Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW?

Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW?

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking of buying a ruger alaskan in 454 casual. From the looks of it it looks very compact but bulky at the same time. No ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW?

Ruger Alaskan 454 CCW?

Thinking of buying a ruger alaskan in 454 casual. From the looks of it it looks very compact but bulky at the same time. No local shops have any to get a feel so im just going by pics online. My intrest in this gun is i would like a compact revolver for protection while im in the woods fishing hikeing or hunting but i would also would like the option to conceal carry with 45 colt if i want. I know the gun is 44 ounces so just wondering from any owners of this fine peice how it would be for CCW? Im really looking for a versitile Revolver and seems like this might be it!

First off, the caliber is .454 "Casull", not "casual"... hope that's just a typo on your part, and not a word that might be misleading you. There's precious little that's "casual" about a .454 Casull!

I've carried fully-loaded 1911s that run about 42 ounces quite comfortably with good holsters and gun belts, both IWB and OWB. So another couple of ounces will likely not be a big deal. But the width of the gun really takes it out of the IWB realm. I think the relatively short overall length of the gun would mean it's concealable with the right belt holster. Check out the offerings from Simply Rugged and Milt Sparks, as well as the other Forum advertisers.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yeah just a typo i ment casull.. well my Springfeild XD is my carry gun and thats 30 ounces empty. I read a reveiw online about bid revolvers for CCW and acording to that guy even tho their wider they still carry well cause there just wider in the wheel and the rest of the gun is slimer then lets say a glock or xd and it fits perfectly in that area of the body on the side. Like i said thats just a reveiw i watched online. I have enough single job guns around for hunting including a 500 S&W for handgun hunting so im just looking for somthing thats versatile! Woods carry and CCW..

I really just want to know about the gun more. The quality the feel and compactability. How well does it shoot? Most likely never use it for CCW but just like versatility if i want too. Is it worth buying?

I would say NO....seem's to me the gun was marketed for "protection nature carry" to people that want the biggest handgun they can carry, in the smallest package ...put 6 or 8 inches of barrel on the thing and it would be a weapon to be feared by all nasty creatures..but as it is, its an abomination...snubby cannon, that doesnt get the job done and is ungainly where ever it goes, sizable recoil, blinding at nite...has the "new" barrel system
    using a "liner" ...you'll see , I think............................................. not Smith and Wesson finest gun

That could be because it is a Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
    Thinking of buying a ruger alaskan in 454 casual. From the looks of it it looks very compact but bulky at the same time. No local shops have any to get a feel so im just going by pics online. My intrest in this gun is i would like a compact revolver for protection while im in the woods fishing hikeing or hunting but i would also would like the option to conceal carry with 45 colt if i want. I know the gun is 44 ounces so just wondering from any owners of this fine peice how it would be for CCW? Im really looking for a versitile Revolver and seems like this might be it!
    Most of us think of something in the 11 ounce to 15 ounce as a CCW pocket gun. A 44 ounce gun is 2.75 pounds without ammunition. That is a very heavy gun to carry around all day concealed.

I think my big Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum is quite heavy for all-day carry in the woods.

Are you expecting to be attacked by a herd of rabid grizzly bears?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    I would say NO....seem's to me the gun was marketed for "protection nature carry" to people that want the biggest handgun they can carry, in the smallest package ...put 6 or 8 inches of barrel on the thing and it would be a weapon to be feared by all nasty creatures..but as it is, its an abomination...snubby cannon, that doesnt get the job done and is ungainly where ever it goes, sizable recoil, blinding at nite...has the "new" barrel system
    using a "liner" ...you'll see , I think............................................. not Smith and Wesson finest gun
    First of all, that line of snub nosed guns is considered one of the best for it's niche. It's a true anti-predator gun for the areas with the biggest threats.

Second of all, the name of the thread even references that this is a Ruger firearm and not a S&W.

Third, it's a good trail gun. Many people who own them love them.

Fourth, it's a bit overkill for dealing with human problems. You would have to worry about overpenetration and hurting people behind the BG(s). Brown bears require considerably more power to dispatch than most humans do. Personally, if the OP really is in Pennsylvania, I'm doubting that they would need something that big. Not unless you travel to places with the bigger bruins.

well Im bad...Ruger...back to getting xmass in the mail.....HA

I own the gun in .44 magnum and LOVE it. I've been told though that the .454 load will "make Zeus flinch".

I've handled the .454 and believe, apart from the cylindar that they are the same gun overall. This is ONE BIG gun that feels awesome in your hand. I would happily carry this in the woods all day with the right holster. It's such a short barrel that I think it'd be comfortable.

You'd have to be a BIG person though to consider this for CC on a daily basis.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I love my 454 revolver and carry it on my hip when hunting, 4 wheeling, and camping especially in bear country. But it doesn't make sense for ccw for me weight concealablity just not there especially considering 45lc is very comparable to 45 acp in personal defense rounds and in a much more concealable and lighter gun. That being said when I shoot 45lc in my 454 it's like shooting 22lr p22 but with a louder bang.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Looked at one at the range yesterday & one big magnum six gun with one short barrel!

Just looked pretty bulkey to me, however, with the right holster like the Simply Rugged pancake & decent cover garment I don't know why one couldent carry it concealed.

Seems like a good back up or hiking revolver, on the trail load it with .454 mags when headed back to town load it with .45 colts.

I just have to wonder what lives in PA that a 357 180gr hardcast can't deal with? If looking for versatility especially with CCW I'd rather have a 2" or 3" sp-101 (or a 3" or 4" gp100) than a 454 alaskan, unless I lived in the west or alaska.

Unless you are just trying to justify the alaskan, to which I say, just buy it and don't fool yourself.

Well main reason for this gun would not be ccw it would be for the woods for hikeing, fishing, and hunting side arm. I already have a ccw side arm in Xd 45 acp. The reason i posted this is cause im looking for a versitile gun and i was going to go with an s&w 629 44 mag performance center with 2 5/8 barrel. Looked at the specs seemed like a small gun but noticed it was 39.6oz. Then i looked up the alaskan in 44 mag 44oz. then i thought if i go with the ruger alaskan mise well get the 454 casull its the same weight and i could shoot 45 colt in it when i dont need all that power which would even be tammer then the 44 mag i was considering! Just seems like the better buy! I thinke for winter carry it wouldnt be to far fetched to ccw this fine peice with 45 colt. esp just walking around outside for alittle in the woods.

The Ruger would fit the bill for you then. It would do everything you want, and then some. There is nothing wrong with that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links