Confronted by LEO while carrying

This is a discussion on Confronted by LEO while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Slygrin Here in Washington we have to show the permit when asked. My personal rule is, if the LEO is not going ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Confronted by LEO while carrying

Quote Originally Posted by Slygrin View Post
    Here in Washington we have to show the permit when asked. My personal rule is, if the LEO is not going to see the gun, I don't volunteer I have it. Just to not cause any added anxiety. If he's likely to see the gun I will tell him before he does. For example, if I'm pulled over for speeding, I will not tell him. If he asks me to get out of the vehicle I will tell him I have the gun and permit before I get out. I've only been asked once, they didn't ask to see my permit or the gun, just that I didn't reach for it.
    Lessor known factoid in WA...

When the DL records computer is set up for the dispatcher, it's up to the person setting up the system (at the behest of the Chief or Sheriff) to check the box that will crossreference the DL and CPL databases. So, some LEOs might know that you've been issued a CPL, and some might not. And, the ones that do know get a list of the firearms you've purchased or had transfered to you by FFLs.

Of the five times I've been pulled over since I got my permit (once for speeding, four for the same taillight out in a five day span), I've handed my permit over thrice. Once WSP asked where my pistol was ("right hip, sir" "okay"), one thanked me for sharing, and one didn't say a word (the youngest).
    ironmike86 likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

In my home State I am not required to inform. I haven't been pulled over since acquiring my permit so it hasn't been an issue. I honestly haven't decided whether I will inform in the event i get pulled over some time in the future. I keep going back and forth about it in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Im not a lawyer...In Michigan we have to inform. In general I think its a good idea to inform the officer. If they already know, I would rather err on the side of caution, then give the officer something to be pissed about.
    I'm also from Michigan and correct we are suppose to tell LEO as soon as they are at your car if your carrying or not, to me it seems like such a minor thing then not telling them. And yes at least in Michigan they know as soon as they run your plates if your a CPL holder I was reporting an accident standing next to the LEO when he ran my info and first thing I heard was my name and that I'm a CPL holder..... Might as well make them feel safe when they come to your car... Might even help them forget about your small traffic violation ... Lol
    Kimber Pro Carry HD
    Glock 23
    Springfield XD40
    Kahr CW9
    Browning Buckmark 22LR

I'm all for helping law enforcement and would probably inform as things are now. Those that want to give LE a heads up, go ahead. I WOULD address the issue with your representative though, since local jurisdictions and " gov't. officials" sometimes take liberties with the written law and that can lead down the old slippery slope. People have fought long and hard to maintain what gun rights we have and it would be a shame to have some beauracrat redefine the law with the stroke of their keyboard.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by jhuhn918 View Post
    Might as well make them feel safe when they come to your car... Might even help them forget about your small traffic violation ... Lol
    See, this is the part I find confusing. Why would it make them feel safer? I would think that that assumption would be more likely to get them shot. Get them to drop their guard.

To me, (and as I was taught as a park ranger, altho there were many fewer CPLs then)...always assume that any car & occupants can present a threat....you ALWAYS want to see everybody's hands.

That's why I put my hands at 2 and 10, am polite, and that's it. I reach for nothing without at least acknowledging it to the cop (mention or nod at my purse or the glove box, etc so that they know I am going to comply with their request.)

Like I've said elsewhere, I think alot of you just want to feel like you're some part of a secret club or something. (Not you personally jhuhn)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    See, this is the part I find confusing. Why would it make them feel safer? I would think that that assumption would be more likely to get them shot. Get them to drop their guard.

To me, (and as I was taught as a park ranger, altho there were many fewer CPLs then)...always assume that any car & occupants can present a threat....you ALWAYS want to see everybody's hands.

That's why I put my hands at 2 and 10, am polite, and that's it. I reach for nothing without at least acknowledging it to the cop (mention or nod at my purse or the glove box, etc so that they know I am going to comply with their request.)

Like I've said elsewhere, I think alot of you just want to feel like you're some part of a secret club or something. (Not you personally jhuhn)
    And I think you're exactly right there.

There are very few states that have "duty to inform". AFAIK, all the other states have only "duty to inform - if asked". There's a reason for that and that's the policy I'll follow.

