WI ccw road kill use

This is a discussion on WI ccw road kill use within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get in your vehicle and run over it again and again untill its dead. Problem solved....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: WI ccw road kill use

Get in your vehicle and run over it again and again untill its dead. Problem solved.

2. Remove Ads

That's illegal, stupid, and just wrong.

That's not even a logical response. Even if you have no concern for the animal, you should care about the potential damage that could be done to the vehicle itself.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In a bunch of states, that act of compassion would run you afoul of fish and game laws.
    Some of us do it anyway. Mostly deer, some dogs, sometimes my own. A deer kick can leave a nasty mark, tire iron's too short and their skull is too thick.

The only deer I have ever shot (all I could do was fall asleep when deer hunting) was with a .32 Guardian I used to carry all the time. The car in front of my hit it on a back road and it was in alot of pain and everyone agreed it would be better to put it down then let it suffer. It was on a back country road at least..

A member of OCDO was charged in Wisconsin for shooting a deer that he hit.
    So, I hit a deer tonight with my car while carrying and shot the deer..

"Except as provided in sub. (4) (a), (bg), (cg), (e), and (g), no person may discharge a firearm or shoot a bolt or an arrow from a bow or crossbow from or across a highway or within 50 feet of the center of a roadway."

I can understand if you are way out in country, but its a terrible idea inside the city limits.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

It doesn't shock me at all. There are many law enforcement officers that don't see a firearm as an essential tool in their trade. They treat it like the radio on their belt. Just another item. The only time I have ever felt unsafe at an indoor pistol range was with several off duty county deputies practicing due to not making qualification. Not going to discuss their antics but it was enough for me to leave and come back later. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of officers that are good shots. Just because they have a badge doesn't make them a marksman.

Senior Moderator
    I guess I am fortunate to live in such a primitive state. Well...primitive according to some.

I have dispatched too many deer to count. I've done it as both a Deputy and as a driver that happened to be in the right spot at the right time.

In this part of the country, our LEO's seem to have some common sense about the situation. If you happen to have the means to dispatch a hurt animal, then they are more than happy to let you have at it. It saves them a trip and a report...and NO you wont have to worry about a citation. The Game Wardens here are the same way.

They know that running over a deer is not something that anyone intends to do. It is NOT hunting, so the rules of shooting from the roadway do not apply. Only a mentally challenged LEO or Warden would even think to write someone for that, but it would take a hint of common sense to be able to understand the situation and common sense is about to be something that is fast dissapearing from our society.

I have received calls from dispatch asking if a person could "dispatch" a deer. My response is the same, make sure they are aware of where the bullet may go. Shooting on the hard pavement will usually richochette, not a problem out in the sticks, but could be in the city. Its best when the deer is in the ditch or off the roadway, but I dont expect anyone to try to latch onto a wounded deer either. I wouldnt do it and I wouldnt expect them to.

A deer isnt hard to kill. Walk up to it and shoot it in the head. Its the quickest, most humane way to do it. I personally do not like to see any animal suffer. I heard them screaming like sheep and it can be unsettling to all around. I've seen their back legs paralyized while trying to crawl off, I've seen all legs broke, I've seen them torn in half and still alive. Its messy but I refuse to let one suffer.

Not a big deal but, our highly against CCW police chief would go off the handle and its not really something we want to happen.
    No body wants it to happen, but in my opinion if your highly against CCW police chief would go off the handle because someone put a deer out of its misery, then he is not fit to be the Police Chief.
    pfries and luke213 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    It's better to kill it with the tire iron. You are less likely to get into trouble going that route. I guarantee you that the guy who shot the coyote was not 50 yards off the road as the law mandates. The risk isn't worth the problems.

If you are going to shoot something, which is humane, get the OK from the dispatcher first.
    Sounds to me like the shooter was the DISPATCHER.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    Sounds to me like the shooter was the DISPATCHER.
    If you hit a deer you are required to call it in to the local police/sheriff's department. It's the law in Wisconsin.

It does not matter if you like it or not, if you have an overzealous DA like I do in my city, you don't want to take the risk. Thankfully, my moron of a DA is leaving office and going into the private sector. The day that press release came out was one of the brightest moments of this month. I'm hoping we have a new DA with some common sense.

Senior Moderator
    DA with some common sense.

