Any North Dakota Permit Holders on Here?

This is a discussion on Any North Dakota Permit Holders on Here? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if there are any North Dakota permit holders on this form. I have moved back and sent in my permit for an ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dmars
  • 2 Post By JasoninSD

Thread: Any North Dakota Permit Holders on Here?

Any North Dakota Permit Holders on Here?

I was wondering if there are any North Dakota permit holders on this form. I have moved back and sent in my permit for an address update. After waiting 45 days per the A.G.'s website I sent in a letter telling them I had not received the permit. After the new laws went into affect it seems that the A.G's office has become a whole less user friendly. Ya cant call in for a status or anything! UT got my permit back to me in a few weeks, and since AZ doesn't put the address on the permit I just had to fax them a form. I am covered to carry here in ND but would like the resident permit. That is my rant for the day.

2. Remove Ads

Yup

I live in ND and have a State permit and a Utah permit.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Terry

Where can you carry there? My recollection is that ND didn't have the best carry law.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteox View Post
    Where can you carry there? My recollection is that ND didn't have the best carry law.
    You can say that again. Having worked, lived and carried in ND, GA and Utah, I have concluded that a concealed carry permit in ND is only good for legally having a loaded weapon in your vehicle. It is a jumbled bunch of ridiculous laws that make it impossible to legally carry throughout your day. Here are a few:

Cannot carry in a Restaurant or Establishment that serves alcohol.
    Cannot carry in a Gaming site.
    Cannot carry in a Sporting event, school or school function, church or church function,
    Political rally, music concert, public parks or any public gathering.
    You can carry at a Roadside Rest stop BUT...not into the buildings at the Rest stop.
    You can OPEN carry BUT...only if you have a permit.

Bottom line, North Dakota has Concealed Carry Permit laws but you can't carry!!!!
    Most of these laws need to be legislated out.
    stylus likes this.

Hey buddy,

I waited nearly 90 days for my permit to arrive. I know the AG's office won't accept any inquiries that you may have.

As far as where you can carry goes, I agree somewhat with your sentiment. Obviously, no liquor establishments. No churches or school gatherings. I teach, so I have to be careful as far as being on school grounds with a weapon in my vehicle. Also, no public gatherings... I've asked before on this site as to what constitutes as a public gathering. I haven't really gotten a concrete answer, so I just use my best judgement.

Where are you located? The only reason I ask is due to this oil boom in Western N.D. It has become a complete cluster f***. I know it is good for our economy, etc etc... but crime rates are flying through the roof. I have a good buddy who has worked on a rig before the boom occurred and his company has very strict policies against carrying. He loves his job and the money, but still carries regardless.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmars View Post
    You can say that again. Having worked, lived and carried in ND, GA and Utah, I have concluded that a concealed carry permit in ND is only good for legally having a loaded weapon in your vehicle. It is a jumbled bunch of ridiculous laws that make it impossible to legally carry throughout your day. Here are a few:

Cannot carry in a Restaurant or Establishment that serves alcohol.
    Cannot carry in a Gaming site.
    Cannot carry in a Sporting event, school or school function, church or church function,
    Political rally, music concert, public parks or any public gathering.
    You can carry at a Roadside Rest stop BUT...not into the buildings at the Rest stop.
    You can OPEN carry BUT...only if you have a permit.

Bottom line, North Dakota has Concealed Carry Permit laws but you can't carry!!!!
    Most of these laws need to be legislated out.
    You can't carry in ND? I think ND laws are pretty good compared with some other states. (they could be better) I can carry in about 99% of the places I want to go to on a daily basis. I have no desire to enter an alcohol or gambling establishment or school functions. (we homeschool) As far as concerts, there are barely any concerts in ND anyway! As far as "private off limit areas" go, the only "no weapons allowed" signs I have seen in the state were in hospitals. (and those are company policies that don't hold the weight of state law anyway) I carry all over town and in every business I go into. Other states have a lot more of those "no weapons" signs/off limit areas.

I live in ND and I can carry in about 99% of the places I go to on a daily basis. There are some off limit areas, and we need to work on getting them changed.

I didn't have any trouble with mine it took about 30 days, but that was last year when it renewed.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    You can't carry in ND? I think ND laws are pretty good compared with some other states. (they could be better) I can carry in about 99% of the places I want to go to on a daily basis. I have no desire to enter an alcohol or gambling establishment or school functions. (we homeschool) As far as concerts, there are barely any concerts in ND anyway! As far as "private off limit areas" go, the only "no weapons allowed" signs I have seen in the state were in hospitals. (and those are company policies that don't hold the weight of state law anyway) I carry all over town and in every business I go into. Other states have a lot more of those "no weapons" signs/off limit areas.

Well Having had my permit for 20 years now, it's one of those things, some of the laws are worded a bit sketchy a few have changed. You say you don't want to carry at a gaming or liquor site? If you go in to pay gas somewhere that sells either lotto tickets or beer, you are technically breaking the law. The only signs I have seen saying no weapons allowed are Hospitals, and Govt. buildings, the only private one I have seen was blockbuster video, but they are closed here now. They just passed a law saying you can carry in a church with permission from the pastor/priest etc. I know they were trying to clean a bunch of them up this last legislative session, but they didn't get them all through. You can carry in state parks, WMA's, T.R. national park. Now some cities might have no carry in city parks ordinances, but I think they have to have a sign up. They also passed a law saying they can't restrict your carry rights during emergencies. The permits are shall issue, not may issue, so that's a bonus, and we have reciprocity with a bunch of states, basically if another state recognizes our permits, we recognize theirs. We've got a way to go, but I'd say it's better than most states, not all, but most.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post
    I was wondering if there are any North Dakota permit holders on this form. I have moved back and sent in my permit for an address update. After waiting 45 days per the A.G.'s website I sent in a letter telling them I had not received the permit. After the new laws went into affect it seems that the A.G's office has become a whole less user friendly. Ya cant call in for a status or anything! UT got my permit back to me in a few weeks, and since AZ doesn't put the address on the permit I just had to fax them a form. I am covered to carry here in ND but would like the resident permit. That is my rant for the day.
    Having your resident permit is a condition of having your Utah permit. Be careful, you may not actually be covered to carry in ND.

Utah Non-Resident Permits

53-5-704.
    (4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit
    under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:
    (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate
    permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency;
    and
    (ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed
    firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).
    As I was taught by my instructors, "hold" means "to have possession of". If you sent your permit in, you don't have it, you aren't "holding" it, and Utah may not cover you.

Geez... our state .... you can basically carry anywhere that's not posted, and only buildings can be posted..... no outside locations, events, parking garages, etc. can be posted.
    A few cities / counties are in a tizzy right now, because July 1 the State made it legal for public employees to carry at work, and for people to carry in any public building unless they had security measures in place (metal detectors, guards, etc). They can get a one time limited exception to buy time to install the measures. The only exceptions are mental health facilities, secure areas in police stations, jails, prisons, and judges can restrict them in courtrooms if they have minimally armed LEO's with wands, etc. and everyone going in is checked.

Kansas will also now recognize all state's CC licenses... come July 1.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sorry to hear North Dakota is a pain. In South Dakota you will normally have your permit in 5 minutes but in no case longer than 5 days. Not near the restrictions on places that are off limits too. Oh, it is only $10 for 4 years.
    006.9V2.1 and stylus like this.

New Member Array ghendrickson04's Avatar
    "A pain" is right. They have taken over 130 days to get me my permit (still don't have it) and by statute they have 90 days. Not only that, but they just shortened their window to 60 days. I have no idea how they plan on doing that since they're so far behind with the longer allotted time.

Links