Harless Discipline Decision Due By Mid January

This is a discussion on Harless Discipline Decision Due By Mid January within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The hearing was held today. Harless discipline decision due by mid January - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com The safety director has until Jan. 16 to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Harless Discipline Decision Due By Mid January

VIP Member

Harless Discipline Decision Due By Mid January

The hearing was held today.

Harless discipline decision due by mid January - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com

The safety director has until Jan. 16 to issue a disciplinary ruling in the case of Patrolman Daniel Harless. Harless is accused of violating Police Department rules in a controversial traffic stop involving a man with a permit to carry a concealed handgun. “I’ve taken the information presented at the hearing under advisement, and I will issue a ruling in the near future,” Safety Director Thomas Ream said Thursday afternoon. Harless could be suspended or fired.

Disciplinary rulings typically are made within 10 working days of the hearing, Ream said. The extension was agreed to “because of the complexity of the case and the seriousness of the case, (and so) that I have ample time to review everything properly,” he said. At the hearing, “information was presented by the police administration, city law department and also from the (Fraternal Order of Police),” Ream said. The safety director declined further comment.

The Police Department’s internal affairs division investigated three traffic stops involving Harless. He is accused of violating department rules in each case. The highest profile stop occurred on June 8, during which video footage from a police car camera shows Harless berating and threatening a man pulled over around 1:30 a.m. on Newton Avenue NW. Bill Adams, president of the Canton Police Patrolmen’s Association, attended the hearing. Harless, who did not attend, was represented by attorney Michael W. Piotrowski.

Harless has been on paid medical leave. After running out of his own sick time, some other officers have been donating their sick days to Harless, which is permitted under the union contract.

2. Remove Ads

I don't see how they can afford to keep him! If they do, and something happens in the future, they will be sued into oblivion.
    TN_Mike, dukalmighty and Mr B like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I don't see how they can afford to keep him! If they do, and something happens in the future, they will be sued into oblivion.
    I think it's more a matter of when it happens again, rather than if. The man appears to be a loose cannon, with definite anger management issues.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I agree with Archer51. He will do something as stupid or even worse if they allow this idiot to remain in a position of authority. it is woefully apparent that he is not mentally fit to be a police officer.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member
    I find it just unbelievable that his fellow officers would continue to support him after seeing the video. Does not speak well of them or the whole force. After seeing the video the chief should have fired him 10 minutes later, and the DA should have immediately filed charges and issued a warrant for his arrest.

Harless seems to suffer from the "badge and gun" syndrome. I'd relieve him of both and let him revert to Ordinary Citizen status.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If He is a combat Vet suffering from PTSD it is apparent that being an LEO is not a job he should be doing,the fact that he goes nuts everytime he hears the word gun and starts threatening people with death,if it were a civilian they would be relieved of any firearms and more than likely be charged with terroristic threat.I will stand on the side of LEO's in 99% of the time,but in this case he was way out of line
    Beans, TN_Mike and 357and40 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I think it's more a matter of when it happens again, rather than if. The man appears to be a loose cannon, with definite anger management issues.
    Agreed. He is a ticking time bomb that is waiting to go off.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I hope he gets fired. A cop like him makes every other cop look bad regardless of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    I hope he gets fired. A cop like him makes every other cop look bad regardless of the situation.
    +1. This "gentleman" is tarnishing the reputation of all law enforcement officers. If they're smart they will cut him loose.

What I can't understand is why they donate their sick days to this nutcase. What they should do is get him on Prozac and can him in the same order
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Just say no to steroids.

You might be right Tony, but there are plenty of idiots that can't control themselves even thou they don't use steroids. I think this one (who unfortunately happens to be a police office for the moment) is just a total nut case.

Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    What I can't understand is why they donate their sick days to this nutcase. What they should do is get him on Prozac and can him in the same order
    If it is like our donation program they don't chose who it goes too. A committee decides and bases it upon application and service years. Sometimes its automatic when applied for at least for a minimal period of time and based upon how much leave is available in the pool. But, if it is similar, it is a pool that is donated too... not an individual. I had often wished I could have some choice in the decision when I donated leave. But I didn't ever know. In this case the article implies differently but I wonder if its just poetic license by the writer...

Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    Its the brotherhood. They will continue to support/protect and provide cover until he is released from his job. These guys/gals depend on one another to keep safe or alive in the field. I understand the mentality. Its unconditional love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links