Heading for GA/TN for xmas (Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga)

This is a discussion on Heading for GA/TN for xmas (Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are all headed to northern GA for Christmas with my family. We are probably going to spend a day in the Lookout Mountain, Rock ...

Thread: Heading for GA/TN for xmas (Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga)

Heading for GA/TN for xmas (Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga)

We are all headed to northern GA for Christmas with my family. We are probably going to spend a day in the Lookout Mountain, Rock City area. This will probably be into the TN part. We might also spend part of the day in Chattanooga.

We don't plan on visiting the military sites so that covers that part of the issue.

I have read the GA laws on carry and it seems that with my FL resident concealed carry license I should be fine at any and all state park and even city and county parks but just wanted to confirm.

Also, are there any signs for Rock City Park? TN's gun laws are a bit more strict than GA's and signs do carry the weight of the law so I'm doing research early just in case.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I haven't been to Rock City in a couple of years but the last time I was there it was not posted. You will see many restaurants in the downtown area that are posted though. There was a gang shoot out a while back in Coolidge Park....where the Delta Queen is docked....and the solution was for almost every place in the area to post. Many have removed the sign after pressure from locals but be aware that in the tourist areas, you will most likely find somewhere that you are not supposed to carry. I personally never go without my sidearm and have never had an issue....I just keep it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdridley View Post
    I haven't been to Rock City in a couple of years but the last time I was there it was not posted. You will see many restaurants in the downtown area that are posted though. There was a gang shoot out a while back in Coolidge Park....where the Delta Queen is docked....and the solution was for almost every place in the area to post. Many have removed the sign after pressure from locals but be aware that in the tourist areas, you will most likely find somewhere that you are not supposed to carry. I personally never go without my sidearm and have never had an issue....I just keep it covered.
    Thanks. What a mess. Preemption is so useful here in FL. Barely anything to worry about. TN has to fix this ASAP :)

And I wonder if it can be a defense in court if you hadn't seen the sign. Though I assume by now the prosecutors and courts have determined that it is the responsibility of the person carrying a firearm to be aware of signs, etc. just as a person driving should look for traffic signs. Still, what if you really didn't see one? "Oh well"?

I used to live in Chattanooga.
    Rock City is more touristy trended and you should feel safer up there.
    Downtown Chattanooga is definitely another story.
    Bottom line is I carry and I will protect myself and my family.
    I would be willing to go in front of a jury of my peers if it meant saving our lives.
    Chattanooga is a great place to visit with all the Civil War historical sites.
    Use the same common sense that you use at your home and I'm betting you all will have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj View Post
    I used to live in Chattanooga.
    Rock City is more touristy trended and you should feel safer up there.
    Downtown Chattanooga is definitely another story.
    Bottom line is I carry and I will protect myself and my family.
    I would be willing to go in front of a jury of my peers if it meant saving our lives.
    Chattanooga is a great place to visit with all the Civil War historical sites.
    Use the same common sense that you use at your home and I'm betting you all will have a great time!
    Thanks!

Links