Wi Sheriff's dept has concealed weapon scenario-based training for traffic stops

Wi Sheriff's dept has concealed weapon scenario-based training for traffic stops

This is a discussion on Wi Sheriff's dept has concealed weapon scenario-based training for traffic stops within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sheriff's department has concealed weapon scenario-based training for traffic stops | The Oshkosh Northwestern | thenorthwestern.com Saw this today, thought the training was taken a ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Black Knight
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By stevem174
  • 1 Post By mlr1m
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike

Thread: Wi Sheriff's dept has concealed weapon scenario-based training for traffic stops

Sheriff's department has concealed weapon scenario-based training for traffic stops | The Oshkosh Northwestern | thenorthwestern.com

Saw this today, thought the training was taken a bit out of context by reporting on the verbally non compliant driver only, makes it sound to the general public if you dont read the whole article that
    1] CCW holders can be defiant in such a way that the police have to train/prepare for it.

2] CCW holders may be a special breed of people you should watch out for

If you read the whole article, it makes sense, police train for bad situations, that is how it is done, but it is fun to see the Law Enforcement side of it, its new to them also here in Wisconsin. Every time things change the media is always there to blow it out of proportion.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Blowing things out of proportion is part of a "journalist'" training regimine. Ever notice how most of them look physically fit? Its because besides blowing things out of proportion they are always jumping; jumping to get a story first not neccessarily factually accurate, and jumping to conclusions on limited information from one side. They are so inbalanced you will never find one walking a tightrope.
    Madcap_Magician likes this.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Can you imagine if these LEOs knew before they walked up to the car the driver was a permit holder. I think a previous version of CCW law that passed the legislature and Doyle vetoed had a provision that when officers ran your license plate it would be cross referenced to see if you were a CCW holder and they would know immediately you might be carrying. That previous version also required more training I believe. The Democrats could have had a more gun-unfriendly CCW law if they had just let that older version pass.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    In MI, if you're pulled over, the LEO on scene does, in fact, already know if you have been issued a CPL, but s/he doesn't know if you are armed. Therefore, if you are cc-ing and have an official encounter with LEO in MI, you "shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle".

Quote taken from MSP - Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

I believe WI law enforcement should also obtain training by LE from the other states, such as MI, that have been "shall issue" for 10+ yrs. I'm sure they have real world experience and training that would be of value to WI.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

good for them, when both sides understand what needs to be done no one gets hurt and we don't have another Canton Ohio
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Can you imagine if these LEOs knew before they walked up to the car the driver was a permit holder. I think a previous version of CCW law that passed the legislature and Doyle vetoed had a provision that when officers ran your license plate it would be cross referenced to see if you were a CCW holder and they would know immediately you might be carrying. That previous version also required more training I believe. The Democrats could have had a more watered down CCW law if they had just let that older version pass.
    It doesn't work that way.
    When they run the license plate, they do not get any info on the driver they get info on the owner of the car which may or may not be the driver. They don't know who the driver is until they make contact with the driver.
    joker1 likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Winnebago County sheriff John Matz said the law will put deputies on a higher alert level.

We might get called out on an everyday situation, but the new twist is there could be a weapon involved that we normally didn’t have,” Matz said. “Before, we were the only ones who could bring weapons to a scene, but we’ll have to deal with things a little differently now. We typically deal with good people who make poor decisions,and now weapons are added to those poor decisions.”
    This Sheriff is living in la la land if you ask me. The only change this law has made is that law abiding citizens may now carry. The bag guys have always carried them.
    “Before, we were the only ones who could bring weapons to a scene
    Yes, prior to this law the police were the only ones who had weapons at bank robberies, muggings, car jackings and home invasions. The BG's were all waiting for a law like this to be passes so that they too could be armed.

Michael
    joker1 likes this.

Over all I don't think this is anything bad. A poorly written news story perhaps, but the fact that the Sheriff is training his people in how to react to civilians carrying isn't a bad thing. A Deputy that is trained and knows going into a stop that the citizen may be armed will not be surprised and will be less likely to be a jackass about it like the clown in Canton Ohio was.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Can you imagine if these LEOs knew before they walked up to the car the driver was a permit holder. I think a previous version of CCW law that passed the legislature and Doyle vetoed had a provision that when officers ran your license plate it would be cross referenced to see if you were a CCW holder and they would know immediately you might be carrying. That previous version also required more training I believe. The Democrats could have had a more gun-unfriendly CCW law if they had just let that older version pass.
    They do that here. We "do NOT have to notify", so they put that type of system in, which was a way to get around the legislature making it "do not have to notify". Anyway, those LEO"s who are anti-ccw are in the minority, so it's not been an issue that I'm aware of. LEO's don't act any differently towards us. There are some areas though, if the attitudes aren't positive, it could be a real negative.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    “I try to tell the officers that in most cases someone who has a CCW permit and is carrying a weapon is not going to be problematic,” Wrage said. “People have the right to carry a concealed weapon with a permit. As long as those who carry a permit respect that right and officers respect their right as well, but still maintain safe practices, I don’t foresee many problems.”
    There's the winning quote.

... aaaaaand here's the losing quote.

“We might get called out on an everyday situation, but the new twist is there could be a weapon involved that we normally didn’t have,” Matz said. “Before, we were the only ones who could bring weapons to a scene, but we’ll have to deal with things a little differently now. We typically deal with good people who make poor decisions,and now weapons are added to those poor decisions.”
    Does this last sheriff honestly think that his deputies never dealt with armed suspects before CCW permits went into effect?
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Sponsored Links