Really kind of bummed!

Really kind of bummed!

This is a discussion on Really kind of bummed! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always been partial to 1911's. I have owned several over the years and shoot them better then any guns I have owned. My ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Really kind of bummed!

Really kind of bummed!

I have always been partial to 1911's. I have owned several over the years and shoot them better then any guns I have owned. My last one was a Kimber Ultra Carry...that I sold to buy my wife a Mac Book last year. Anyhow after over a year I got the wants...and some cash and picked up a Sig Scorpion Carry. I love how the gun looks,feels and shoots. However after just over a month of daily carry I wore my Glock 19 today....What I found was the Glock is so much more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal during my work day. I am so bummed!! I really want the Sig 1911 to be my daily carry gun,but am not sure it will be. I carry the Sig in a Remora holster (which I do like), and the Glock in a High Noon PS. I don't know if I should try a High Noon for my Sig, or go back to the glock all the time?

If you can afford it, I'd get the better holster for the 1911 and give it a try. In my experience, a quality holster makes a world of difference in the way it feels to carry a gun.
    archer51 and Eagleks like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Try a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for your 1911, it's my favorite holster for my Colt Combat Elite. Also with the extra weight of the all steel 1911 make sure you are using a stable belt. While your Sig is going to be heavier than your polymer Glock, it is slimmer and so shouldn't be hard to conceal.

I've carried several sized Kimbers in Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWBs. Very comfortable with a stout gun belt and after a short break-in period. The M1911's thinness and exceptional trigger make it a great carry pistol.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Administrator
    I'd try a better holster, like the High Noon you already have for the Glock. High Noon has a very forgiving return policy if it doesn't work out for you.
    mkh likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Keep the Glock in the High Noon...once you go Glock it's hard to like anything else.
    I know, I know...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just got the High Noon "Mr. Softy" for my Glock 23, and have switched to Appendix IWB. For $30 + shipping, it was worth a shot. There is a sweet spot in the crease of my leg that I have to find in order to make sitting and bending over comfortable, but the longer I wear it the easier it seems to find it's way into that spot.

Given the conceal-ability of a larger gun in this position, I can't see myself going back to the 4:30 position w/ it's printing issues.

A 1911 and a Versa Max are just about the finest mating of iron and leather there is or ever was. Get one. You will leave the Glock at home.

VIP Member
    I own Brommeland Max-Con Vs for both my Ultra Carry and my Glock 19. I carried the Kimber for about a year before switching to the Glock. The Glock is a much more comfortable carry for me, and is easier to draw and fire. Lighter, higher capacity, and no dove-tail or external safety to deal with. What is not to like?

VIP Member
    As others have suggested, get a good quality belt holster. Something that is going to support the weight of the gun.

It still amazes me how people will spend $1000.+ on a gun, then expect a $30. holster with no means of support, other than friction, to hold it securely in place.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good belt, good holster, no problem carrying a 1911 all steel gun. Have a Kimber in Galco leather on my side as I type this. Don't care for "tupperware". Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have and wear a nice gun belt..I wasn't convinced that the holster is the problem. It works as advertised and stays in place well and the lack of clip does help hide the holster itself well. But I do have a feeling it would work much better with a smaller lighter pistol. I will try a nicer holster but I need something with a clip or clips instead of loops as I ofter have to take the gun and holster off and on and lock it in my desk at work. A golf shirt is just not enough to coceal it from my coworkers. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybone View Post
    I have always been partial to 1911's. I have owned several over the years and shoot them better then any guns I have owned. My last one was a Kimber Ultra Carry...that I sold to buy my wife a Mac Book last year. Anyhow after over a year I got the wants...and some cash and picked up a Sig Scorpion Carry. I love how the gun looks,feels and shoots. However after just over a month of daily carry I wore my Glock 19 today....What I found was the Glock is so much more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal during my work day. I am so bummed!! I really want the Sig 1911 to be my daily carry gun,but am not sure it will be. I carry the Sig in a Remora holster (which I do like), and the Glock in a High Noon PS. I don't know if I should try a High Noon for my Sig, or go back to the glock all the time?
    Know how you feel, I wanted a WWI Repro Colt 1911 to be my regular CCW but while fine at the range with it my instinct was I'd do better with something point and shoot, 9mm in an emergency. Now I CCW mainly a full-size Beretta 92FS and feel the same way as I did about it as the Colt. (I also carry a Colt Detective some times when dress or occasion call for a smaller gun)

Always go with what's the most comfortable to shoot. The BG won't care about the style: 1911 or Glock or Beretta. What will get his attention is how you shoot it.
    Last edited by walleye; December 17th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

I carry a SS Colt commander xse in a leather OWB holster all day everyday,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links