What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Majorlk You are reading it wrong. He's saying he looks at his emotional state and decides whether he needs to stay home ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    You are reading it wrong. He's saying he looks at his emotional state and decides whether he needs to stay home or not carry if he does decide to go out.

Personally, I think it a very mature way of looking at one's emotional state.
    Sorry but that's not how it comes across at all. Too emotional to go out? Too emotional to carry? His words not mine. Probably not a good idea to be around him if he's already out and he becomes "emotional".

2. Remove Ads

I read an interesting article that would be good for him. Exclusive Web Extra: Your Personal Safety | American Handgunner
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    I read an interesting article that would be good for him. Exclusive Web Extra: Your Personal Safety | American Handgunner
    Good read

My 4 rules of Concealed Carry.

Carry a loaded sidearm of adequate caliber with premium self defense ammunition, a hot chamber, in a quality holster on a quality belt
    Carry spare ammunition in a quality carrier
    Make use of situational awareness
    Remember "It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it"
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by iidesu View Post
    I don't get it. Would you elaborate on it a little bit?
    Thought it was pretty obvious. Three can keep a secret if two are dead. People by nature can not keep information to themselves, period. Some are good about it, but nobody is infallible. This is the phrase that I tell anyone that comes up to me and says, "You can't tell anyone else, [insert confidential info here]". Ergo, never ever tell anyone anything, that you don't want everyone to eventually know about. Kind of reinforces my #1 rule but is a little broader, as people can put puzzles of info together.

Lots of great replies. Nice to see there is some properly functioning moral compasses left in the world.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

So many ideas presented here.. Some are great and some are even better

I’ve, been carrying sidearm for over 30 years.. Sometimes as LEO, and sometimes as civilian carrying via CCL.

All the great ideas about self awareness, and situation awareness, should be practice regardless armed or unarmed.

And further we should not put ourselves, in areas that are “prone to crime”. Note I put quotation marks around that, cause as best we try, we can find ourselves, in the wrong place at the wrong time, regardless our best intentions.

My four rules:

380 or larger caliber, and for the most part 9mm Glock unless I’m in swim trunks and flip flops

Quality hollow point ammo with a round in the chamber, and quality holster and belt designed for the extra weight

Training and practice.. once or twice a year is not enough. Remember your only half as good as you are on your worst day at the range. Muscle memory, means a person has practice this maneuver 1500 or more times. Reason, even in uniform open carry, I carry my Glock at 4 O’clock. Training, means you have a buddy or instructor at the range with you to critique you.

Concealed is concealed.. Tell no one.. and do not get involved unless it involved you or yours.. This is a great rule, but I’ll have to admit, I’m bad at fallowing the “do not get involved part”.

1. Keep it to your self that you are carrying
    2. Just act normal,
    3. your gun is like a drivers license, don't pull it out unless you need too
    4. keep it to yourself that you are carrying

1. Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.
    2. Always follow the 4 gun safety rules.
    3. Be proficient.
    4. Exercise.

1, 2 and 4 will do more for your life expectancy and quality of life than just about any other rule, and the whole idea behind concealed carry is to prolong your life expectancy, right?
    3 and 4 will help guarantee the outcome in the event you have to use a weapon.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    That's gun safety. Everyone better know that. If not, then they should not be carrying.

I'm going for the Concealed Carrying rules.
    I am aware that it SHOULD be common knowledge, but it is not. Hence why I said it and prefaced it as I did.

Concealed Carry rules:
    1 - Know the laws everywhere you carry and obey them.
    2 - Know your equipment and train as much as possible for what you do not expect to happen.
    3 - Ensure your equipment is always in working order & clean.
    4 - STOP THE THREAT is the active phrase.

The purpose of it being clean in #3 is the potential for someone to perpetrate a shooting, you are nearby and are armed and you get picked up. If your weapon is clean you could not possibly be the shooter.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Sorry but that's not how it comes across at all. Too emotional to go out? Too emotional to carry? His words not mine. Probably not a good idea to be around him if he's already out and he becomes "emotional".
    That's entirely your opinion. I guess you have always been in total control, have never experienced a bad day, a traumatic experience or ever felt "down". Lucky you.

