Question for LEOs - What do BGs Carry?

This is a discussion on Question for LEOs - What do BGs Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read through a recent thread asking about stopping power and what takes a BG down in one shot. This got me wondering about what ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for LEOs - What do BGs Carry?

Question for LEOs - What do BGs Carry?

I read through a recent thread asking about stopping power and what takes a BG down in one shot. This got me wondering about what the BG might be carrying and what we might be up against. I would assume that it could be just about anything from a .22 to a sawed off shotgun, but wonder what LEOs typically run into from the BGs.

Any thoughts/experience?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not LE but I am guessing in a large number of cases - something cheap, as against high end.

I'd expect Hi-Points, maybe older semi's such as aged PPK's, KT P11's, well used/stolen Glocks. Occasionally maybe bling 1911's for the top gang types - prestige symbols (best shot sideways!). Very likely as well a good number of Lorcins, Jennings, Ravens, old H&R's etc.

Probably plenty of old revo's around too.

Only using imagination here but have heard that majority use whatever they can ''aquire''! I would never make assumptions as to the armed ''category'' of a BG but sure hope most are inept at shooting well.... sorta gives us the edge.

I'd expect a large PD has probably seen em all over time!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

a few years as an MP, I had everything from .25 Ravens to 6.5 " M-29s, a grenade (thankfully inert), a 30-06, a cut down single shot 12gauge,a 1911, several daggers and bowie type knives, an RG gas pistol, and a wicked little serated steak knife wielded by a fanaticly po'd lady. Oh, yeah-a thrown, full, beer bottle, some ash trays and several chairs.
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    My guess is there are not alot of Kimbers, Springfields, or Paras out there, but this is a great question!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Most lowlife street thugs carry POS guns.

Raven, Loricin, Hi Point

If they have any better guns, they are stolen property.

Luckily for LEOs and CCW civilian ... the (Majority) of these low

lifes have have little or no training, and or very often totally

unfamiliar with the guns they carry. HOWEVER .. there are

exceptions to the rule of course. There are a few out there that

are trained, practice alot, and are very proficient with weapons.

But for the most part , unskilled with bad quality guns. I still have a RGI .22 revolver

(a BG ditched) and couldn't pin it on him. Looks like a kids cap gun. Of course it can kill

you just as dead as a $1000 1911 can.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

VIP Member
    I am at work right now, but I have someweher at home an FBI report from 1999 or 2000 and the most used gun was the good old revolver. It might have changed.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Every year we have an auction of confinscated weapons. Its a fair sized event, atttended by many people and the proceeds go to the Sheriff's Office. They usually buy new equipment with it.

That auction is a pretty fair estimate of what the bad guys are using and all of them were used in a crime of some sort.

There are alot of old single barreld shotguns. Some of these looked ugly and some looked good and usaully went from 10-40$ a piece.

Lots of .22's. Usally semi and bolt action, many defunct brands,a few Wins and Rems. Anywhere from 20-75 bucks. Maybe a dozen ahd scopes they would go anywhere from 75 to 100.

There were some old military surplus, a few Mosins and Mausers, I had to inform the auctioneer, just exactly what they were and the caliber as he didnt have a clue. Even though I collect them, they were too beat up to interest me.

There were half dozen or so semi auto's, in various deer calibers. These started out around 200 and went as high as 300. Perhaps a dozen or so bolt actions, Savage, Rem,Win, in various deer calibers.

Several lever actions, mostly Marlin and Win, with a couple of Rossi's in there in pistol calibers. These went anywhere from 75-150.

On to the pistols.

Most, but not all, were abused pieces of junk with all of the potmetal varietys thrown in. Lorcins,Ravens,Hi Points,RG,Davis and even some off the wall brands that Ive never heard of.
    Many of these were broken in some way and too ugly for anyone of charachter to own.

