceful bliss of the ignorant flock, who might begin bleating and stampeding willy-nilly if they knew you were actually a sheep dog. You will train and practice with your weapon, and you will be entirely safe with carrying a weapon gassed up and ready to run. No reason for anyone else to know. You will also discover like minded individuals as you progress, and I have entire conversations with like-minded individuals without ever saying anything a sheep might overhear and begin fretting. If you openly discuss it there's going to be some anti-gun nutwad that decides you are not worthy. However, you've already made the decision that you are worthy of the ability to defend yourself. You have nothing to share with anyone, and nothing to gain if you reveal or discuss it. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

VIP Member
    I agree with SIGguy229. Talk with Limatune about it. She's a mother of 2, a newborn and a toddler.

As far as saying anything to the other mothers, I wouldn't. There are some things they don't need to know, and that is one of them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hi, I agree with all above. I am a single mother myself that carries all the time. Most of my friends and other mom's are completely clueless to this fact. I treat the subject as very personal.

I come to this forum if I feel the need to talk about guns or have a question.

Welcome from Tampa!

Welcome. I agree with all the others here as well. If your looking for high quality info you came to the right forum. This is the best around IMHO. I would suggest you give the supertuck deluxe a try as it is very comfortable to most and you can try it for two weeks risk free. Don't know many other companies that do this. I as well, am not a mother but a father of a 20 month old and it has been an adventure. Keep it on you and close and stay aware of your surroundings. Stay safe.

PS.
    Limatunes is awesome. She gave me great advice and until I saw her YouTube vids I didn't know she was a .......she. lol

This is a site that will answer a lot of you questions. Cornered Cat
    She is a wellknown writer on women and guns

I'm not a mom so I don't know the rules for that. But, I personally have a rule of not carrying in someone's home if they don't want guns in their house.

I don't like it when someone does something in my house that I don't allow, so I try not to be a hypocrite. If I'm carrying and asked to come over, I simply decline the offer, or suggest a mutual site
    MadMac likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'm not a mom so I don't know the rules for that. But, I personally have a rule of not carrying in someone's home if they don't want guns in their house.

I don't like it when someone does something in my house that I don't allow, so I try not to be a hypocrite. If I'm carrying and asked to come over, I simply decline the offer, or suggest a mutual site
    If you never discuss your practices, you'll never be asked not to carry a gun.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

^^^^ditto^^^^ If you dont advertise, there will be no problem.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

You guys have me all wrong. In fact, very few people know I even own guns, and I never advertise. I just try to be respectful of others wises in their own home.
    MadMac likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links