Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry - Page 5

Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TGP Here is a well organized website Don't Buy List for Wisconsin, updated frequently by CCW permit holder observations: Don’t Buy List ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do Not Patronize Businesses That Are Anti Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by TGP View Post
    Here is a well organized website Don't Buy List for Wisconsin, updated frequently by CCW permit holder observations:

Don’t Buy List | Wisconsin Gun Owners, Inc. (WGO) - Wisconsin's Only No-Compromise Gun Lobby - Wisconsin Gun Rights - Wisconsin Concealed Carry

Submit names of businesses not allowing firearms with CCW on their premises to the Don't Buy List website. The website also sends a letter to the business telling them that they have been posted to the website. The list is then widely distributed and posted in Malls and other conspicuous places for all to see.
    I'm going to have to check my local Associated bank. The WGO site just lists it, no specified location. I saw a jsonline article with them saying they weren't going to post, because they didn't want to alienate their customers. I almost never go in my bank though so it's not a huge deal.

"If you put up a sign, then you have to enforce it," said Neil Purtell, director of corporate security for Associated Bank. "And I really don't want my 22-year-old tellers arguing with someone who decided to come in with a weapon. That's just a losing game, in my mind. I don't want acrimony, I don't want confrontation. I want to serve the customers and have them leave the bank happy."

In a sampling of the largest banks with branches in Wisconsin, only one - U.S. Bank - said for certain it doesn't allow weapons to be carried into its facilities. But U.S. Bank spokeswoman Amy Frantti also said the bank does not plan to post signs prohibiting weapons. M&I Bank and Harris Bank, both owned by BMO Financial Group, haven't decided yet.
    http://www.jsonline.com/business/ban...133303908.html

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Wow no one answered the question.

So let me pose this question. If a business employed armed security, cameras, alarms and so on for your safety but posted "No Firearms Allowed" would you still go in? You are safe they have seen to that you do not need your gun here. Would you simply avoid it because it was posted and that offended you?
    What about the parking lot? The criminals know that it is dangerous for them inside, so they stay out. They wait around till they see what looks like an armed citizen stowing their weapon. Said, now disarmed customer goes into the store and the criminal plays smash-and-grab. The stupidity and absurdity of the prohibitions has no limit.

To me, the part about leaving you less defensible is part of the equation. Would I avoid it because it was posted? Maybe, it depends upon what it is and whether or not I could get it elsewhere.

Most forums I know would lock a thread for being this far off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by sidd129 View Post
    Most forums I know would lock a thread for being this far off topic.
    I don't see the posts being off topic not even remotely.

So let me pose this question. If a business employed armed security, cameras, alarms and so on for your safety but posted "No Firearms Allowed" would you still go in? You are safe they have seen to that you do not need your gun here. Would you simply avoid it because it was posted and that offended you?
    I'll give my opinion: cameras and alarms do nothing to keep you safe, and neither will armed security unless they; stay with you from the time you leave your car until the time you get back to it, are well trained, and are actually willing to risk their life in defending yours (which you have no way of knowing until the SHTF). We may just be talking about the lives of my loved ones, and I sure as heck will not take a chance of all those things being true in that case. I would not be offended by the owner exercising his/her right to post. It's not about hurting my feelings, it's about protecting my loved ones. That's my responsibility. I don't trust anyone else because the stakes are too high. My choice not to give them my business would be rational, not emotional.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Here the distinction:

Those business owners have posted an invitation to criminals to use their business as a place to victimize people who cannot have the tools to protect themselves. So as crazy as this may sound they think more of the criminal than they do of decent lawabiding citizens. We know that the a criminal will not abide by that sign but we will. Nope if they have sign especially seeing that it is out of ignorance/emotion that they posted that sign then they are telling me they would rather cater to the criminal than to me.
    And what of businesses that do not allow their employees to carry? Should we not patronize them either?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    I'll give my opinion: cameras and alarms do nothing to keep you safe, and neither will armed security unless they; stay with you from the time you leave your car until the time you get back to it, are well trained, and are actually willing to risk their life in defending yours (which you have no way of knowing until the SHTF). We may just be talking about the lives of my loved ones, and I sure as heck will not take a chance of all those things being true in that case. I would not be offended by the owner exercising his/her right to post. It's not about hurting my feelings, it's about protecting my loved ones. That's my responsibility. I don't trust anyone else because the stakes are too high. My choice not to give them my business would be rational, not emotional.
    I assume your kids are homeschooled as that is the only way that you could be there to protect them 24/7. The stakes are too high to send them to public school.

Disapproval of a property owners' decision to post does not equate to a disrespect of their right to do so. You can see by some of the reactions in this thread that some cannot grasp this concept.

It is possible to both respect their right through action (i.e., not patronizing the establishment as requested via signage), and disagree with their decision in principle through discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I assume your kids are homeschooled as that is the only way that you could be there to protect them 24/7. The stakes are too high to send them to public school.
    You're free to assume whatever you like. I can't be there all the time, but when I am I do what I think is necessary. I thought that's what the discussion was about. Sigh.

NRA member

So I can assume that you do not patronize businesses that post? I assume that you respect their wishes and avoid ping there simply because the stakes are too high to disarm to enter those stores?

Sure.

If that protection extends to the parking garage.

Why not just avoid any places that do not allow you to carry? Including work, friends homes, family homes, and church? Stand up for your rights.

Why not just avoid any places that do not allow you to carry? Including work, friends homes, family homes, and church? Stand up for your rights.
    I choose to live in a state where those people don't get the choice to ALLOW me to carry. They can request I not carry, but they cannot force me to honor their request.

And what of businesses that do not allow their employees to carry? Should we not patronize them either?
    I try to avoid Walgreens for that reason. Then again, most businesses have a 'no weapons' clause in the handbook. That's generally not disseminated to the public though...
    Last edited by livewire; December 21st, 2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Merge

So I can assume that you do not patronize businesses that post? I assume that you respect their wishes and avoid ping there simply because the stakes are too high to disarm to enter those stores?
    Unless I really don't have a choice, that would be correct.

NRA member

Wisconsin Businesses that Allow Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Excellent site. Hopefully someone puts one up for Wisconsin. Any takers??
    I have started a Facebook page that lists businesses that allow and don't allow CC. http://www.facebook.com/WisconsinBus...ConcealedCarry

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links