Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yep, can't be any old sign - it's very specific, 11"x17", black text on a white background, Arial font. Most places won't put up a ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry

Yep, can't be any old sign - it's very specific, 11"x17", black text on a white background, Arial font. Most places won't put up a legal sign because they are intentionally ugly specs and must be at every entrance. :)

Carrying of Weapons Without Permit; Penalties.
    Subd. 17.Posting; trespass.
    (a) A person carrying a firearm on or about his or her person or clothes under a permit or otherwise who
    remains at a private establishment knowing that the operator of the establishment or its agent has made a
    reasonable request that firearms not be brought into the establishment may be ordered to leave the premises.
    A person who fails to leave when so requested is guilty of a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense Handgunlaw.us 4
    must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this subdivision is
    not subject to forfeiture.
    (b) As used in this subdivision, the terms in this paragraph have the meanings given.
    (1) "Reasonable request" means a request made under the following circumstances:
    (i) the requester has prominently posted a conspicuous sign at every entrance to the
    establishment containing the following language: "(INDICATE IDENTITY OF OPERATOR)
    BANS GUNS IN THESE PREMISES."; or
    (ii) the requester or the requester's agent personally informs the person that guns are
    prohibited in the premises and demands compliance

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Guys you are correct you have the choice not to spend your money in that business.

As an example if "Taco Bell" ever posted I would either just CC anyways, go through the drive thru or simply disarm. If it so happened that I was molested during a robbery so be it will take my chances I would not sue the restaurant.

So let me pose this question. If a business employed armed security, cameras, alarms and so on for your safety but posted "No Firearms Allowed" would you still go in? You are safe they have seen to that you do not need your gun here. Would you simply avoid it because it was posted and that offended you?

By the way before someone says they could live without Taco Bell if they posted a sign I have not had Taco Bell, BK, McDonalds, Wendys or anything like that in a year. I come home on leave mid January. I pity the person or persons who interupts my Burrito Supreme or Big Mac armed or not. You dont miss it until you dont have it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDay View Post
    Legal sign? In Wisconsin they just have to have it posted somewhere OR even told verbally. No special sign required here :-/
    Same thing in Ohio.

VIP Member
    There is a list on here somewhere of folks and businesses that are pro gun nationwide.

Might be good to post it again see if there are any new ones added or removed.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I obey the law. If a place has a legal standing (like bars here in WA), or posts a legally-enforceable sign prohibiting weapons, I will do everything in my power to avoid going there. I.E. I get my mail at a private postal box, not at the USPO. If I have to go into a place that's prohibited (went to the courthouse to get my passport), I leave my pistol behind and spend as little time as possible inside.

If a business posts a sign that's not legally enforceable (the movie theaters here, for example), I make sure I'm concealed well and otherwise disregard it.

When a place opens their doors to the public, it's not the same as their house. I know I'm in the distinct minority here, but unless they are providing armed security sufficient to protect me and my path to the car, my rights to self defense override their right to be warm-and-fuzzy.

Is WI a state (like Texas) that has a specific type of sign that is legally enforceable, where others are not? That's the impression I got from a few posts here, but I couldn't tell if they were talking about their home state or WI...

If a business or organization had an anti-gun stance or opinion, I am not particularly concerned. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and their distaste for firearms is just as valid as my pro-gun view. If they actively lobby or contribute financially to anti-gun legislation and organizations, I take them a bit more seriously but (as has been said before) you can't boycott everyone that has an anti-gun view, or you'd starve.

Signs= Squat in FL ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

For WI:

In regard to posting land, the law only provides that the sign must provide an “appropriate
    notice” and the name of the person giving the notice (listing self as either the owner of
    occupant). Wis. Stats. 943.13(2)am1. In regard to other locations the sign must
    simply state the restriction imposed. Wis. Stats. 943.13(2)(bm)1. At a minimum the
    sign must inform people that weapons or firearms are prohibited. There are a number of
    messages that would meet the standard and the ultimate purpose of the sign is to put
    individuals on notice of the prohibition or limitation.

What exactly is the penalty here in WI? Also Can they just call the cops and have you arrested or do you have to refuse to leave? I have asked for this distinction from several places but cannot get specific answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    What exactly is the penalty here in WI? Also Can they just call the cops and have you arrested or do you have to refuse to leave? I have asked for this distinction from several places but cannot get specific answers.
    Class A misdemeanor. Not more than $10,000 and not more than 9 months prison time. I believe they can just call the cops and have you arrested but I am willing to bet MOST people would warn you to leave first.

Quote Originally Posted by FryDay View Post
    For WI:

In regard to posting land, the law only provides that the sign must provide an “appropriate
    notice” and the name of the person giving the notice (listing self as either the owner of
    occupant). Wis. Stats. 943.13(2)am1. In regard to other locations the sign must
    simply state the restriction imposed. Wis. Stats. 943.13(2)(bm)1. At a minimum the
    sign must inform people that weapons or firearms are prohibited. There are a number of
    messages that would meet the standard and the ultimate purpose of the sign is to put
    individuals on notice of the prohibition or limitation.

You need to see this part of the law, it defines what a "Sign" consists of:

"943.13 (2) (bm) 1. In this paragraph, “sign” means a sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2. That
    is at least 5 inches by 7 inches."

Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    You need to see this part of the law, it defines what a "Sign" consists of:

"943.13 (2) (bm) 1. In this paragraph, “sign” means a sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2. That
    is at least 5 inches by 7 inches."
    So... it has to be bigger than two business cards side-by-side.

That clears things right up.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    So... it has to be bigger than two business cards side-by-side.

That clears things right up.
    In Wisconsin all they need is a sign at each entrance that is at least 5" X 7" and declare that weapons are not allowed. That's as clear as the law gets in WI.

Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    In Wisconsin all they need is a sign at each entrance that is at least 5" X 7" and declare that weapons are not allowed. That's as clear as the law get in WI.
    Oh, I wasn't talking about what you said... I was talking about the sign itself.

5x7 is tiny as far as signs go... a little bigger than two business cards top-to-bottom. That size of a "sign" can be so easily lost on a door with the no-smoking, credit card accepted, BBB listed, business hours, no pets, shoes and shirts required, CCTV in use, and open/closed notices that most people wouldn't even see it...

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Oh, I wasn't talking about what you said... I was talking about the sign itself.

5x7 is tiny as far as signs go... a little bigger than two business cards top-to-bottom. That size of a "sign" can be so easily lost on a door with the no-smoking, credit card accepted, BBB listed, business hours, no pets, shoes and shirts required, CCTV in use, and open/closed notices that most people wouldn't even see it...
    I have only seen a couple of these signs so far and they are hard to see, if fact I didn't see one until I left the building and looked back.

Also, Yes, I was referring to the sign too, my apologies if I made is sound personal. :-)

Same old posts, same old arguments - on both sides - for the umpteenth time.

Doesn't anyone ever read existing threads? That's what the search function is for.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links