Confronted by LEO while carrying

This is a discussion on Confronted by LEO while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all of the replies. I'm glad that my understanding of the Colorado statutes is accurate. I didn't want to bias the thread too ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Confronted by LEO while carrying

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm glad that my understanding of the Colorado statutes is accurate.

I didn't want to bias the thread too much by giving my actual opinion on the matter, but now that several people have had a chance to weigh in I will give my opinion.

I think it's total BS that those instructions are printed on the back of the card. It is not required by law, and thus should not be there. On the other hand, if a CCW permittee hasn't taken the time to carefully read all of the applicable laws, shame on them.

On the issue of to tell or not to tell, there obviously isn't a correct answer. There are advantages to both approaches. Personally, I'm in the camp that honesty is the best policy. If the situation arises, I will probably volunteer the information. (I'm not implying that not saying anything isn't honest, it is, too. I would rather be proactive).

But despite the fact that I would choose to comply with the suggestion on the card, I still feel pretty strongly that those instructions do not belong there.

On a side note, I was very surprised with how quickly I actually got the permit. When I took my CCW class the instructor made it pretty clear that most of the Colorado sheriffs do everything within their power to make it difficult to go through the application process, and thus take every bit of the 90 days that they are given by statute to issue the permit. I couldn't believe it when I got mine after only 36 days.

Doc

2. Remove Ads

If no one has mentioned it already, in many states it's up to the counties (often their sheriffs) to decide to issue a permit. That's in some shall issue and may issue states. Sometimes it's just up to one guy. And then they can also put their agendas on the cards (apparently).

I'm glad you cared enough to ask...or at least, to double-check.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Here in Louisiana, that info shows up when they run your plates, and you are supposed to notify. I don't imagine it'd be any issue here.

Though Shall Issue concealed permit legislation is regulated by State of Colorado, each County is responsible for processing and issuing of CCW licenses. I have a Boulder County CCW and it does not have that message on the back. Denver itself also doesn't appear to be very gun friendly. If I had to take a guess, they only issue CCWs because they have to. As always, make sure you are in compliance of law with federal, state, county and local municipality. Denver may have a requirement to tell the officer if you are pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by ping.brady View Post
    Though Shall Issue concealed permit legislation is regulated by State of Colorado, each County is responsible for processing and issuing of CCW licenses. I have a Boulder County CCW and it does not have that message on the back. Denver itself also doesn't appear to be very gun friendly. If I had to take a guess, they only issue CCWs because they have to. As always, make sure you are in compliance of law with federal, state, county and local municipality. Denver may have a requirement to tell the officer if you are pulled over.
    As I and someone else wrote....just because Denver has that 'requirement' doesnt mean it's within the law. Of course, you'd have the hassle of dealing with it legally but their state laws should supercede the city laws.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Denver definitely hasn't been very gun friendly in the past. Which is why I was so surprised that I received my permit so quickly. But a new Chief of Police was just appointed. Perhaps he has a more gun friendly attitude. Who knows? Either way, I don't think the instructions belong on the permit.

Florida does not REQUIRE you to inform. To the best of my knowledge, they do not tag your drivers or vehicle license with the fact you have a permit.
    So, I asked a few LEOs I know about "do you want to know if I have a weapon: 1. On me or within reach 2. in the closed glove box?"
    Mostly all said they want to know if you are packing, as in #1. Inform as: "Officer for your and my safety, I am informing you I have a firearm at ___________, what do you want me to do?"
    As in #2, they don't care to know unless you have your vehicle papers in the golvebox and intend to reach in there.

Think about this: many agencies run 2 officers to a patrol car. One my be a "trainee" or "probie" and be very new at this. He is on the right side, with the experienced officer at the drivers window. The probie sees you reaching into a glovebox and theres a gun there. What do you think will happen next? He wants to go home after his shift is over.
    Same thing if you have your wallet in your hip pocket, and your gun becomes uncovered while reaching for the wallet.
    I will inform.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You got to have enough sense to know the difference between advice and law- and then apply the same to your situation.
    It makes it difficult to tell the difference between the two when the State puts both law and advice on the same card. Then leaves it to the holder to guess which one is which.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    As I and someone else wrote....just because Denver has that 'requirement' doesnt mean it's within the law. Of course, you'd have the hassle of dealing with it legally but their state laws should supercede the city laws.
    Hence my suggestion to looking into it. If Denver has code for it, they can enforce it. But since state or federal says otherwise they don't prosecute. Great example, though it is legal to open carry in Colorado, Denver bans it. If you open carry, they will likely disarm you and confiscate the weapon. No charges are applied, but you get to chase your tail trying to get your weapon returned. Its an anti-gun city's way of saying, we can't outlaw it, so we'll make it very inconvenient.

Just like self defence, avoidance is best strategy. I don't open carry in Denver, though in long run, I have legal right to.

In some areas, the Fraternal Order of Police Officers, have asked or even pushed for it to be put on a license, or cards handed to people. They see it as advising citizens what the best way to handle it is, from the point of view of the officer and knowing you have a gun , but are a good guy.

We do not have any requirement to inform unless asked. However, I will inform them in the manner that seems the most appropriate to the situation, if I feel it's the thing to do (it's a contact involving them on duty doing their job). I'm around LEO's all of the time, but it's not a situation of them being on duty and in the performance of their job, so there is no need in that situation.

I've been pulled over "once" in the last 30 yrs, and I was not carrying so I didn't inform anyone of anything..... even though he knew the instant he ran my license. Another time a guy hit my parked car and wiped out the whole back end of it with a 5th wheeler..... and I just handed him my permit when he arrived. He commented , " I don't need your DL as you weren't driving" , and I responded by saying " it's not my driver's license".... he looked, said "ok, thank you" , handed it back and went about his way getting the info he needed from the driver and doing a report.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    OK...say he's going for a ride....

What, praytell, will he be charged with? Following the law?

I say, follow the law...that's what your legislature approved. Is there an organization in CO that you can appeal to, to fight these extraordinary local requirements? Not the NRA, but a state-level, grassroots organization like Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) has for Virginia?
    RMGO Colorado's No-Compromise Gun Rights Organization - Rocky Mountain Gun Owners

My Adams County permit doesn't have that nonsense on it. Apparently Denver believes their local law supersedes state law. Unless I'm mistaken... isn't it legal to open carry pretty much anywhere in the state except for downtown Denver? I don't open carry so I'm not 100% up on those laws... but that is what I've heard. Don't know if that is true or not but IF Denver can prevent open carry when the rest of the state doesn't... can they also make people inform when the rest of the state doesn't? Unless it is written as law somewhere though I don't know how it could be enforced.
    Last edited by brobar; January 3rd, 2012 at 12:37 AM.

FL is not a "duty to notify" state and my policy is that I'm not bringing it up, if the LEO doesn't. No harm, no foul. But given the preponderance of badge heavy, young antigun police officers I keep running into in my area (all the pro gun old guard are retiring in droves), it only seems that discretion is the best policy to avoid any unpleasantness. I have walked right beside LEOs while wearing a full size duty type gun (Beretta M92 or Sig P226 or 1911 Gov't) and while I'm carrying in a CROSSBREED Super Tuck Deluxe, I have yet to be detected, at least to my knowledge. Such is the degree of concealment afforded by such a quality product.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

sgb
    Unless the Law of the State I'm in says that I have to disclose it just isn't going to happen
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links