I think I prefer the other gentleman's company; he knows his limitations. Do you know yours?
    Ishmael likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    To me the most important thing is the ability to swallow your pride. That nothing someone says about you, your wife, child or mother is worth someone dying over. You must be able to walk away.
    If that makes you look like a coward so be it. If you cannot handle that don't carry.

Michael
    +1 on this
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So, if I read this correctly you're saying that you have days when you may place others at risk because of your state of mind? If so you need to question carrying a weapon at all.

This is one of the most disturbing posts I've read on this forum.
    Wow! I didn't get that at all...

You are reading it wrong. He's saying he looks at his emotional state and decides whether he needs to stay home or not carry if he does decide to go out.
    That's more like what I got from his post. I agree that it's something that more of us (myself included) should consider doing, rather that just strapping it on regardless of our emotional state.

There isn't a single person on the planet who is not effected by their mood - a bad day at work, a fight with the SO or whatever. What (I think) he is saying is that he takes his emotional state into account when deciding whether or not to carry, or even whether to go out. Kudos!

Personally, I think it a very mature way of looking at one's emotional state.
    Prezactly!
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Don't piss anyone off.
    Don't get pissed off by anyone.
    Don't go to stupid places, with stupid people, or do stupid things.
    Field stripping should be done before skinny dipping.
    Well said and what it comes down to no matter carrying your pistol or just getting through the day.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Accessorize!
    1. Sash
    2. Badge
    3. Lapel pin
    4. Tactical light
    Oh man, you forgot the 100 round drum...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    That's entirely your opinion. I guess you have always been in total control, have never experienced a bad day, a traumatic experience or ever felt "down". Lucky you.

I think I prefer the other gentleman's company; he knows his limitations. Do you know yours?
    It's not my opinion it's his words.
    Never been emotional to the point that I considered myself a danger to other people.
    I'm glad you would prefer the other gentleman's company as the color yellow does not make me feel sad.
    I'm well aware of my limitations and am secure with them. Unlike some...

My 4 rules for carry:

1. Know the laws of your state, or any state you are traveling to regarding carry.

2. Carry everywhere you legally can carry.

3. Carry a quality gun that you know inside and out and that you KNOW to be reliable enough to defend your life or the lives of your family on. Anything less is stupid.

4. Don't go to bars and other places where large groups of stupid people or people doing stupid things gather as you may be swept up in the mass stupidity.

Now, those may be my top 4 but I'm going to add a few more because I personally do not think there are only 4 rules for carrying.

5. Get professional training beyond what may be required to get your carry permit. No matter how good you think you are, you aren't as good as that and even if you are, you can always be better.

6. Don't let anyone make you mad. Walk away from confrontations where ever possible. Trust me, you won't be less of a man for doing it. Taking a life is nothing to be flippant about. Even those who had had to do it to save their own lives struggle with the effects of it, often for the rest of their lives. Don't put yourself or your loved ones through that mental, or legal, anguish if it is at all avoidable.

7. Don't "just blend in". Purposefully make eye contact with people. Bad guys count on people being sheeple. They count on you not being aware of your surroundings and who is in the area. Making eye contact with them lets them know you see them. You know they are there and you are not an easy target.

8. DO NOT DROP INTO CONDITION WHITE! Stay alert at all times. Nothing ever just comes out of nowhere. That is how people who were not paying attention describe things after they wake up on their backs.

9. Do not maintain friendships with idiots who drink too much, do drugs of any kind or are shady in regard to the law. Do not be an associate of someone the police know on a first name basis from repeated run ins with them.

10. Obey all laws. Often over looked, obey all laws, even the speed limit. Any negative interaction with law enforcement will have a negative effect on your life and on your ability to maintain a carry permit.
    Majorlk and MotorCityGun like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links