Change in CMSA regulations...must be able to legally own firearms

This is a discussion on Change in CMSA regulations...must be able to legally own firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. The CMSA (Cowboy Mounted Shooting Assn) just sent out this regulation update: "Membership in the CMSA is a privilege and requires that those ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sdprof

Thread: Change in CMSA regulations...must be able to legally own firearms

Change in CMSA regulations...must be able to legally own firearms

Hi all. The CMSA (Cowboy Mounted Shooting Assn) just sent out this regulation update:

"Membership in the CMSA is a privilege and requires that those who compete in events meet all local, state and federal requirements to legally possess firearms for the purpose of such competition. Therefore it is the responsibility of all members to insure that they are legally able within the state or country that they are competing in to own and/or possess firearms. If the CMSA is notified by proper authorities of a member's inability to legally possess the firearms required to compete in CMSA sanctioned events that membership will immediately be suspended."

I realize that I need to find out the relevant state laws for 'transporting' my guns when competing, that's a given.

But this new reg brings up a few questions in my mind. I realize that few if any of you are members of the CMSA but was curious about your thoughts.

In the assn, 13 yr olds may compete. I dont think there are any states where 13 yr olds are allowed to own guns. So they would be borrowed or family guns.

I have borrowed guns to compete in the past. (Several people in my club still borrow guns as they are fairly expensive).

So while this new regulation says you cant "own or possess," it seems that someone could easily get around this by using someone else's guns...which is legal in the assn. Then I have to examine my thoughts on 'cheating' when at least initially, it seems unfair to restrict someone from competing. And yet, they are fully working firearms.

Are there laws that say felons and others not legally allowed to own guns cant shoot them? Can a convicted felon go to a range, rent a gun, and shoot?

So maybe this is just a CYA for the CMSA?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It reads like a CYA to me. Perhaps for liability insurance purposes. Also, with respect to kids, owning and possessing in the presence of a parent or guardian are different things.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Could this be a reaction to the June incident in Hill City SD where a cowboy re-enactor who turned out to be a felon in possession of a gun accidentally shot some tourists?

Well, after all, it was tourist season. (sorry, couldn't help myself)
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

It is what it says,a 13 year old can legally possess a firearm while hunting etc.
    What they are stating is the fact that you legally cannot possess a weapon due to the fact you are a convicted felon,or have been found guilty of domestic violence etc. and even if you borrow a firearm the mere possession of that firearm in your hands is breaking the law.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    In MN, with a parental consent signature, a DNR hunter saftey instructor may allow a child to use a rifle for the qualification.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Crap,,,,, I've missed most of the "Christmas shopping season"!! I'm sure I could have gotten a couple of bag limits at the WalMart.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Could this be a reaction to the June incident in Hill City SD where a cowboy re-enactor who turned out to be a felon in possession of a gun accidentally shot some tourists?

Well, after all, it was tourist season. (sorry, couldn't help myself)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    It is what it says,a 13 year old can legally possess a firearm while hunting etc.
    What they are stating is the fact that you legally cannot possess a weapon due to the fact you are a convicted felon,or have been found guilty of domestic violence etc. and even if you borrow a firearm the mere possession of that firearm in your hands is breaking the law.
    Yes, there is a difference between "own" and "possess." A thirteen-year-old hunting in the field "possesses" a firearm while he may not "own" it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks all.

I guess this is what my question comes down to: does 'possess' mean to handle? Meaning that a convicted felon cannot go to a gun range and rent a gun and shoot it? "In your hands" means breaking the law?

I imagine some states have laws against 13 yr olds doing the same tho, no?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Thanks all.

I guess this is what my question comes down to: does 'possess' mean to handle? Meaning that a convicted felon cannot go to a gun range and rent a gun and shoot it? "In your hands" means breaking the law?

I imagine some states have laws against 13 yr olds doing the same tho, no?
    You are correct. Convicted felons are not even supposed to hold or handle firearms. It is considered being in possession of a firearm and is a violation of the law.

I also believe, (although not certain), that is also applies to ammunition as well. Felons are not supposed to possess ammunition if I remember correctly.

Most states allow juveniles to possess and/or own firearms even though they may not be of legal age to purchase a firearm. For example, I just gifted my 10 y/o granddaughter a single shot Rossi Trifecta for Christmas (It has interchangeable barrels and comes with a .22 LR, a 20 ga shotgun, and .243 Win barrels). Perfectly legal in my state.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links