I think preemption is on the top 3 carry issues

This is a discussion on I think preemption is on the top 3 carry issues within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like we're headed out of town for a few days, for Christmas, and will be in GA and TN. GA is more or less ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By davidj
  • 1 Post By jem102

Thread: I think preemption is on the top 3 carry issues

Looks like we're headed out of town for a few days, for Christmas, and will be in GA and TN. GA is more or less very FL compatible. TN, however, doesn't have preemption so one has to be on thin ice and very careful on where firearms are banned by public and private establishments. So I think state-level preemption is probably the most burdensome legal issue regarding carry, at least on the carry side (not counting licensing requirements).

Another one that I think is important, and also present in TN, is that signs that prohibit firearms have the weight of the law. It's not just trespassing but you can be convicted of something much worse, just as if you had carried in any other prohibited location (like a school). Again, this might make me much less likely to carry in such a state.

I think my third one would be to be able to carry at restaurants that serve alcohol. That's not a problem in FL, though FL has a silly restriction that it can't be at the bar area of a restaurant.

Comments?

I live in TN and CCW. My rule of thumb is to try and stay away from areas that trouble would be more apt to rear itself. In areas where people are partaking of the spirits it only takes one idiot to get you involved in a situation that might cost you everything for the rest of your life. I would outsmart that and only go where folks maintain all their mental facilities. I CCW everywhere I go and I will defend myself and my family! Have a great time!
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj View Post
    I live in TN and CCW. My rule of thumb is to try and stay away from areas that trouble would be more apt to rear itself. In areas where people are partaking of the spirits it only takes one idiot to get you involved in a situation that might cost you everything for the rest of your life. I would outsmart that and only go where folks maintain all their mental facilities. I CCW everywhere I go and I will defend myself and my family! Have a great time!
    Right, good advice of course. My point was about the law and what can get you in trouble with the system not so much other folks.

"vanguardist

Looks like we're headed out of town for a few days, for Christmas, and will be in GA and TN. GA is more or less very FL compatible. TN, however, doesn't have preemption so one has to be on thin ice and very careful on where firearms are banned by public and private establishments. So I think state-level preemption is probably the most burdensome legal issue regarding carry, at least on the carry side (not counting licensing requirements).

Another one that I think is important, and also present in TN, is that signs that prohibit firearms have the weight of the law. It's not just trespassing but you can be convicted of something much worse, just as if you had carried in any other prohibited location (like a school). Again, this might make me much less likely to carry in such a state.

I think my third one would be to be able to carry at restaurants that serve alcohol. That's not a problem in FL, though FL has a silly restriction that it can't be at the bar area of a restaurant.

Comments?"

We are working on these issues but remember TN was not "shall issue" until 1998 so we have come a huge distance and are better than many states especially in the area of reciprocity. You can carry in a place that sells alcohol by the drink under 3 conditions; it's not posted by the management, you are licensed and you do not consume any alcohol.

So all in all we have it pretty good here. Please don't come to TN and get arrested for violating our laws and giving the anti's a platform. It sounds to me as if your best decision would be to not carry your weapon in our fine state as you don't seem able/willing to sort it out (which is your responsibility) and I would hate to see your holiday tainted by an arrest and the loss of your weapon.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I carried in TN last July, was there for about a week, no problems whatsoever!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Uh, Tennessee does have preemption. Any post 1986 local law is null and void. Local governments can regulate firearms in two ways. Cites can regulate discharge of firearms within city limits and local governments can regulate carry in parks.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

As a Tn resident formerly from NJ...I LOVE it here. Our gun laws are far better than most.

Links