He's a lawyer right?

Good luck with that one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I guess I am fortunate to live in such a primitive state. Well...primitive according to some.

I have dispatched too many deer to count. I've done it as both a Deputy and as a driver that happened to be in the right spot at the right time.

In this part of the country, our LEO's seem to have some common sense about the situation. If you happen to have the means to dispatch a hurt animal, then they are more than happy to let you have at it. It saves them a trip and a report...and NO you wont have to worry about a citation. The Game Wardens here are the same way.

They know that running over a deer is not something that anyone intends to do. It is NOT hunting, so the rules of shooting from the roadway do not apply. Only a mentally challenged LEO or Warden would even think to write someone for that, but it would take a hint of common sense to be able to understand the situation and common sense is about to be something that is fast dissapearing from our society.

I have received calls from dispatch asking if a person could "dispatch" a deer. My response is the same, make sure they are aware of where the bullet may go. Shooting on the hard pavement will usually richochette, not a problem out in the sticks, but could be in the city. Its best when the deer is in the ditch or off the roadway, but I dont expect anyone to try to latch onto a wounded deer either. I wouldnt do it and I wouldnt expect them to.

A deer isnt hard to kill. Walk up to it and shoot it in the head. Its the quickest, most humane way to do it. I personally do not like to see any animal suffer. I heard them screaming like sheep and it can be unsettling to all around. I've seen their back legs paralyized while trying to crawl off, I've seen all legs broke, I've seen them torn in half and still alive. Its messy but I refuse to let one suffer.

No body wants it to happen, but in my opinion if your highly against CCW police chief would go off the handle because someone put a deer out of its misery, then he is not fit to be the Police Chief.
    [QUOTE=HotGuns;2106919]

^^^^^^^HotGuns^^^^^^^^^

For newly appointed cabinet post.

Officer of COMMON SENSE!!!!...........Who's with me?????.....C'mon now,,,,,,,,

I think where you happen to have(what part of the state) a car/deer collision might make a difference in the reaction of the Dispatcher/responding LEO.

Here in MI. the closer you are to the Metro Detroit counties vs. the majority of the others is very telling.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    A
    "Except as provided in sub. (4) (a), (bg), (cg), (e), and (g), no person may discharge a firearm or shoot a bolt or an arrow from a bow or crossbow from or across a highway or within 50 feet of the center of a roadway".
    In California, you cannot fire across or on a roadway IN AN UNSAFE MANNER. So the Game law probably will be violated, but if the shot can be deemed "safe" like out here in the sticks,then that would otherwise be OK . I don't stick around to play lawyer, if it needs to be put down I get it over with and get on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    It doesn't shock me at all. There are many law enforcement officers that don't see a firearm as an essential tool in their trade. They treat it like the radio on their belt. Just another item. The only time I have ever felt unsafe at an indoor pistol range was with several off duty county deputies practicing due to not making qualification. Not going to discuss their antics but it was enough for me to leave and come back later. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of officers that are good shots. Just because they have a badge doesn't make them a marksman.
    here in my state of Nc the police officers go to BLET(basic law enforcement training) or police academy.
    Me and my friends always have this personal joke saying..........
    I am a pretty good marksmen and so are my friends.................anyways when we shoot next to any police officer they will always walk up and ask" hey, when did you guys go to blet?"
    get it? if your a good shot then you are surely a cop. when we say no, they have a does not compute look on thier faces

I wouldn't think twice about finishing an injured animal out in the country. I wouldn't risk it where anyone might call the cops, especially if it was somewhere that didn't rely on a state trooper that could be an hour away, which is a shame because of the animal suffering.

The first deer I ever shot got hit so that it paralyzed it's rear. The sounds it made and the sight of it trying to drag its self away were enough for me to chamber another round and finish it as quickly as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    I don't stick around to play lawyer, if it needs to be put down I get it over with and get on my way.
    I completely agree with you on this having been in the same situation but it is an absolute shame that the meat couldn't have been harvested to feed someone less fortunate. It was a choice to end a critically wounded animals suffering in a safe and efficient manner without running afoul of any possible local ordinances. It really sucked that the kids had to see this deer flopping it's head around on top of a broken neck. Whoever hit it just left it on the side of the road. Definitely the most humane way of dealing with it but still hated the waste.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links