What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a coworker that told me his wife got him a 9mm pistol for Christmas, but has no idea what make or model (first ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry?

What are the top 4 rules for Concealed Carry?

I have a coworker that told me his wife got him a 9mm pistol for Christmas, but has no idea what make or model (first boo boo). Given the price point, I am guessing something high end or quality.

He also told me that he already has his CC (second boo boo) but has not been carrying for want of something to carry. Followed by "As soon as we get back from layoff, I'm gonna have it with me all the time and screw [the company safety manager], she will never know (third boo boo).

My top 4 rules;
    - Always carry, never tell
    - Three can keep a secret if two are dead
    - Know the state laws in which you live, and the federal regs on the matter (truck driver)
    - Become a member of DefensiveCarry.com

Any substitutions?

Edited - Probably going to change the last one to "It's a last resort, no other option tool"
    Guest1 and protek like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Not just for CCW, but for ANYTHING related to handling firearms...

1. It is always loaded
    2. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch till you are ready to fire.
    3. It is ALWAYS loaded.
    4. Never point it at anything that you do not want to destroy.
    Guest1, Tex32Cal, protek and 7 others like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    > Buy a high quality holster and invest in a good & proper gun belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Not just for CCW, but for ANYTHING related to handling firearms...

1. It is always loaded
    2. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch till you are ready to fire.
    3. It is ALWAYS loaded.
    4. Never point it at anything that you do not want to destroy.
    That's gun safety. Everyone better know that. If not, then they should not be carrying.

I'm going for the Concealed Carrying rules.
    jrizzleP95 likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "As soon as we get back from layoff, I'm gonna have it with me all the time and screw [the company safety manager], she will never know (third boo boo)."

Evidently, having a job and income isn't high on his list of priorities. He gets caught with it, we'll see who's screwing whom. I can leave my gun in the car if that's what it takes to feed the family, pay the mortgage, etc.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Know the carry laws of the state you are carrying in, and know when you can use lethal force.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

1 Mind your own business. If it is not your problem, it's not your problem. Call the police, and leave it alone.
    2 Forget it, drive on.
    3 You are not as good as you think you are, so get better by training. (Going to the range to make holes in paper is not training)
    4 When someone was "Just minding my own business..." they weren't, and don't fall for that line of BS.
    Bark'n and bunker like this.

VIP Member
    Don't piss anyone off.
    Don't get pissed off by anyone.
    Don't go to stupid places, with stupid people, or do stupid things.
    Field stripping should be done before skinny dipping.
    MadMac, jem102, RTTR84 and 6 others like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Had to think about that last one. Sometimes I'm a bit slow. It's hard getting old...
    jem102 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good topic, but I'm guessing 100 replies will equal 400 answers. Should be interesting, though...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

If you read some of the posts above this one on the board, rule #1 would be don't go to a gas station in WI.

Something about CCW for defense only. It doesn't make you a cop either.

Reminds me of Miyagi's Dojo rules in Karate Kid 2... Rule number one: Karate is for defense only. Rule number 2: First learn rule number 1.
    97tbird and joecs1 like this.

Seems my list is much different from others.

1) Be aware of your surroundings when out and about. Don't text, don't talk on the phone. Know where you are going and watch what everybody is doing. Despite what some say, it is your business when you are in a public place. Don't be the grey man. Make eye contact with potential BGs so they'll know you are watching them.
    2) Don't carry if you aren't ready to take a life in self defense or defense of others. A small hesitation could get your weapon taken and turned on you.
    3) Try to imagine and plan for every possible situation that might occur as you are out and about. You don't want to be left trying to make up your mind what to do when something happens. For example, say your in line at the bank - imagine where you would take cover and what you would do if something went down.
    4) know and depend on your weapon. There's no excuse to be fumbling around with safety's, holsters, or jams when an emergency comes.
    tns0038 and TN_Mike like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Seems my list is much different from others.

1) Be aware of your surroundings when out and about. Don't text, don't talk on the phone. Know where you are going and watch what everybody is doing. Despite what some say, it is your business when you are in a public place. Don't be the grey man. Make eye contact with potential BGs so they'll know you are watching them.
    2) Don't carry if you aren't ready to take a life in self defense or defense of others. A small hesitation could get your weapon taken and turned on you.
    3) Try to imagine and plan for every possible situation that might occur as you are out and about. You don't want to be left trying to make up your mind what to do when something happens. For example, say your in line at the bank - imagine where you would take cover and what you would do if something went down.
    4) know and depend on your weapon. There's no excuse to be fumbling around with safety's, holsters, or jams when an emergency comes.
    These are pretty good, except that the part about making eye contact can work for or against you. In some neighbor hoods it would be seen as a challenge. There are times when a good stare might make someone think twice and pick another target, but sometimes it could make you more noticable.
    Nickelz218 likes this.

Unloaded guns kill people. (Actually, this it top on my list period. Regardless of why. It's a healthy paranoia I caught from my Uncle.)

Carry everywhere you can. How is up to you and your local laws.

Know the laws, not what the guy at the gun shop, LEO, friend said.

Know when to use it, and be willing to use it, or leave it at home.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links