There were some decent pistols, a few Smiths, a couple of .45's a Dan Wesson,a half dozen or so of Rugers, both semi auto and revolvers. Some were in .22, one of the Smiths was a .44 mag, and the rest were usally .38 or .357. Rugers were 9mm,40 and .45. I had a friend of mine pick me up a .45 Auto Ordnance for 150 $.These guns went high, sometimes being sold for MORE than you could buy a new one...but auctions have a way of making some people crazy like that.

All in all I'd say it was a good cross section of guns.

I thought it was interesting to note that there were NO Sigs,HK's or even Glocks. When the auctioneer was publicly asked about that, he stated that anyone that could afford those kinds of guns could afford the lawyers to get them back.

Come to think of it, he may have had a point there.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I've definitely seen a lot of wheelguns on the guys I've arrested. Usually cheap ones...RG revolvers, Charter Arms, etc. Semiautos do tend toward the cheap end also. Lots and lots of Lorcins, Ravens, Hi-Points. In the past 10 years or so, however, Glocks have become much more prevalent with the gangbangers and dopers I have dealt with. I'm also seeing a lot of 1st and 2nd Generation S&W autoloaders on bad guys these days. Probably the most unusual firearm I've taken off of a thug was a gold Desert Eagle .50 and a really tricked out Browning Hi-Power.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Guys, let me tell you this having grown up in the inner city and do to my profession as a mental health counselor I continue to have my ear to the street there. These guys are carrying quality let me tell you from what I know. I counsel alot of teens that are former gang members and the such and I have the opportunity to listen to them tell of their expierences. They often frown upon cheap weapons because they realize they could get you killed! (Anit, that scary, when a former Gang member told me this it blew me away)

Moreover, I grew up with guys that continue to live that that life of hardness and when I see them out I try to get them to change, to no avail and these guys know of my background and they know I carry and when I see them out they know they can expect me to preach. Nevertheless, these guys often carry .45("Four Fever") in the Glock or Ruger flavor of things, Snub nose .38 and yes even a few highpoints, why because they go bang every time. Now, having said that let's not under estimate our opponents.

Specifically, I personally know of a guy that I grew up with that is a former soldier gone bad and did tours in desert storm. But, now is on the other side of the track. Don't under estimate this guy. When you under estimate your opponent you can lose the fight quickly. Most, also really favor the snub nose because you don't have to worry about shell casings. Most gang members will get a snub nose tatoo on their forearm with 187 on it to let others know they have killed. They favor the snub in .38 and most carry in .44, why because they don't Jam! This is real guys I grew up in the projects, was blessed to enter the military, get a degree and now give back. But, I tell you I am always aware and never under estimate my opponents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Seen any with this mod?

Assistant Administrator
    Blue - thx for your insight!
    I am always aware and never under estimate my opponents.
    That for sure we should never do. Despite feeling that many BG's might be inexperienced and carrying junk - my philosophy is to expect the best - that is what I train for and what I feel we should all train for.

Complacency can get us killed yeah! I plan for any confrontation (heaven forbid it ever occurs) - to expect someone carrying at least my SIG or better - and being well practiced. Hope for best - expect the worst!
    Chris - P95

P95, as always a nice classy response +1.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Assistant Administrator
    Blue - you are too kind! You can be on my team any day - or me on yours
    Chris - P95

well i work in communications at the county sheriffs dept and we JUST had a robbery from a business with a good ole' revolver =O)

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I think alot of people have already underestimated what Bg's can get their hands on out in the real world. Take your notions of BG's being less equipped and "less trained" than you are, and throw them in the garbage. The fact of the matter is...they are far more likely to have actually shot at and been shot at than you are. Several of the youths I work with have been involved in multiple drive-bys, one even killed his father with a glock.

Glocks, S&W's, you name it, it is on the streets. If it can be stolen, bought, bought with drugs etc....you may face it, and classifying all their weaponry as crap is delivering a great blow to your mental preparedness.
    Last edited by hsuCowboy98; August 18th, 2006 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Fear No Evil.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links