Wifes car was robbed at a tire shop. Video showed the owners father leaving the car with contents in his hands. I called the cops. When the officer arrived I informed him I have a CCW and was carrying. I asked if he wanted to see my CCW permit? He said no. Just don`t take it out.
    Keep your powder dry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post

I'm sure there are some that think they are part of special club as you say, and thats the wrong way the think about it
    and yes, each stop needs to be considered having armed persons inside/contains a threat

your actions when you are stopped are spot on

I can address the 'make them feel safer' part....and maybe I have a different perspective having had my CHL then becoming a cop...

when I stop a car and they inform me/show permit, I know (at least here in Texas) that person has gone through local, county, state, and FBI background checks, has never had any convictions class A misd or higher, hasn't had a class B conviction for 10 years, no domestic violence, is not under indictment, not out on bail, etc
    that versus someone that doesn't have a permit = they are still in the unknown category
    that in itself is a big factor
    I'm not saying that a CHL holder has never committed a crime or done something after they got a permit, but they sure as heck aren't the bad guys were looking for 99% of the time, sometimes CHL holders screw up too
    Nam likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Just read that entire thread... All I can say is "Hmmmmmm... "

Glad I never sent them any money.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Just read that entire thread... All I can say is "Hmmmmmm... "

Glad I never sent them any money.
    Sounds like a pretty classic scam / phishing scheme to me... hope nobody falls for that.

/I have some money in an offshore account, and need a US resident to transfer it to to make it legal. I'll pay you a convenience fee if you want to help.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post

I can address the 'make them feel safer' part....and maybe I have a different perspective having had my CHL then becoming a cop...

when I stop a car and they inform me/show permit, I know (at least here in Texas) that person has gone through local, county, state, and FBI background checks, has never had any convictions class A misd or higher, hasn't had a class B conviction for 10 years, no domestic violence, is not under indictment, not out on bail, etc
    that versus someone that doesn't have a permit = they are still in the unknown category
    that in itself is a big factor
    I'm not saying that a CHL holder has never committed a crime or done something after they got a permit, but they sure as heck aren't the bad guys were looking for 99% of the time, sometimes CHL holders screw up too
    Thanks, that's really good to know. I appreciate your perspective.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    I know the issue of "telling" versus "not telling" when confronted by LEO has been discussed at great length in other threads, so I apologize in advance if you feel that this is a dead horse. But I am a bit confused.

I picked up my CCW permit today from the Police Dept. (Denver, CO) and just got around to taking a closer look at the ID card. This is what it says on the back:

1. If contacted by law enforcement advise the officer you are in possession of a CCW permit and firearm

2. Advise the officer where the firearm is located

Do not reach for the weapon

Do not move your clothing or show the weapon

3. If the officer determines that he/she must temporarily relieve you of your weapon, comply with their request

It makes sense to follow what is said on the card, right? But the only thing on that list that is actually in the statute is #3. The statute doesn't say anything about a duty to inform LEO about carrying.

I'm glad the instructions are on the card because now there is no doubt how I need to respond in the event of contact with LEO. But I can't say that I agree with it, especially since there is nothing in the statutes that require it.

Thoughts and opinions?
    Doc
    Same exact situation in Wisconsin. The law indicates you are not required to inform LEO. However, the sheet of instructions you receive from the Dept. of Justice tells you to do the same things you indicated. I will if confronted by an LEO tell them all the items suggested. IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    Wifes car was robbed at a tire shop. Video showed the owners father leaving the car with contents in his hands. I called the cops. When the officer arrived I informed him I have a CCW and was carrying. I asked if he wanted to see my CCW permit? He said no. Just don`t take it out.
    While this is an official capacity, having to notify in circumstances like this seems a bit absurd.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

In my class we were told that once you become a focal point of an officer it would be ideal to inform them. Not commenting on any laws here. Also in my county it was made clear that certain restrictions (above and beyond current law) could be placed on the permit. Mine says nothing about anything other than I can carry.

Interestingly our sheriff does not notify anyone. We were told that there was no way to determine our CCWness without our license or a trip down to the Sheriffs office to do some paper chasing with a select few people. Found that aspect interesting. Somewhat comforting as it can not be looked up by just anyone, as some places have, but if you forget your permit and are carrying no good can come of it. Just a different perspective and way of handling it for everyone to see.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

If your that confused....,should you be carrying at all?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links