WI ccw road kill use

WI ccw road kill use

This is a discussion on WI ccw road kill use within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local car repair shop owner here in Spring Green said yesterday morning as he got to work he saw a car stopped and it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: WI ccw road kill use

WI ccw road kill use

A local car repair shop owner here in Spring Green said yesterday morning as he got to work he saw a car stopped and it had hit a coyote. He walked over and the coyote was still kicking and snapping, he asked the guy if he wanted him to go back and get a tire iron or something to dispatch the coyote. The guy said no no reason, pulled up his shirt pulled out his sidearm and dispatched the coyote in town. The shop owner is a hunter and an FFL holder so he said it didn't bug him at all. He said the guy just said see you later and drove off, Utah plates.
    Not a big deal but, our highly against CCW police chief would go off the handle and its not really something we want to happen.

VIP Member
    Yeah, that would be a pretty quick way to get arrested in a lot of places, regardless of the pro or anti views from local law enforcement on CCW. Discharging a firearm inside city limits is pretty much a no-no and dispatching road kill isn't going to save you from an arrest and possible prosecution. Out in the country, it probably wouldn't raise much of an eyebrow since the local sheriff who would most likely have to deal with it would be just as happy not having to drive out and shoot the animal themselves, but inside city limits is a whole different ballgame.
    marcclarke likes this.

In a bunch of states, that act of compassion would run you afoul of fish and game laws.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In a bunch of states, that act of compassion would run you afoul of fish and game laws.
    In Wisconsin, Coyotes are an "unprotected species", and can be hunted any time, any place (local ordinances notwithstanding).

Out of city limits, go for it in NC. Inside city limits, I'm waiting for LE to give me the OK or let them do it. I hate seeing an animal suffer. But My family does not need to suffer either.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Never seen a yote hit by a car and we have alot of yotes around here, They are pretty darn sneaky ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by zuuma View Post
    In Wisconsin, Coyotes are an "unprotected species", and can be hunted any time, any place (local ordinances notwithstanding).
    This is true, as long as you have a small game license. No license and your considered as hunting without a license and subject to fine and forfeiture, which in Wisconsin could mean your firearm and if you pick it up to save the hide and throw it in your trunk, could me loss of your vehicle. There is also the law regarding hunting and discharge of a firearm within a certain distance from a road, so unless your going to drag it off into the woods or field before you dispatch it, you setting yourself up for nothing but trouble. Play it safe and call the local LEO and have them dispatch it. Once they do, they will tag it for you if you wish to keep the hide or meat in case of a deer kill.
    stevem174 likes this.

It's better to kill it with the tire iron. You are less likely to get into trouble going that route. I guarantee you that the guy who shot the coyote was not 50 yards off the road as the law mandates. The risk isn't worth the problems.

If you are going to shoot something, which is humane, get the OK from the dispatcher first.

mel
    I completely agree that it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. When the law and commonsense come into question, better to err on the side of.... Yeah well.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Out of city limits, go for it in NC. Inside city limits, I'm waiting for LE to give me the OK or let them do it. I hate seeing an animal suffer. But My family does not need to suffer either.
    Now jason, even out of city limits what is one of the ordinances for hunting?
    A jerk officer might use our famous in between the lines officer interpertation and bust you.
    Shooting the coyote on the road or even road side is a no no, better drag him way off the road, then you could get in trouble by the propery owner, (best to just load up the coyote and take him home)

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    It's better to kill it with the tire iron. You are less likely to get into trouble going that route. I guarantee you that the guy who shot the coyote was not 50 yards off the road as the law mandates. The risk isn't worth the problems.

If you are going to shoot something, which is humane, get the OK from the dispatcher first.
    I concur

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Same here. In the old days I have shot injured deer and family pets which were in agony after they had been hit by cars. Thought nothing of putting them out of their misery.
    Now days I let then lie. To many folks around that might take offense to it. Not worth the risk of being charged with a crime.

Michael

A deer ran full blast into a van in front of me, and we stopped too of course. It needed to be finished off, as it had done so much damage to itself, it had no chance to recover in any form and was really struggling. I would NOT shoot it, as we were in the edge of a nearby large city. However, a Sheriff's deputy arrived , and he pulled out his gun and told us that he was going to put it out of it's misery. Remember , the deer was jerking around ... but not that bad at this point.

After he missed 8 shots, I approached him and asked him if I could do it, because he was not watching the house in direct line of the shots he was taking or anything else. He said I can do it.... and shot again (& missed). The other guy couldn't take it any longer (and neither could I ) , he pulled his gun and shot the deer in the head.

The funny part was, the Sheriff's deputy looked stunned, not realizing I guess the guy had a gun on him. LOL. He reholstered it and asked if there was anything else he needed.... and the Sheriff's Deputy said " no , uh.... you are free to go ... thanks".

But, technically, it's illegal in that city to discharge a firearm in the city, but it's legal in the state to end the suffering of an animal in that type of situation.... so I have no idea which law would have won out on that deal.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If that deer could shoot back that deputy woulda been in trouble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's funny, but one of my neighbors hit a deer years ago. Not an uncommon occurrence at all. My Dad happened to be driving by, and stopped. He offered his assistance to our neighbor, and was given the offer to take the deer after it was killed. It was still alive in the ditch.

It took a bit after the call was made to get a Deputy to the scene. The Deputy missed the deer at less than 10' four times before he hit the deer. Which he did not kill with the first shot. My Dad offered to shoot the deer for the Deputy, but he was not amused. He then walked up point blank (he wasn't already?) and shot it in the head.

I'm more concerned that a LEO that can't hit the broadside of a barn will be the responder in a situation in gun free zone, than I am of armed citizens that CC.

I wish Wisconsin had a law giving private citizens the right to at least put down animals hit by vehicles. It would make things simpler, but the liberal animal lovers don't understand that their misguided sentiments only cause more suffering to wildlife. They definately don't help the animals like they believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links