Safety Product: Loading Gun: Have ND into Your GunBag Not Thru Floor To Downstairs

This is a discussion on Safety Product: Loading Gun: Have ND into Your GunBag Not Thru Floor To Downstairs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Solution in search of a problem? Maybe there is a valid purpose to this; albeit it's a small market. Consider the person who travels a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Safety Product: Loading Gun: Have ND into Your GunBag Not Thru Floor To Downstairs

Solution in search of a problem? Maybe there is a valid purpose to this; albeit it's a small market.

Consider the person who travels a lot, especially by air, and stays in hotels. That person will have to load/unload their gun at every stopover. In a hotel room, what direction is a safe direction to point the weapon?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

2. Remove Ads

The idea is good. A bucket of sand works too. I wouldn't get one, but I don't have a bucket of sand, either. None of my guns require firing the trigger to disassemble.

I can see someone in an apartment getting the pad to protect downstairs neighbors, but $310 for the range bag is too much.

I only have one neighbor close by, and lots of directions with no one within miles.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
    If the person isn't paying enough attention to keep their finger off the trigger, are they going to get their bulletproof pad?
    +1
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Um....a "safe" ND??? Why not just keep your finger off of the boom switch when loading/unloading weapons?? I'm not trying to be mean I'm just saying
    That's kinda funny. I can envision a specialty training class on how to perform "safe ND's".

"If you're not going to learn how to safely handle a firearm, at least learn how to safely perform your inevitable negligent discharge..."

VIP Member
    I won't in any way disparage a safety product. Maybe I've just lived too long and seen or heard about way too many ND's from very experienced shooters. They all thought, "It would never happen to me." Maybe it truly was the gun's fault. What's the difference?

At home I use a sand filled, plastic, gallon milk jug with a screw on cap and built in handle which can be set anywhere. On the road I use a thin, hard shell briefcase that contains a dense, hard foam in front of a steel plate. If you have more money than imagination, the Safe Direction bag is perfect.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

If you needed something for an apartment or some such living arangement you could just as easily use a sandbag or a foot thick bundle of old magazines (the reading kind) or books wrapped with duct tape. For a lot less than $300 bucks you can get an old vest panel from bulletproofme dot com and fit it about anywhere.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    possibly the same individuals who want a 'safe' gun and so reasons that unchambered renders the gun 'safer' will
    find this item similarly soothing.

but not so much for the great majority who have read the guns manual. understand how it works; with emphasis on the
    mechanics of the built in safeties. and practice using the most important safety of all when handling a gun--their mind.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If thats the case and you feel a need for a safety device,get a 5 gallon bucket of saand,on the cover cut out an opening to attach a short length of 2" pvc pipe,angle bucket at 45 degree angle so barrel of weapon will be aimed at center,and then use to clear weapons,cost is under 10 bucks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I won't in any way disparage a safety product. Maybe I've just lived too long and seen or heard about way too many ND's from very experienced shooters. They all thought, "It would never happen to me." Maybe it truly was the gun's fault. What's the difference?

At home I use a sand filled, plastic, gallon milk jug with a screw on cap and built in handle which can be set anywhere. On the road I use a thin, hard shell briefcase that contains a dense, hard foam in front of a steel plate. If you have more money than imagination, the Safe Direction bag is perfect.
    This is what I do not understand about this thread. I consider myself very knowledgeable about weapon and I still go outside to the garden when putting a round in the chamber. Have I ever had one go off when doing it? No I never have. I have had slamfires in other weapons though. So it makes me aware.
    Why should I be ridiculed for taking precautions just in case? Now if we wish to ridicule someone spending that kind of money instead of just filling a bucket with bone dry sand that a whole different subject.

I would say the chances of a round going off when in the process of chambering it in a auto is probably greater than the chances that a large group of armed gang bangers come charging through my front door.
    That does not stop me from arming myself just in case.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; December 19th, 2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie
    walleye likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    possibly the same individuals who want a 'safe' gun and so reasons that unchambered renders the gun 'safer' will
    find this item similarly soothing.

but not so much for the great majority who have read the guns manual. understand how it works; with emphasis on the
    mechanics of the built in safeties. and practice using the most important safety of all when handling a gun--their mind.
    That's all good practice, no argument about that, but none of it (other than muzzle control) protects you from a defect (stuck firing pin for example) or a latent defect (like the Walther PPJK had) in the gun that can cause it to fire when the slide goes forward. Everything you write about assumes the gun is perfect and won't fire unless the trigger is pulled. Almost everybody assumes that but it isn't 100% true. Granted it isn't a high probability, but there is a greater than zero chance that the gun has a defect that could cause it to fire even if all best practices are followed by a perfectly trained and attentive handler. It's happened before and it will happen again. The 5 gallon bucket full of sand like dukalmighty describes is cheap insurance that if it does happen, the worst outcome will be a loud noise and maybe a little sand to sweep up.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by steelhawk View Post
    The idea is good. A bucket of sand works too. I wouldn't get one, but I don't have a bucket of sand, either. None of my guns require firing the trigger to disassemble.

I can see someone in an apartment getting the pad to protect downstairs neighbors, but $310 for the range bag is too much.

I only have one neighbor close by, and lots of directions with no one within miles.
    Yeah, $310 for the ballistic pad attached to a gun-bag is over the top - if I found I was loading and unloading a lot, above another person's residence like I am now , I'd just get the pad. Think that was $175 - then stick with my own bag or buy a cheaper one. And the bucket of sand is also an option.

As far as the safety aspect: no one can read the future - say for sure they always will be paying acute attention or that the gun will be perfect in operation -

There a lot of people with a statistically small chance of dying tonight who will wake up dead tomorrow.
    Last edited by walleye; December 20th, 2011 at 01:28 AM.

And, if the gun in question doesn't have a loaded-chamber indicator, then there's a risk of a ND should the owner be careless, confused, distracted, drunk, forgetful, absent-minded, or a member of the chamber of commerce
    Seems to me in most of those cases, just about any safety device won't work. If the brain isn't working, safety is moot.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thanks OP for posting the topic. While I've been shooting for over 35 years, I never have heard of or considered a slam fire. I'm always cautious chambering a round in a semi auto, must've been intuition since I now understand there could be a rare mechanical malfunction. Bucket o' sand sounds like a good idea vs bouncing a round off the cinder block in the garage.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

If you have the $ to spend on whatever you want, I guess you could look at it as a safety against a gun malfunction/portable sand bucket. Other than that it is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

A local military base I know of uses firing buckets for security guards uses when loading their weapons. Myself I would rather use the sand bucket. As it is I just normally step out back when loading one in the chamber on my 1911.

Michael
    This is what we did. I was Air Force security police. We had clearing barrels. When you got your weapon you dry fired into the barrel and inserted the magazine. After shift you removed the magazine and again dry fired into the clearing barrel before handing it back to the armory. We carried condition 3.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links