Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW? - Page 3

Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW?

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also want an alaskan for the same reason that you want one. Hiking and in the woods and stuff....It also makes sense to carry ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW?

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I also want an alaskan for the same reason that you want one. Hiking and in the woods and stuff....It also makes sense to carry it in a shoulder holster. In the winter or in weather that is adequate for a jacket or outer clothing I think that (loaded with Long Colts) it could also work for CC.

I want one too!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
    What caliber is yor 329? If its .44 mag how is the recoil? Does it punch u in your hand?
    yes it is a 44 mag. the recoil is not excessive IMO. it would not be my choice for a range gun. it is a 25 ounce gun or there abouts. it take my alaskan to the range much more often. but a few cylinder fulls of full power rounds is not bad. carried my 329 around the woods for the last couple years. even mushroom hunting i did not notice i was carrying it.

A couple of years ago I picked up a .454 Alaskan for bear/two legged predator protection for use on our farm. For a test run I loaded the cylinder with .454 Casull 300something grain. The first round felt like a grenade had gone off in my hand and after setting off the remainder rounds, I had suddenly lost interest in using this gun with .454s.

I now have it loaded with .45Colt and it still packs a pretty good punch but a lot more tame to handle. Relegated to homestead protection.

Overall analysis. It is a COOL gun, accurate, fun to shoot with .45Cs. But......too heavy for carry, too BIG a kick w/.454. So, unless the definite need of a .454 and the ability to handle it, probably not the best handgun choice. YMMV

I have a Alaskan .454 and a Simply Rugged Pancake Holster that is easy to carry. I am a big guy so i can conceal the bigger guns rather well. My .44 DE and S&W M500 are a little to heavy however.

Been looking into different gun weights and concluded that these small 44 magnums arent really that much more weight then lets say my Sprinfeild XD 45 acp.. My XD with full mag weighs 40.5 oz. For example the other gun im looking at besides the alaskan is the S&W 629 44 mag performance center it weighs 39 oz empty and 43.5oz estamet loaded.. thats really only around 3 or 4 more ounces then my XD and i think the XD is really light. Not really that much more!

VIP Member
    Your XD is plenty for PA. Your 500 can handle anything on the planet. The magnum snubbies, with their short sight radius, leave a lot of unburned powder in the snow. The 4" 26 oz S&W 329PD 44 mag might be nearly as powerful a trail gun.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Your XD is plenty for PA. Your 500 can handle anything on the planet. The magnum snubbies, with their short sight radius, leave a lot of unburned powder in the snow. The 4" 26 oz S&W 329PD 44 mag might be nearly as powerful a trail gun.
    For persanol protection i think it is but i dont think it would be good for an angry black bear mom with cubs coming at me full bore. Couple years ago trout fishing a little cub wlaked past 15 feet from me and i was surrounded by thick laurels.. who knows where the mom was? But when i look back it could have went bad if she came crashing out from the bushes! I know they rarley ever attack but ive heard stories of when they do! Would at least like to have a 44 mag by my side. My 500 smith is just for hand gun hunting i would never dream of carrying that cannon around for protection. Maybe in alaska i would with a cross holster tho..

I have a Super Redhawk 44 mag that I've cut to a 4 inch barrel, so a little longer than the Alaskan, but it carries very nicely in a Simply Rugged pancake. A big gun, but tucks in very close with that holster. Not the best ccw, but doable under a jacket or heavy shirt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Looked at one at the range yesterday & one big magnum six gun with one short barrel!

Just looked pretty bulkey to me, however, with the right holster like the Simply Rugged pancake & decent cover garment I don't know why one couldent carry it concealed.

Seems like a good back up or hiking revolver, on the trail load it with .454 mags when headed back to town load it with .45 colts.
    I would rather have two guns than have to keep stop and change loads when I get back to town.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I would rather have two guns than have to keep stop and change loads when I get back to town.
    well yeah the more the merry.. For me it would be ok im going to town so load the 44 spcl or im going trout fishing or hunting so load the 44 magnum.

well yeah the more the merry.. For me it would be ok im going to town so load the 44 spcl or im going trout fishing or hunting so load the 44 magnum.
    I have yet to try 44 special ammo in my Alaskan.....but think I'll track some down and see how the gun feels with them. I'm guessing it'll be VERY managable as it's a hefty piece of steel.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    I have yet to try 44 special ammo in my Alaskan.....but think I'll track some down and see how the gun feels with them. I'm guessing it'll be VERY managable as it's a hefty piece of steel.
    From what i hear its like shooting 38 s in that gun!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I actually think this gun makes sense IF you are only Hiking or Fishing and NOT carrying a long gun.

A shoulder holster would leave your hands free and distributes the weight better than any waist holster.

If you want to lug it around in town - well, it's your spine.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

From what i hear its like shooting 38 s in that gun!
    That's what I'm thinking. I was looking for a new wheelie for occasional carry....maybe I just need to 'repurpose' my woods gun.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I would.. Save yourself some money. My current cary gun is a springfeild XD 45 acp and its 40.5 oz loaded and i think its really light! Yours loaded probably since it only holds 6 and has no magazine is around 47 or 48 ounces loaded!! really isnt that much heavier then my XD and its a hell of alot more versitile!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links