Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW?

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe this gun was used by The Rock throughout the movie "Faster" if you want to see it in action. A movie isn't the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW?

I believe this gun was used by The Rock throughout the movie "Faster" if you want to see it in action. A movie isn't the best place to get accurate firearm info, but it was fun to watch. Pretty sure it would be impossible to shoot it one handed as well as he did.
    Brian
    Walther PPS
    Glock 19
    Smith & Wesson 642
    Kahr CM9
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

2. Remove Ads

I actually STARTED hiking with my wife just so I could justify buying this gun. "Honey....there's bears out here in these mountains...I just don't know that I feel I can protect you with a anything less than a .44." Well played brain...well played.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    A liberal jury would have a field day with your need for a .454 - Just Sayin'
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by BrianRx74 View Post
    I believe this gun was used by The Rock throughout the movie "Faster" if you want to see it in action. A movie isn't the best place to get accurate firearm info, but it was fun to watch. Pretty sure it would be impossible to shoot it one handed as well as he did.
    my Alaskan looks much bigger when i hold it then when The Rock is shooting his, might be that extra 8 inches and 50 lbs he is carring. i don't think i would like carrying the Alaskan up and down the hills ok i mean mountains out here in the great state of Washington. I was going to use mine for that then decided to get a 329 instead and am pleased with it's portability.

A liberal jury would have a feild day even if i threw a rock at the bad guy and killed him! Those people are just apsent minded when it comes to guns or anything that makes sence. Until it happens to them or their family then they want the knife stuck in!

Quote Originally Posted by balin View Post
    my Alaskan looks much bigger when i hold it then when The Rock is shooting his, might be that extra 8 inches and 50 lbs he is carring. i don't think i would like carrying the Alaskan up and down the hills ok i mean mountains out here in the great state of Washington. I was going to use mine for that then decided to get a 329 instead and am pleased with it's portability.
    What caliber is yor 329? If its .44 mag how is the recoil? Does it punch u in your hand?

There are several reasons why I believe the 454 casull is a poor SD round,One of the most negative is over penetration,you shoot a BG and the round goes thru ank kills an innocent victim,and you will find yoursel known as the Defendant
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a .454 and my concern about carrying it when hiking is follow-up shots. Recoil is brutal. I expect to get in ONE good shot if I ever need to use it, the recoil, flash, muzzle flip and weight of the gun for a follow up shot are a concern (not to mention that I'll be deaf). Unless I'm somewhere that I'm expecting a Grizzly (which I never have been, but I would probably carry a shotgun or my .454 lever gun if I were), my preference is for something smaller with faster follow-up shots and more than 5 total. Any self defense caliber is also suitable against cougars and wolves, my main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There are several reasons why I believe the 454 casull is a poor SD round,One of the most negative is over penetration,you shoot a BG and the round goes thru ank kills an innocent victim,and you will find yoursel known as the Defendant
    I agree but thats why i said i would use 45 colt for CCW! Wouldnt use the 454 casull rounds execpt for dangerous game deffence.

I also have this gun in .44 Magnum. Great gun but I wouldn't consider it a CCW. There are far more better options. Its a real brick. However it is a great house, farm and ranch gun as well as a good Bear/bad human protection hiking gun. A pleasure to shoot with .44 specials and a hoot with full Magnum rounds. I don't think I even want to shoot the .454 or .480 version of this gun. But the 44 my new bedside revolver kicking out the .357 magnum that used to reside there. But its also loaded with 44 special JHP's too.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I think this would be a great Bear gun,a little over powered for BG`s though but you use what you have at hand. Simply Rugged will make you a Custom Holster,they are Excellent. Good Luck!.

Zman,
    If you hike, fish, hunt or shoot anything like you write/type/spell,,,, I recommend that you not own any guns at all!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    Zman,
    If you hike, fish, hunt or shoot anything like you write/type/spell,,,, I recommend that you not own any guns at all!!!!!
    Why? The 2nd amendment only extend to you internet English teachers?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    I think this would be a great Bear gun,a little over powered for BG`s though but you use what you have at hand. Simply Rugged will make you a Custom Holster,they are Excellent. Good Luck!.
    From what I've read written by people that have been there, done that, a modern .45-70 lever gun (able to take modern high pressure loads), double rifle, or the equivalent is a good Brown Bear (they are worse than Grizzlies) gun. If a female brown bear gets up in a full Adrenalin rush she'll be bearing down on you from about 30 yards out. The only shot that will save you is right between the eyes, right now - miss and die. Good luck doing that with a .454 snubbie.

There was a post several years ago on a hunting forum by a guy that was taking his turn as the duty bear guard for his buddies who were fishing on Kodiak Island. He was carrying a Marlin .45-70 carbine in the ready position when a female brown bear got up and charged him in a full adreneline rage like I described in the previous paragraph. He killed the bear with a great shot but when she fell on him, already dead, he was still rather badly hurt by her paws.

Bottom line, if you really think you are going to have to defend your self from a bear, don't go there. If you go anyway take more than a .454 snubbie.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    Zman,
    I will be the first to admit i cant spell to well. But as far as hunting and fishing and shooting firearms my game room speaks for that!
    Gunnutty likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links