Loaded CCW Guns in Safe: Safety Question ?

This is a discussion on Loaded CCW Guns in Safe: Safety Question ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m Why would you need to guard the triggers? The trigger guard prevents a person from contacting the trigger accidentally. The safe ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loaded CCW Guns in Safe: Safety Question ?

Originally Posted by mlr1m
    Why would you need to guard the triggers? The trigger guard prevents a person from contacting the trigger accidentally. The safe preforms the same function does it not?

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Was that sarcasm or do you Mexican carry?
    My response was for the person asking if the OP used a holster to cover or guard the trigger of a loaded pistol while in the gun safe.
    Originally Posted by MotorCityGun
    At the risk of taking this thread tangentially off the "safe/guns/ammo in a fire" topic, I have to ask the OP if he holsters his guns while they're in the safe. Since he stores them in "(semi-)Condition 1", i.e. chambered, safety on; I was wondering if they're holstered with the triggers guarded.
    Michael

2. Remove Ads

My dedicated HD gun is kept chambered, holstered, and in a 3/16" steel handgun safe. I'm not too concerned about a fire being a problem. The muzzle points to an exterior brick wall. The design with the holster prevents you from grabbing the trigger in the dark if you need to retrieve your gun.

1242157303935102392626.jpeg

12421583724691669415992.jpeg

My CCW (G26/CBST) goes in my RSC at night and stays chambered and holstered as well. I think it is less of a risk than unholstering and unloading it on a daily basis.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Why would you need to guard the triggers? The trigger guard prevents a person from contacting the trigger accidentally. The safe preforms the same function does it not?

Michael
    Uhhh, because eventually/hopefully the OP's going to remove it/them from the safe, right? Furthermore, s/he mentioned that other handguns are stored in the safe in Condition 1. So while (blindly?) reaching in and removing any of the said gun(s) from safe, I would think you'd want every gun to have their trigger guarded by a holster or some other device which protects the trigger from being touched.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Uhhh, because eventually/hopefully the OP's going to remove it/them from the safe, right? Furthermore, s/he mentioned that other handguns are stored in the safe in Condition 1. So while (blindly?) reaching in and removing any of the said gun(s) from safe, I would think you'd want every gun to have their trigger guarded by a holster or some other device which protects the trigger from being touched.
    All my pistols in the safe are loaded. None of my pistols in the safe are in holsters. I can pick up every one of them without ever touching the trigger. It has been that way for the last three decades.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Several of my firearms stay fully loaded...both in the safe and 'out and about'.
    Fire is another problem that I'll deal with when it happens.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    All my pistols in the safe are loaded. None of my pistols in the safe are in holsters. I can pick up every one of them without ever touching the trigger. It has been that way for the last three decades.
    Are you saying that three decades of questionable safety habits makes it safe?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Several of my firearms stay fully loaded...both in the safe and 'out and about'.
    Fire is another problem that I'll deal with when it happens.
    What do you think is MORE (un)likely, your guns and safe being in a fire or your trigger(s) inadvertantly are "touched" while "out and about"?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    You could add a fire proof bag for use in side your safe to help with add fire protection of your handgun, ammo and any other items of value. These can take a margenal firerated safe and up the rateing.

Fire Proof Rope Bags 15-20'
    Hey thanks, interesting product.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links