I CC for the first time today

This is a discussion on I CC for the first time today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been a gun owner since I was 21(now 34). I never carried a firearm as I didnt feel the need to. Well now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I CC for the first time today

I CC for the first time today

I have been a gun owner since I was 21(now 34). I never carried a firearm as I didnt feel the need to. Well now Im a family man and seeing how things are in the country I felt it was time to get a permit. I have had it for 2 weeks now and decided today is when I would start. I told the wife my intentions while we got ready for dinner and a trip to the mall. I grabbed my SW990L and placed it in a holster kings OWB holster. I didnt chamber it as I want to ease into that. While my shirt was untucked I didnt print too bad but, as I kept it at around the 2 o'clock position while standing and would go to 3 while driving. No problems while out to dinner and none while at the mall. I have tried IWB but I just cant get comfortable as do fill out my pants lol. I have no illusions of being the hero that carries a gun. I hope to never even feel the need to draw it. I just need to warm up to one in the pipe on a gun that has no physical safety. I know I know it will not fire unless tigger pulled but bear with a noob on this. For my OWB carry will the holster king holster be up to standards and safe to carry chambered? It seems sturdy, holds the gun in place well, and doesnt ride up when I sit down. It will always be carried under shirt and provides protection of the tigger. Please feel free to "school" me if needed.

2. Remove Ads

You're off to a good start. Now it's time to invest in some professional training. You're on the verge of getting comfortable with carrying a deadly weapon in a 'ready to use' condition, but you're not quite there yet. Yes, you may have to spend a few hundred dollars, but in the grand scheme of things it will be worth it.

In the meantime, find a copy of Massad Ayoob's classic tome "In the Gravest Extreme." The sections on equipment may be dated, but the whole book is geared toward the reader adopting the proper mindset about when the use of deadly force is called for.
    rdpG19 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, and to "the life".

Just make sure any holster you use completely covers the trigger guard. You will probably come to carrying a chambered round, like the vast majority of us do.

Kind of like driving. Takes some getting used to. Whatever you do, DON'T QUIT CARRYING! You will feel easier soon enough. So long as you have it hidden, you are fine. Folks don't go about their daily business trying to make us.

The current holster that Im using now completely covers the trigger guard and is pretty sturdy, as I mean I dont feel that in anyway can it soften up and get into the guard. its a simple holster but I really like it. Its made by Holster Kings and is universal fit. My SW990L is a .45 and it fits snug and the gun doesnt try to ride up out of it while sitting. I have no plans to OC with this holster as it has no retention system or strap on it. The .45 is a little big to carry on me with out some sort of printing. I may move to a LC9 or Bersa consealed 9. But I really love my 45. Never had a problem with it, best gun I have ever owned and I would trust my life on it to fire when I need it(when I can get comfortable with one chambered).

VIP Member
    So, did you think everyone was staring at you?

No I didnt feel anyone was staring at me. Even while eating dinner we sat about 15ft away from 3 local Leo's. I didnt really feel nervous about anything. I was mindful my firearm was there but not worried

CONGRATS jwinston...it gets easier...just keep on keeping on

Before you know it, it'll be like wearing your shoes!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congrats.....and realize...that over the years most of us have carried many legal weapons in IWB, OWB, shoulder holsters etc and if we've done it right.... nobody noticed. But... we were prepared in the event we needed it.

I've carried for the past 25+ years (with time off here and there). NEVER has anybody 'pointed it out' and luckily I've never had to use my CC .

Glad you broke cherry.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Congrats!

Continue to be safe,
    DCG

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Take Smitty's advice as soon as you can. As humans, we tend to take on good and bad habits rather quickly. So it would be encumbent upon you to start out with good habits rather than needing to break/undo bad ones, and then start all over again with good ones. Congrats on accepting the responsibility and commitment to defend yourself and your family.

You're in good company on this forum.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Keep your holster in good condition, as it gets worn watch out that part doesn't begin to flap over where it could catch the trigger when holstered, and you want the gun to stay 'secure' in the holster. If the gun doesn't stay secure really well in the holster, it can work it's way up or even out. I had one, the gun literally fell out of the holster into the seat without me realizing it when driving.... I literally threw the holster away as soon as I got home.

Most ND's are when holstering or unloading. When holstering I always keep my finger extended across the outside of the trigger guard as I holster it so it will not catch on anything at all, even something I failed to notice or see (in the car, etc) But I carry IWB most of the time so a bit different than OWB. I've always carried condition 1, and in numerous years never had an ND, and none of them except 1 gun had a manual safety, and I rarely carried it (too big).

Just never get over-comfortable about anything.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

hey jwinston, congrats. I too just got my permit and carried for the 1st time today. In fact, I haven't even gotten my carry gun yet (Glock 26, I will be getting for xmas). I was able to carry my Glock 22 in a Remora iwb, no problem. When I got into work, there were a couple security guards waiting outside the business next door, and neither of them noticed, neither did anyone at work.

I was a little bit nervous about being made, but settled down by the end of the day. All in all I felt really good about it, it's been a goal for a while, and I'm glad I took the steps to get trained and get the permit. Unfortunately my day tomorrow is going to be spent at a school/church, so can't carry there. After that, I plan on carrying all day everyday.

Usually one size fits many holsters don't have as good a retention as holsters that are formed to fit a specific gun,I carry a 1911 chambered with thumb safety engaged in a leather OWB holster,If I could OC I would have no problem using the same holster even tho it doesn't have any external retention strap since you can't jerk my gun out of the holster from the side or rear without drawing forward and up,which is hard to do when your catching a hard elbow in the face
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links