Bill would ban guns from Wisconsin gas stations

This is a discussion on Bill would ban guns from Wisconsin gas stations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a FYI. If anyone has more info they can add it here. I found this on my local paper's website: Bill would ban guns ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Bill would ban guns from Wisconsin gas stations

Just a FYI. If anyone has more info they can add it here. I found this on my local paper's website:

Bill would ban guns from Wisconsin gas stations | Sheboygan Press | sheboyganpress.com

I think this is complete BS that they would even consider it!
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

"The bill's sponsor, Rep. Josh Zepnick, tells the Journal Sentinel that many station owners, employees and customers are among his constituents and have been victims of violent crime."

Maybe I am extremely dense, but presuming the above statement is true, it seems to me that this is the very reason that one should be able to carry in these places.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

MILWAUKEE (AP) A Milwaukee lawmaker is proposing to make gas stations off limits to Wisconsin residents carrying concealed weapons, even if they have a permit.

The bill's sponsor, Rep. Josh Zepnick, tells the Journal Sentinel that many station owners, employees and customers are among his constituents and have been victims of violent crime.
    This kind of logic boggles the mind.
    9MMare likes this.

Exactly. These crimes have been going on way before it was legal to carry concealed. So to limit those people to legally carry and protect themselves in a place that has history of crime from those who...... don't follow the law. News flash it won't limit those who commit crimes in gas stations or even banks for that matter.

Wisconsonites, please contact Rep. Zepnick and educate him! You don't need a legislator with that kind of inverted logic in your state government. He'd probably outlaw forks to cure obseity.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    What my email to him said:

"Mr. Josh Zepnick,

It has come to my attention that you are trying to pass a bill that would make all gas stations in Wisconsin a no go zone for firearms; even to those that have the proper license/permit to concealed carry. I am not a resident of Wisconsin, nor have I ever even been to Wisconsin, but I feel the need to state my confusion the the logic of what you are striving for. Making all gas stations a gun free zone only stops the law abiding citizens that actually care about laws in the first place from carrying firearms onto these properties. These are the people you will be hurting. People who carry a firearm for malicious intent are not going to think twice about disobeying and carrying a gun into a gun free zone. So if these places are made into gun free zones, do not think for one minute that they will indeed actually be gun free. Someone who is going to rob a gas station at gun point is not going to not use a gun because you told him he can't. But what about the law abiding citizens that make up the employees and customers? They will be left defenseless.

If this were to pass then I would be hard pressed to ever see a need or want to even visit your state, and there are many that share my sentiment sir. I love this country that I was born in and I love the freedoms that come with my citizenship here, and cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take them away.

I sincerely hope that you can take the time to respond to me and share with me the reasoning. I have written to people in positions such as yours before but have never gotten a response, so maybe this time that will be different.

J *********
    Law abiding college student in Ohio and proud owner of an Ohio Concealed Handgun License"
    ccman and WD54241 like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I think he snuck in from Illinois!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Also, his contact info:

State Capitol Office:
    Room 7 North
    P.O. Box 8953
    Madison, WI 53708

E-mail: Rep.Zepnick@legis.wisconsin.gov

Telephone:
    (608) 266-1707
    (888) 534-0009 -- toll free

Fax:
    (608) 282-3609
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I just emailed him.

To those of you who have not emailed him (from our state or not from our state)... Please do. Keep in mind you may want to travel to our state one day.

jeez, so because of gun crime (and people not legally carrying in the first place I E criminals who intend to hurt rob or kill) he wants to make it so the people who are able legally cary and protect ourselves or the gas station attendants should not be allowed to do so thus just letting more shootings happen? certainly correct me if I am wrong but this is basically what I gout out of the article.

This is my email to him:

(By the way DontTreadOnI) I used part of your first sentence...thought it was very good)

Dear Josh Zepnick;

It has come to my attention that you are trying to pass a bill that would make all gas stations in Wisconsin a gun free zone for firearms; even to those that have the proper license/permit to concealed carry.

If you pass this bill that would put the law abiding citizens in danger of injury or death.

The criminal with bad intentions of armed robbery or worse at gas stations/convenience stores would know he would not have to worry about being confronted with someone LEGALLY carrying a concealed weapon and therefore would have free range at committing his criminal act.

What you are doing sir is encouraging criminals to rob these establishments! Where did you come up with such an unintelligent thought?

The Journal Sentinal states: "The bill's sponsor, Rep. Josh Zepnick, tells the Journal Sentinel that many station owners, employees and customers are among his constituents and have been victims of violent crime."

What kind of message would you be sending to the criminals? THINK ABOUT IT.

Please reconsider your bill.

A Wisconsin voter

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Wisconsonites, please contact Rep. Zepnick and educate him! You don't need a legislator with that kind of inverted logic in your state government. He'd probably outlaw forks to cure obseity.
    Please send him to NYC one more moron politician and maybe i can talk my wife into moving.

Sounds pretty stupid coming from a relatively smart guy. How is it one gets elected to office, and turns into a blathering idiot when it comes to bills?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Wow what these people come up with is something else. In short he's saying that since others have lost their lives in these places, he wants to take away your right to carry there and put your life in jepordy as well. This is not the kind of people we need in office.

My letter to the rep from Wisconsin

This is the letter I just sent him.

Dear Representative,

I understand you have proposed legislation that would ban lawful concealed carry in gas stations.

Although you're intentions may be good you're logic is flawed. Criminals do not follow laws and a sign or you're proposed legislation will only provide for a safe haven for criminals intent on doing harm. They know that if this bill is passed that law abiding citizens will abide by that law. However, under today's law they have no idea and therefore will be less likely to feel that they could victimize the workers or patrons.*

It is simple as this; you do not get in your car and put on the seat belt with the intention of getting into an accident. However if you unfortunate enough to be involved the idea of having that seatbelt to save your life or minimize harm is a comfort and the real reason you wear it. That principle is the same for law abiding citizens that carry concealed weapons no law abiding citizen puts on a weapon with intent of looking for an opportunity in using that weapon, but if needed to save their or a family members life it is there.*

This law you are proposing is not really common sense and in fact will potentially send a message to bad guys that they can, without recourse, victimize gas station customers and workers without any fear. Those who use those facilities under you're law will not have the opportunity to protect themselves or family members from harm or death at the hands of said criminals.

Please use some common sense here and allow you're constituents under the current laws the continued right to protect themselves and their families.

Sent from my iPad

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links