Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think we should make a site (I can make it if needed) to list the businesses that ban guns....we can call it something like ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry

I think we should make a site (I can make it if needed) to list the businesses that ban guns....we can call it something like Wisconsin's Criminal Hit List.

Businesses have the right/choice to put the sign up but I also have the choice to spend my hard earned cash at a business that doesn't ban my rights. I served this country for those rights (I understand it's those same rights that allow them to put up the sign as it allows me to take my business somewhere else).

2. Remove Ads

My wife an I were walking in a store not long ago that had a sign that said no concealed weapons . She commented after leaving the store, is that a legal sign, I said sure, it is their store, they can ask me to leave, but honey, it is concealed, so how are they going to know.....it is not against the law, it is against their policy...i will not stop patronizing that store, maybe it is an insurance thing, who knows, and I do not care, I am so used to just carrying, I do not even look at the signs, I know where I can and cannot carry legally and that is what I do.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    My wife an I were walking in a store not long ago that had a sign that said no concealed weapons . She commented after leaving the store, is that a legal sign, I said sure, it is their store, they can ask me to leave, but honey, it is concealed, so how are they going to know.....it is not against the law, it is against their policy...i will not stop patronizing that store, maybe it is an insurance thing, who knows, and I do not care, I am so used to just carrying, I do not even look at the signs, I know where I can and cannot carry legally and that is what I do.....
    Yes it is their policy but is also against the law [in Wisconsin] to enter their store.
    In addition, property owners generally possess the right to exclude others from their property. While the specific provisions below only reference prohibiting the possession of firearms, property owners may also prohibit or restrict the possession of other weapons on their property. Violations of such restrictions may also constitute a Class B forfeiture under Wis. Stat. § 943.13(1m)(b).

Quote Originally Posted by FryDay View Post
    Class A misdemeanor. Not more than $10,000 and not more than 9 months prison time. I believe they can just call the cops and have you arrested but I am willing to bet MOST people would warn you to leave first.
    No, it's a Class B forfeiture.

Quote Originally Posted by WI DOJ
    RESTRICTIONS BY BUSINESSES AND PROPERTY OWNERS
    Can a business or property owner limit or prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons on its premises?
    Yes. The law permits certain owners and occupants of property to prohibit persons from carrying a concealed firearm in or on the property. A person may be subject to a Class B forfeiture if he or she carries a firearm on the property after being notified not to remain on the property or remain with a specific type of firearm. In the latter case, a property owner can prohibit a person form possessing a specific type of firearm on their property or any firearm. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(1m)(b).
    In addition, property owners generally possess the right to exclude others from their property. While the specific provisions below only reference prohibiting the possession of firearms, property owners may also prohibit or restrict the possession of other weapons on their property. Violations of such restrictions may also constitute a Class B forfeiture under Wis. Stat. § 943.13(1m)(b). Therefore, the language quoted below, while only mentioning firearms, applies with equal force to other weapons
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf

See this is why I asked, what is a class B forfeiture? And the quote above says A person may be subject to a Class B forfeiture if he or she carries a firearm on the property after being notified not to remain on the property or remain with a specific type of firearm. so does that mean if I didn't see the sign I will not be arrested? I know it all depends on the LEO and area, just wish there was some clarity.

I try not to patronize any business that would deny me the right to carry a concealed hangun on their premises when I have a legal valid permit to do so.

However. I'm not going to froth at the mouth and get all bent out of shape if I happen across one while the wife and I are packing our pistols. My choice would to leave and go someplace else first. If that is inconvienient, then discreetly disarm at the car, lock up the guns in the trunk or whatever and do business the one time and not return. I will not ignore a sign prohibiting the carry of a concealed weapon if it does or doesn't have the force of law behind it. I don't want to be a non-law abiding citizen.

Recently I had to renew my WV Drivers License. The DMV is so close to me I can walk to it. I did and I know it is posted with the classic gun-buster revolver in red circle with slash across it sign. The lady said I needed another form of ID. I did not have any other so I asked if my current WV Concealed Revolver/Pistol License with my photo would be acceptable? She said yes and I didn't have to walk back home and get more ID and come back. I felt the irony. My firearm was prohibited, yet they gleefully accepted the license to conceal carry it to facilitate getting my new DL.

I think that chosing to not do business with places who post no guns allowed signs is up to the individual. That is what makes us great, the choice to do or not do business with anyone, with a couple of exceptions.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

What he said
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    My crystal ball doesn't work that well. Bad stuff can happen anywhere and the worst of it seems to happen in victim disarmament zones.

I don't predict. I prepare.

I ate lunch earlier this week in the Wooden Nickle Tavern in Grand Marsh Wisconsin. When I left I noticed the no guns allowed sign posted on the inside wall along side the door. Impossible to see when entering unless one looked backward. The owner wasn't around so I wasn't able to speak with him about it. It was the first sign I've seen in my rural area in Central Wisconsin.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

If businesses think the signs work why don't they put up a sign reading: NO CRIMES ALLOWED and see how much that works.
    srjgolfer likes this.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    If businesses think the signs work why don't they put up a sign reading: NO CRIMES ALLOWED and see how much that works.
    Check this You Tube out [make sure U watch its not what it appears to be] Gun Free Zones - 1/2 Hour News Hour - YouTube
    CIBMike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    We need to have a list of Wisconsin businesses that have banned weapons so we know ahead of time not to bother with them. Please only post businesses that you are positive do not allow weapons. Also if it is a chain/franchise type store post the specific store location since it might not be a corporate decision.

Robert Haack Jewelery -- Milwaukee

HOBO -- South 27th Street -- Milwaukee
    Here is a "Don't buy site" I use

Don’t Buy List | Wisconsin Gun Owners, Inc. (WGO) - Wisconsin's Only No-Compromise Gun Lobby - Wisconsin Gun Rights - Wisconsin Concealed Carry
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin
    "A gentlemen will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Guess my attitude is a little different than most. First of all, if I have a choice, I will stay out of businesses which post Criminal Protection Zone signs. However, I don't feel particularly compelled to be personally inconvenienced because a business owner doesn't happen to share the same views regarding firearms that I do. That's one of the best things about this country. We can all have differing views regardless of how ignorant or wrong some of them are.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

TGP

Don't Buy List

Here is a well organized website Don't Buy List for Wisconsin, updated frequently by CCW permit holder observations:

Don’t Buy List | Wisconsin Gun Owners, Inc. (WGO) - Wisconsin's Only No-Compromise Gun Lobby - Wisconsin Gun Rights - Wisconsin Concealed Carry

Submit names of businesses not allowing firearms with CCW on their premises to the Don't Buy List website. The website also sends a letter to the business telling them that they have been posted to the website. The list is then widely distributed and posted in Malls and other conspicuous places for all to see.

VIP Member
    Wow no one answered the question.

So let me pose this question. If a business employed armed security, cameras, alarms and so on for your safety but posted "No Firearms Allowed" would you still go in? You are safe they have seen to that you do not need your gun here. Would you simply avoid it because it was posted and that offended you?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Wow no one answered the question.

So let me pose this question. If a business employed armed security, cameras, alarms and so on for your safety but posted "No Firearms Allowed" would you still go in? You are safe they have seen to that you do not need your gun here. Would you simply avoid it because it was posted and that offended you?
    If No firearms allowed, what are the armed security armed with?

Given the choice, unless I need something specifically from that store/business, I will more often than not take my business elsewhere.

They made their choice, I make mine.

To me its not different than if I get bad customer service at a place, I will choose to take my business elsewhere.
    Last edited by vista461; December 17th, 2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: added more

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links