What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Obey and know the laws 2. Equipment check(brandising, printing, holster, clean gun) 3. Personal awareness(sa, know what you can do and what you cant) ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry?

1. Obey and know the laws

2. Equipment check(brandising, printing, holster, clean gun)

3. Personal awareness(sa, know what you can do and what you cant)

4. This thing only comes out to save lives, period.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

2. Remove Ads

To me the most important thing is the ability to swallow your pride. That nothing someone says about you, your wife, child or mother is worth someone dying over. You must be able to walk away.
    If that makes you look like a coward so be it. If you cannot handle that don't carry.

Michael
    Majorlk, Flasher, Ishmael and 2 others like this.

1. Know the law
    2. Know your weapon
    3. Know yourself
    4. Train,Train,Train
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

concealed carry means carry it concealed
    a loaded gun does not make you judge and jury
    always carry a loaded gun
    leave it in the holster unless you are ready to use it
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    1. Practice situational awareness until it becomes second nature. Be aware at all times of your surroundings, and your options. Know where the exits are.
    2. Carry where ever and when ever it's legal. Never tell.
    3. Never go anyplace you think you will need it.
    4. Practice personal restraint, individual courtesy, and politeness as a general rule. Avoid confrontation, gestures while driving, and don't surrender your judgement to alcohol or drugs.
    5. Practice with all the equipment, holsters, guns, and clothes, until it's second nature to do it right.
    6. Know your limitations. Do mental what-if exercises.

Couldn't get it to less than six.

Fitch
    l1a1 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Seems my list is much different from others.

2) Don't carry if you aren't ready to take a life in self defense or defense of others. A small hesitation could get your weapon taken and turned on you.
    While there is no way to know if this will be true for me until after the fact, this is something that I believe I must consider every time I arm myself. I check out my emotional preparedness. It also reminds me of the responsibility I am about to embrace.

Having a bad day? Perhaps this is the day I stay home rather than wade into the unknown with unresolved baggage. Or choose to not carry if I do. Yup, its my right to carry, but IMO its not my right to place others at risk with my state of mind. Yeah, I know were all wonderful examples of maturity, emotional well-being and character and when I'm having a bad day this is an opportunity for me to prove it.

I struggled with how to say this without coming across as self-righteous or a pompous whatever. Its important for me and thought I would share it.
    Hoganbeg, Flasher and Ishmael like this.

Be always vigilent, no drinking when CC'ing.
    Know your carry weapon, what it will do and won't do.
    Be aware of the criminal/civil consequences for presenting/firing your weapon.
    Run for your life, but don't beg for it.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    When I was teaching my grand nephew the 4 gun safety rules, I added (the first) two of my own, but they do apply to CC as well:

1. Don't be STOOPID!
    2. Don't trust ANYONE
    3. Prevention trumps reaction
    4. If you have to shoot, keep shooting until the threat is stopped
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Accessorize!
    1. Sash
    2. Badge
    3. Lapel pin
    4. Tactical light
    21bubba, thephanatik and l1a1 like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Use your head. This simple phrase that our fathers would tell us during a chewing covers everything. Safety, knowledge, skill, judgement, control, all governed by the mind. It is by far the best weapon in your arsenal. Hone it and use it.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    While there is no way to know if this will be true for me until after the fact, this is something that I believe I must consider every time I arm myself. I check out my emotional preparedness. It also reminds me of the responsibility I am about to embrace.

Having a bad day? Perhaps this is the day I stay home rather than wade into the unknown with unresolved baggage. Or choose to not carry if I do. Yup, its my right to carry, but IMO its not my right to place others at risk with my state of mind. Yeah, I know were all wonderful examples of maturity, emotional well-being and character and when I'm having a bad day this is an opportunity for me to prove it.

I struggled with how to say this without coming across as self-righteous or a pompous whatever. Its important for me and thought I would share it.
    So, if I read this correctly you're saying that you have days when you may place others at risk because of your state of mind? If so you need to question carrying a weapon at all.

This is one of the most disturbing posts I've read on this forum.

1. Know the laws
    2. Know your weapon (practice, practice and more practice)
    3. Know the threat
    4. Know your mindset

JD
    Administrator
    I think I'd skip the four and just go with these:

Ten Commandments of Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So, if I read this correctly you're saying that you have days when you may place others at risk because of your state of mind? If so you need to question carrying a weapon at all.

You are reading it wrong. He's saying he looks at his emotional state and decides whether he needs to stay home or not carry if he does decide to go out.

Personally, I think it a very mature way of looking at one's emotional state.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    You are reading it wrong. He's saying he looks at his emotional state and decides whether he needs to stay home or not carry if he does decide to go out.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Personally, I think it a very mature way of looking at one's emotional state.
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links