Calling the cops after drawing your firearm.

This is a discussion on Calling the cops after drawing your firearm. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't remember where I read it...on these hallowed pages or in the American Rifleman or something else....BUT there was a story of a guy ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Calling the cops after drawing your firearm.

I can't remember where I read it...on these hallowed pages or in the American Rifleman or something else....BUT there was a story of a guy who scared off three assailants and then called 911. In Texas as I recall. The next day, one of the perps called the police and told them that a man had brandished a firearm at he and his friends the night before....same location and time.
    Guess who the police believed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Since I first started carrying I have thought long and hard about this.

I always stay aware of my surroundings , don't go to areas with a poor reputation at night , and stay observant so I can AVOID confrontations.

If provoked I will simply leave ( assuming it's safe to do so )

I long ago decided I would ONLY draw my weapon to stop an actual physical attack on myself, family, or another "innocent".

But NEVER to threaten or WARN a " badguy"

If I think the situation can result in immediate grievous physical Injury to the people mentioned - I WILL FIRE.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Since I first started carrying I have thought long and hard about this.

I always stay aware of my surroundings , don't go to areas with a poor reputation at night , and stay observant so I can AVOID confrontations.

If provoked I will simply leave ( assuming it's safe to do so )

I long ago decided I would ONLY draw my weapon to stop an actual physical attack on myself, family, or another "innocent".

But NEVER to threaten or WARN a " badguy"

If I think the situation can result in immediate grievous physical Injury to the people mentioned - I WILL FIRE.

Good reminder for all.

That's why I carry a totally blinding combat light as well. Unless impossible, that's what I plan to try first, easy to aim - flash on strobe and run - if the guy is still going to try something, I have space now + time to draw and aim with some care and the light still there if I want to use it again; I have the upper hand. But hopefully I'm gone by the time he can see OK again. (I tried it on myself - two minutes to see well again after I flashed myself on strobe. It's 800 lumens).

Make sure you tell 911 what you are wearing and a brief description of yourself so you are not mistaken for a perp.

Quote Originally Posted by FryDay View Post
    Down in the scenarios forum, I see a lot of posters telling people that had to draw on someone to report it to the police. While I agree that it is probably a good idea, I am unclear as to what I should say to them on the phone if I am ever in this situation. I'm sure saying, "I just pulled a gun on someone..." isn't the best way to report it. What would you say? Also, who would you call? The local police station or 911?
    You never know what happens after what happens happens. Way too many retards out there now that want to hang you even when you're in the right and especially when they're wrong! Reporting to police don't always work out for the best either...turns out a lot of them aint up to par since budget cuts go nationwide. Many LEO I wouldn't trust just in the past year alone. World is getting more dangerous every day. You got to watch out for yourself. Plain and simple.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I carry a copy of this statement, borrowed from the book 'Minnesota Permit to Carry a Firearm Fundamentals' by Michael Martin, in my wallet:

911 Call if You'be Exposed Your Firearm to Resist an Offense

A. My name is _________ & I need to report (an attack / a possible attack) at (address, intersection, etc.).

B. The individual (give a brief description of the attacker) & (ran off / drove off, etc.).

C. I do have a permit to carry a firearm & did expose my firearm to the attacker, but I did not use it.

D. I've called my attorney & (he or she) will contact you to schedule time to make a statement. Here is my number.

E. Be prepared to answer any questions related to the alleged attacker or your contact information, but do NOT answer any questions about your actions. Be prepared to hang up if the questioning gets persistent.

While I think that actually calling my attorney after only exposing my gun might be a bit of overkill, I understand that my making a statement in what would likely be an excited state while being recorded could come back to bite me in the backside.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

RKM
    In my opinion, depending on the circumstances, there may be instances where calling the police will further complicate things and you'll run the risk of being arrested for brandishing if your state has such a law or anything of that nature. Where did it happen? Were there witness's? What is your way out of the situation? A car? On foot? While I agree, calling the police in most cases can possibly benefit you, you're sometimes better off not reporting it. Of all the cases where a legal firearm was "brandished" in self defense, the majority of them are not reported.

My CHL instructors said to always call it in to the police, even if anonymously, and then if you need you can let them know your identity later on, that you made the call at that date and time. I think I'd rather call the police directly rather than 911 if there wasn't an emergency (didn't fire).

Not calling the police can get you in a LOT of trouble. The BG may call first to report you for brandishing - a method to protect himself from YOU calling. If he's the only one who called you're in hot water. The event also could be observed by a bystander who you were unaware of. - again if that's the only report again you are in trouble. These have already been pointed out on the thread.

And there's this one in addition to the above:

It isn't ethical in my view to let some BG who threatened your life to the point you had to draw just run off with impunity to hit others. I mean, c'mon, that's placing other people in danger. Can the cops catch him? I don't know but I know they won't if they don't even know the guy's walking around.

If I later found he killed someone and I hadn't reported anything...... Well, I wouldn't want that on my conscience, no thanks. You can protect others just by making your own report.

We're supposed to be upstanding citizens. Let's not take the low road. Be an example for others.

Administrator
    Good grief, some of you sound like school girls, she who tattles first will win the fight. Yes, it is a good idea to report such incidents, but not to protect your self from a cross complaint- thats a long after thought IMO and really a non issue. I'd be more concerned with what a bystander might have seen and reported.
    Maybe, just maybe you can prevent another incident happening to someone else, or even get a bad guy taken off the street or at least scared out of the area.
    walleye likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like what you said Sixto, especially coming from an LEO. If you were justified it would be my sincerest hope that you would not be in any trouble.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links