Calling the cops after drawing your firearm.

This is a discussion on Calling the cops after drawing your firearm. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Down in the scenarios forum, I see a lot of posters telling people that had to draw on someone to report it to the police. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Calling the cops after drawing your firearm.

Calling the cops after drawing your firearm.

Down in the scenarios forum, I see a lot of posters telling people that had to draw on someone to report it to the police. While I agree that it is probably a good idea, I am unclear as to what I should say to them on the phone if I am ever in this situation. I'm sure saying, "I just pulled a gun on someone..." isn't the best way to report it. What would you say? Also, who would you call? The local police station or 911?

2. Remove Ads

I would call and report the reason I pulled it, not that fact that I did it.
    I would report an attempted robbery, attack or whatever first.

Michael
    Eagleks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    +1
    first report the attempted robbery, then report that you drew your weapon in self defense, then proceed to tell them where BG is or which direction he ran to clean his pants!

I think calling 911 is the way to go, correct me if i'm wrong...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    an important call to make: who calls 1st is generally perceived by the police as being the aggrieved party.

i have always started my 911 call with my name and that "there were NO shots fired but i was forced to employ my firearm in defense of my life"
    and than follow their prompts--find time to take pictures; the sooner the better. and include bystanders and them if possible. certainly describe them and their clothing...and what direction the left in.

remember--the police will ask questions and answer honestly and in short sentences
    DO NOT ELABORATE

expect the police to want to talk in person, decline to press charges and decline to meet with them.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Tell them what the BG did, like mlr1m said, also give them the description of the perp, where they headed off too, what kind of car, etc, then tell them that you drew your weapon during the incident which caused the BG to flee. Tell them you will sign a statement with the perps description offense committed ect if they need you to.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

All excellent responses.

First and foremost, you had better be 100% sure that the deploying of your weapon was indeed justified, as in all the requirements under your state and/or local laws were met (or the laws in the state or locality you are presently in);
    You and/or yours were in jeopardy of serious bodily injury or death
    The aggressor had the means to do the above (disparity of force, armed with a weapon...)
    The aggressor had the ability to do the above (in close enough proximity to you and/or yours with no physical barricades to prevent it).
    If your state requires a duty to retreat, you better have made every reasonable attempt to do so.

Furthermore, you better not have been escalating it to that point, or the one who started it, I.E road rage, mouthing off, physical gestures...

As claude clay stated...DO NOT ELABORATE when talking to the LEOs, especially about what you may or may not have been doing.

Even though the carry was used to prevent a crime, and no shots were fired, you should have been literally milliseconds from dropping the hammer.

If you drew your weapon with the intent to scare off the BG, you will be in the wrong - caveat - Some states do allow "brandishing" to prevent a crime. Again, know your state and local laws on use of force and deadly weapons.

Keep in mind that when the first responders start talking to any available witnesses, all they may have seen is you pointing a gun at an otherwise unarmed individual from across the street/parking lot, etc. Loud vocal commands like BACK OFF, STOP, DROP THE WEAPON (if applicable), will be a huge benefit to you.
    WD54241, 9MMare and OhioCatter like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Not me. Out here in the sticks where I live, if I have to pull my gun I'm not taking my chances with the cops.

For one, if it werent justified, I wouldnt have pulled it.

Two, the badguy that forced me to do it sure isnt going to call the cops.

Three, if anything, I'll be calling 911 for the ambulance. If 911 wants to call the cops so be it.

And last but not least, cops can be a pain in the butt. Some of the young ones I've met that just graduated have me worried for the future of this country. Some of them appear to be dumber than a box of rocks.

If I can pull, live through it, put it back where it came from and continue on like nothing happened, thats the way it will be.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Not me. Out here in the sticks where I live, if I have to pull my gun I'm not taking my chances with the cops.

Three, if anything, I'll be calling 911 for the ambulance. If 911 wants to call the cops so be it.

