I CC for the first time today - Page 2

I CC for the first time today

This is a discussion on I CC for the first time today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, Thanks for the support guys. I have loved firearms for a long time and I practice with them when I can. My wife, when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I CC for the first time today

Hey, Thanks for the support guys. I have loved firearms for a long time and I practice with them when I can. My wife, when we started dating didnt like guns but said nothing negative about me owning one. Well I bought her a Taurus .38 snubby a month ago as she felt it was time to learn to use also. We sat at the table for awhile going over the basics of gun safety and the mechanics of her new gun. I let her clean it, dry fire it a few times in SA/and DA. I let her load it and unload it. Then I took her to the range and I have to say for the first time shooting she did very well. Never once did I feel uncomfortable while she stood at the line. Maybe one day she will carry. Only time will tell and I will not be pressuring her about it. I think she has came along way as it is

VIP Member

Thumbs up

As others have said, welcome to the lifestyle.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinston View Post
    I didnt chamber it as I want to ease into that. I just need to warm up to one in the pipe on a gun that has no physical safety. I know I know it will not fire unless tigger pulled but bear with a noob on this.
    I went through the same dilemma. I went weeks carrying without one in the chamber until I saw a video someone posted in this forum of someone in a store trying to defend himself against armed robbers and his pistol was not ready to fire. Under the incredible amount of stress he was in, he could NOT cycle that gun. I can't remember the conclusion, I believe he survived even though was shot several times. It did not take long to get used to it after I started carrying it ready. Now without one in the chamber I don't consider myself armed. At home if you hear a noice you most likely will have time to cycle, but out on the streets you won't.

VIP Member
    The more you carry, the more comfortable you'll get doing it.

As to your choice of holsters. I'm leery of any holster that supposedly fits many guns. Your belt and holster are your 2 most important links in carrying. They support your gun, don't scrimp on them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Congrats and it sounds like you are off to a good start.

If I am not carrying when I go out the door, then I feel undressed. Part of the wardrobe now.

Welcome to the CCW/CH/CCP/CWP etc world!

Couple of suggestions -
    'One size fits all' holsters are not the best, Especially if you dont have a retention strap.
    CARRY IT!! it's absolutely no good to you at home.
    Carrying chambered will come.
    Practice drawing and reholstering. Reholstering is when most ND's happen.
    Get training. Even the basics. Quite a few places that offer CCW also offer further 'follow up' courses.

Good luck! The more there are o fus with permits that actually USE them, the better.

Congratulations! Time will ease your concerns about printing and likely about carrying a round chambered as well. If you ever want to try an IWB holster, I have found the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe to be absolutely excellent and very comfortable

Hi Jwinston, and welcome!

Good luck and I agree...keep training to become more comfortable and competant.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Invest in a great holster there are many members here on the site and invest in a great belt. Well Well worth the money.

No reason to worry about one in the chamber. I am sitting here carrying a Glock 26 in a smart carry, with one in the chambe,r pointed between my legs.

I highly recommend the crossbreed super tuck. It is very comfortable and custom made for your gun. Because of the design and construction of the holster, I am much more comfortable reholstering my firearms (particularly with a round in the chamber). This holster may be on the more expensive but I can tell you from experience, you get what you pay for with this investment.

Think of the money you spend on a good holster AND BELT as a down payment against being "that guy" in the next negligent discharge/accidental death news article.

It took me 3 days to carry with one in the chamber.. Now my P90 .45 has one in the chamber and the safety off. I practiced drawing that thing hundreds of times in the backyard (live in country) and it never went off. When I take it out at night I just make sure my finger is off the trigger. In 2 weeks you will be ready to go in a moments notice if need be! Never stop training though, that draw is very important!

Like someone said take classes! I have taken a couple of defensive courses and have enjoyed every second of it! Lots of the training was done with airsoft pistols. You will learn more in that 1 day of class than you ever will reading. We used an old farm house that nobody lived in for years for some of our training and it was very very helpful. There was an old bed in there and an airsoft in the nightstand, you hear someone kick the door open and the training would begin!

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Concrats! Glad your out there & armed.

Holsters have a way of attracting other holsters. For every carry gun I have I bet I have three or four holsters & always on the lookout for another!

Be sure to spend the money for a quality holster and belt.
    The best advice given so far is to take a 2 - 4 day SD firearms course. This will go a long way into what to do and how to practice it.
    Soon your firearm will become just like your watch, wallet, and phone...just part of the day.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links