Mind Set

This is a discussion on Mind Set within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where is your mind set when it comes to being in the fight until it is over no matter what. Are you where Officer Stacy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Mind Set

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Mind Set

Where is your mind set when it comes to being in the fight until it is over no matter what. Are you where Officer Stacy Lim's was? Amazing story! Never give up (finish it)

Sheepdog Tip of the Day
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

2. Remove Ads

Stacy Lim's story is one of my favorites to bring up when people start to debate minor details about ammunition and argue about "stopping power" and "one shot stops".
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I was taught that if I have to be in a fight, fight to win. If I have to be in a fight with more than one, make sure to take out as many as possible in a manner that they do not get up to reenter the fight, ever.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Once committed, you cannot stop. And you must be proactive, not reactive. You must become the aggressor.

Sounds simple, but having been in such situations (not with guns), you have to fight thru alot of 'civilized' imprinting (& fear) to do it.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

It's totally impossible to explain the "mind set" officer Lim experienced to anyone who's never stopped a potentially fatal bullet themselves because it's absolutely nothing like you would ever imagine until it actually happens - regardless of your personal philosophy, scenario game plan, or level of training and experience. Even though I've been lucky enough to survive two such instances, I still can't explain the mentality or "mind set" because all I can remember is a primordial blur where all thoughts of self, pain, family, location, events, future and everything else was instantly replaced by an overpowering, totally fearless, tunnel-visioned death rage to seek vengance against the person or persons who've just killed me during my final moments of conscious existence.

I can't speak for officer Lim, but waking up after my last thoughts of dying was a mental shock that I can't explain either; and since those final moments of consciousness were a surreal blur of fearless rage, memory of actual events is either fragmented or completely non-existent. There is one thing I can guarantee that officer Lim will do differently if such a scenario should arise again; if there is a "next time" she will immediately move off the X, take up a defensive position behind her vehicle (or anything else), and draw her weapon before saying a single word to any potential attacker(s) while they're still at a considerable distance.

Trust me, heroic actions of standing your ground and fighting to the finish are only worth a damn when you're dying or know you're going to be killed no matter what. Otherwise, remember the guerrilla-fighter's wisdom of the ages - "he who fights and runs away will live to fight another day".
    Bark'n and WHEC724 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My firearm is for defense, to get me out of trouble, not to overwhelm and conquer. If that means going until the last shot is fired, so be it. If that means shoot and scoot (by either party), that's another perfectly acceptable option.
    MadMac and TN_Mike like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No mindset. In a draw-and-fire shooting situation, your brain shuts down under a paralyzing stress level, and your actions are controlled primarily by pure reflexes, depending on the kind and amount of training and practice.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    pure reflexes ( trained reflexes) allow the mind to open completely and absorb the totality of events occurring and, again-its the training--that has you to act.

there is luck, there is dumb luck and there is skill instilled from training
    I'll take all 3
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    pure reflexes ( trained reflexes) allow the mind to open completely and absorb the totality of events occurring and, again-its the training--that has you to act.

there is luck, there is dumb luck and there is skill instilled from training
    I'll take all 3
    She did, too!
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I give her the heart of a lion, very courageous!
    I have been in firefights that lasted over 20 minutes in Iraq and Somlia so i think thats different.

was it only one perp that was armed?. but still very honrable.

The only problem i have is now that i am a civillian, and not police like her, what if this happened to us as civillians?

What if we took the fight to them and actually killed the rest who were unarmed? would the police chief call us combat mindset or killers?
    Last edited by gunther71; December 14th, 2011 at 03:06 PM.

It's not just reflexes. In training your body to perform certain actions, you are also training your mind. Of course, in a life or death situation you don't consciously think about your actions. Never the less, your actions are still controlled by your mind.

There is also the inexplicable will to live. Not every human being possesses it. Some people stay in a fight till the very end, even till death. Those who don't have that will to live will at some point be telling themselves that it's a lost cause. Once the mind believes all is lost, then the body will act accordingly, and all will indeed be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Stacy Lim's story is one of my favorites to bring up when people start to debate minor details about ammunition and argue about "stopping power" and "one shot stops".
    Me too. There is no magic bullet that will stop a fight in one shot every time regardless of caliber or the gun it comes out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    No mindset. In a draw-and-fire shooting situation, your brain shuts down under a paralyzing stress level, and your actions are controlled primarily by pure reflexes, depending on the kind and amount of training and practice.
    I disagree. I have had the chance to talk with several people who have been in real world gun fights (including Jim Crillo) and I was in combat in 1991 in Desert Storm. No one I talked to nor did my brain "shut down". On the contrary, in my case, I became what I would call hyper aware of details. Other I have talked to say they experienced something similar. I think your brain kicks into over drive and shuts out info you do not need to process and processes the info that you do need much faster than real time.
    Eaglebeak and 9MMare like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Me too. There is no magic bullet that will stop a fight in one shot every time regardless of caliber or the gun it comes out of.

I disagree. I have had the chance to talk with several people who have been in real world gun fights (including Jim Crillo) and I was in combat in 1991 in Desert Storm. No one I talked to nor did my brain "shut down". On the contrary, in my case, I became what I would call hyper aware of details. Other I have talked to say they experienced something similar. I think your brain kicks into over drive and shuts out info you do not need to process and processes the info that you do need much faster than real time.
    I agree with you big time, I love it when i hear the training kicks in talk! Its 80% luck in actual combat

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    I agree with you big time, I love it when i hear the training kicks in talk! Its 80% luck in actual combat
    You can go with pure luck I'll take all the training I can get along with what luck I can get. (but I see luck being protection from God) Training of the mind is just as important as the training skills of gun. And when the SHTF you never have enough.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links