federal guard dog 9mm speer gold dot 9mm

This is a discussion on federal guard dog 9mm speer gold dot 9mm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have been looking for a good personel defense load i have narrowed it down to two let me know your thoughts and favorites mine ...

Thread: federal guard dog 9mm speer gold dot 9mm

federal guard dog 9mm speer gold dot 9mm

i have been looking for a good personel defense load i have narrowed it down to two let me know your thoughts and favorites

mine are federal guard dog 9mm speer gold dot 9mm

2. Remove Ads

Of those 2 I would go with the Speer Gold Dots. Police Dept's all over the country use them. If it's good for them is good for you. Go with the 124+p
    One more step and it's on!

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The Speer GDHP has an established record of effectiveness in the 124-gr. +P load. I concur with dripster.

The Guard Dog is an unproven round. That doesn't mean it's ineffective, it just means we don't know. It's an EFMJ, which could be beneficial if your gun of choice is not friendly to hollowpoint ammunition or if your state (i.e. NJ) or local government has some kind of regulation against hollowpoints.

Also, GDHP are available in 50-round LE boxes for the same price as the 20-round boxes sold in the stores... Guard Dog, not so much.
    Hakkaa päälle!

The EFMJ/Guard Dog only has a few advantages over the GD. If you need a low penetration round for around the house use, if you can't use JHP for "political" reasons, or if your gun won't feed JHP (and does anybody really carry a gun like that for defense anymore?).

Detroit PD uses the EFMJ, for political reasons, but among LEO agencies the Gold Dot is much more common. It's also cheaper. The civilian Guard Dog is a watered down version of Federal's LEO only line, another annoying policy of Federal. If you do choose the Guard Dog, at least find the LEO stuff online and get full powered ammo.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Speer Gold Dot!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have been running the Hornady Tap FPD 147 grain

Links