And last but not least, cops can be a pain in the butt. Some of the young ones I've met that just graduated have me worried for the future of this country. Some of them appear to be dumber than a box of rocks.
    If I can pull, live through it, put it back where it came from and continue on like nothing happened, thats the way it will be.
    How can that be? They have cellphones and computers in their vehicles.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Probably depends on what state you're in and what officer you get, but when I had to do it, it wasn't a big deal. My sister called first and said "my brother is holding two guys at gunpoint". I took the phone and explained that we had 2 guys, one that broke into her house (we were outside), and one standing watch, and I had them at gunpoint and would be happy to continue to do so until an officer arrived.

The 2 guys didn't even know we were there until I had the gun on them, never acted hostile toward us. It was just defense of property.

The cops arrived, took my statement, arrested the guys, left me in possession of my gun the whole time, and handled everything professionally.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The 1st person who calls 911 is the victim. So make sure your the 1st caller.

Then tell them what happened, and what went on.....

Bad guy calls 911.....

911 how may I help you.....

Yea, I just had a guy pull a gun on me at the gas station. I managed to get away, I'm just down the block waiting on you......

Good guy calls 911 1st.

911 how may I help you.....

I just had a guy demand money from me the gas station. I am a CCW and I pulled my weapon to defend myself, I did not have to fire as he ran off, but I wanted to report it. I'm at 1234 South Side, can you send a officer out please?

The 2 stories are just about the same. The 1st one taken will have the victim status, as 911 figures the good guy would report it.

AND I have seen bad guys call 911 to get the good guy in trouble. It happened to a friend here in Memphis. Not dealing with a gun, but he used to to set up a lawsuit on a road rage incident.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Michael
    Absolutely! Don't start out with a statement that sounds like you're illegal!

Describe the event. When they get there describe it again and at some point mention that the threat was so great you had to draw. DON'T DRAW unless in preparation to shoot - which means your life was in immediate danger.

If you don't tell them and some one saw this through a window and reports it then you are in trouble. Best not to conceal Anything. Bad habit to get into.

Definitely call 911 and report the incident. I would focus upon the crime prior to explaining WHY the dirtbag then took off.

"My wife and I were in a WallyWorld parking lot...these two guys in black hoodies...one had a knife...demanded money...my wife was extremely scared...I did pull out my firearm and the criminals turned and ran away...their description is as follows...they ran towards..."

OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not everyone who calls 911 first is innocent. In some of the larger cities the crooks call 911 to use the presumption of innocence to their advantage. Some people are just that dirty and underhanded that they try to work the system at all times.

That being said. Make the call as soon as you can. Try to be the first caller, because the presumption of innocence is given to the first caller. Whether that be right or wrong.

How you make your statements, well, I can't say it any better than how anyone else has. Be honest, be brief, and be polite no matter how rude the LEO(s) may be.

VIP Member

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    Absolutely! Don't start out with a statement that sounds like you're illegal!

Describe the event. When they get there describe it again and at some point mention that the threat was so great you had to draw. DON'T DRAW unless in preparation to shoot - which means your life was in immediate danger.

If you don't tell them and some one saw this through a window and reports it then you are in trouble. Best not to conceal Anything. Bad habit to get into.

^^^^I am in this camp here^^^^^^^^^^

With my luck, this is how MY call to 9-11 would probably sound like,,,,,,,,,

"Hello, 9-11, two guys with hoods on carjacked me at the gas station here at _______ ,________,, My wife and kids were in the vehicle, and as I turned to see what was happening, I drew my firearm, but they drove away before I could react.

Its a 2005 maroon Chevy ________ Lic. Plate # ________, It all happened so fas,,,,,Hey wait a minute, I think I see my truck turning back into the lot,. Yes it my vehicle, wait the BG's bailed out, yes my family is here and they appear to be fine, but oh look, there is a note attached to a big bag of money."

9-11, "what does the note say sir"?

Me, " it says, sorry but these people are nuts, please accept this small cash donation of $100,000 and our apologies for bringing your family and truck back".
    bigdog44 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post

I wouldn't bet on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links