Tennessee - Confused about State Park Carry (Norris Dam)

This is a discussion on Tennessee - Confused about State Park Carry (Norris Dam) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I understand that State Park carry is now legal in Tennessee with a permit. However, I went to Norris Dam State Park today (not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee - Confused about State Park Carry (Norris Dam)

Okay, I understand that State Park carry is now legal in Tennessee with a permit. However, I went to Norris Dam State Park today (not carrying) and saw that the "Rules" signs say, basically, "No Fireworks or Firearms."

I read somewhere that this doesn't apply to permit holders, but how can I be sure? I want to fully comply with the law but this one is confusing.

Anyone know where I can get a definitive answer on this?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Norris Dam is actualy TVA and they can post, it is federal US Army Corps of Engineers owned and leased by TVA off limits to my understanding.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    Norris Dam is actualy TVA and they can post, it is federal US Army Corps of Engineers owned and leased by TVA off limits to my understanding.
    I see. I didn't carry but I wanted to scope it out for future visits.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Tennessee state parks are posted with the gun buster and "no firearms allowed." Fortunately, those signs to not apply to permit holders in parks in Tennessee.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I go to Fall Creek Falls quite often. I carry each time.

When the law was changed to allow carry in state parks an exemption for changing the existing signage was given to the park system due to their budget shortfalls. I quess this was the compromise reached to get them to not fight carry with an HCP. Even more confusing is allowing local parks to ban carry but not specifically requiring the same posting as a business. So...you could come here to visit and not know whether or not carry is allowed in my local parks and I won't know about yours. Something for all of us to work on. TVA and Army Corp land is a whole different ball game--under federal rules so no carry allowed just like the PO.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Tennessee state parks are posted with the gun buster and "no firearms allowed." Fortunately, those signs to not apply to permit holders in parks in Tennessee.
    But that is only for state level parks, right? Not for city or county parks IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    When the law was changed to allow carry in state parks an exemption for changing the existing signage was given to the park system due to their budget shortfalls. I quess this was the compromise reached to get them to not fight carry with an HCP. Even more confusing is allowing local parks to ban carry but not specifically requiring the same posting as a business. So...you could come here to visit and not know whether or not carry is allowed in my local parks and I won't know about yours. Something for all of us to work on. TVA and Army Corp land is a whole different ball game--under federal rules so no carry allowed just like the PO.
    A mess. TN needs full preemption.

Quote Originally Posted by vanguardist View Post
    But that is only for state level parks, right? Not for city or county parks IIRC.
    Correct.

A mess. TN needs full preemption.
    No kidding many state parks intertwine with TVA controlled areas by the Dams and reservoirs one can get in a sh** ton of trouble if not aware.
    I go to Jacobs’ Creek (state park) to take the kids swimming and picnic and can carry there however if I go out on the lake I am in for it, that part of the system is not exempt under the federal navigable waterways clause.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

vanguardist--city and county parks (local) can pass an ordinance to exempt part or all of their parks from allowing carry by permit holders. The screw up came with not requiring them to post with the official language spelled out in the law or a gun buster sign like required of a business. Some local parks have signs that say "No Firearms" (just like some businesses)--not according to the letter of the law but nobody has tested it yet. Since signs have the weight of law I'm sure not going to be the testr case! State parks do not have an option--carry is allowed but they didn't have to change their signs, thus the confusion. Screwed up, but I quess you take what you can get and hope for a bettewr future. Not sure the state can do anything about their parks that intertwine with federal land. Folks need to know exactly where they are to avoid a problem.

That is not correct. Gunbusters and 39-17-1359 signs do not apply in any parks in Tennessee.

The law says that local governments (cities and counties) may elect to prohibit permit holders from carrying in local parks. The law requires that if local governments ban guns in their parks that they post a different sign (a 39-17-1311 sign); however, the law does not protect permit holders if the local governments ban guns in their parks but fail to put up the 1311 signs.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

That is not correct. Gunbusters and 39-17-1359 signs do not apply in any parks in Tennessee.

The law says that local governments (cities and counties) may elect to prohibit permit holders from carrying in local parks. The law requires that if local governments ban guns in their parks that they post a different sign (a 39-17-1311 sign); however, the law does not protect permit holders if the local governments ban guns in their parks but fail to put up the 1311 signs.
    This is correct and what a mess. The 1311 signs carry weight of law and as "Agave" has stated all that needs be is the no carry was passed by the city or county that controls it. They don't have to put the signs up.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    This is correct and what a mess. The 1311 signs carry weight of law and as "Agave" has stated all that needs be is the no carry was passed by the city or county that controls it. They don't have to put the signs up.
    1311 signs do not carry the weight of law anywhere at any time. 1311 signs are required in parks where carry is banned by the local government. 1359 signs have the weight of law everywhere except parks and similar areas.

1311 signs do not carry the weight of law anywhere at any time. 1311 signs are required in parks where carry is banned by the local government. 1359 signs have the weight of law everywhere except parks and similar areas.
    Sorry I'm not following you very well. So, in a park posted with 1311 signs, they do...or don't carry the weight of law?

Thanks
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Sorry I'm not following you very well. So, in a park posted with 1311 signs, they do...or don't carry the weight of law?
    The law requires that if a local gov't bans guns in their parks that they put up a 1311 sign. However, the law does not protect anyone if they fail to put up a sign. In essence, the 1311 sign means nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links