Confronted by LEO while carrying - Page 5

Confronted by LEO while carrying

This is a discussion on Confronted by LEO while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Indeed in CO there is no statute that requires you to inform a LEO about your defensive weapon. Despite what the card says, you do ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Confronted by LEO while carrying

Indeed in CO there is no statute that requires you to inform a LEO about your defensive weapon. Despite what the card says, you do not have to tell them. BUT, if they ask, you are required to respond truthfully. My class trainer explained all of this to the class when we took it, not sure if you were required to take it (as I was), but it was pretty helpful with the nuances of the laws for sure.

My guess is when #1 above says "If contacted", that really means "If questioned about having any weapons...", not just on a random traffic stop or something and they ask for your license (and other stuff like that).

Mike

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I suggest folks read the following thread on the exact same topic.

Police Etiquette

I voiced my opinion in the referenced topic, so I won't bother to repeat it here.
    NRA Instructor

Here in Oregon when the LEOs run your lic. plate their computer shows that you have a CCP....I have had them ask me if I was carring and I responded appropriately. I've never had any of them ask to see the handgun, even in leftist Portland.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My wife was stopped for excessive rpm's (you may call it speeding) here in TN by a State Trooper. Before he even approached her car she had her DL and CCW permit out and readily presented it to the trooper. He was very appreciative of the fact that she was up front (as we here in TN are instructed to be in our classes). He asked where the ccw was located. She told him it was in the console. He told her that was fine just not to reach for it. He checked her DL back in his cruiser. After seeing that she had no tickets, etc he returned to the car let her off with a warning and again thanked her for telling him about the weapon and offering her permit along with her DL.

If ever stopped I would behave as she did.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

i my self have delt with this situation in Co. as matter of fact i was comming thru Colorado from kansas on I-70 and as we all know i-70 in kansas would put a hyperactive child to sleep, ( kansas, plant a tree or something!!!!) any way, i found my self getting tired and looking hastily for a place to pull over to get some sleep. but of course before this could happen i had to get visited by mister LEO himself in Colorado, so to make a long story short, after they told my why i was being pulled over, i kept both my hands on the steering wheel and stated the following to the officer, "officer for your safety and mine i feel i should inform you that i am a ccw permit holder and i am armed" he asked me where the firearm was located and i told him on my right hip, he asked me if it was loaded and i told him it was, he then had me remove the weapon with my weak arm and place it on the other seat where his partner then took the firearm. when alll was said and done, i ask the officer if i had properly informed him and he said that it was perfect, i was sent on my way with a warning to get some sleep and no ticket. i dont think it is the people with permits that the LEOs are worried about, as much as the people that conceal carry with out permitts, if you have nothing to hide i dont find any reason to worry about it,

Requirement to inform a LEO about your permit or weapon.

Just passing some info from another state. In North Carolina we are instructed to inform a LEO upon being stopped that we have a CCW permit if we have a weapon in the car. The reason we are given in our class is that when the LEO pulls up our vehicle tag number up in the system it automatically shows him that we have a CCW permit, so the LEO automatically knows there is a good chance we have a weapon. Letting the LEO know immediately that we have the permit, regardless if we have a weapon (or not), lets them relax a little. It also clearly states on our permit that "It is unlawful to carry a concealed handgun without this permit and valid identification in your possession or to fail to disclose to any law enforcement officer that you are carrying a concealed handgun".

There is no duty to inform in Colorodo.The law says,upon demand of police officer.However,it is a professional courtesy to do so.In states where there is a duty to notify,its is usually worded,immediately upon official contact.When the officer goes to his vehicle to run your license and tags,he will know about your permit.If you have'nt told him,he may wonder why,and get a bit more edgey.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Whether required or not its the right thing to do IMO.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

In Ky If you are stopped by the Sate Police they will know you have a CCP. It will pop up on the car computer when they put you license info into it. I'm sure the local LEO's also have this info too. It may not be required but it foolish in my book and discourteous not to tell the stopping officer you have a legal permit first thing out of your mouth after "good day Officer"
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Disagree. I do not tell them unless required by law. But, I may change my tune if some of the folks on this forum explain to me why they blow off no-gun signs (that do not have the force of law) but say it is courteous to tell a LEO. I know, it is for their safety which I think is bull. But what about a store owner that gets robbed a lot and sees you printing or exposes your gun by accident? That could not turn into a bad situation? I just don't see the difference.

I believe in most cases it's the wise thing to do. I would however skip funny speeches such as: "Officer, for your safety and mine I feel Blah blah blubbety blah", and simply hand over the permit along with the DL and registration and let the officer proceed as he sees fit. This works in Colorado where you don't have the duty to report anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Disagree. I do not tell them unless required by law. But, I may change my tune if some of the folks on this forum explain to me why they blow off no-gun signs (that do not have the force of law) but say it is courteous to tell a LEO. I know, it is for their safety which I think is bull. But what about a store owner that gets robbed a lot and sees you printing or exposes your gun by accident? That could not turn into a bad situation? I just don't see the difference.
    Good point. I tend to honor signs but I have carried in places I knew had no firearms policies but no signs. I also think LEOs will treat you better if you afford them the courtesy.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Good point. I tend to honor signs but I have carried in places I knew had no firearms policies but no signs. I also think LEOs will treat you better if you afford them the courtesy.
    That is the wrong reason. What is the difference if I am polite and courteous on a traffic stop and choose not to inform a LEO and you do. I get a ticket and you get a warning...wrong answer. That is called kissing up to a LEO with the hopes of getting favorable treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That is the wrong reason. What is the difference if I am polite and courteous on a traffic stop and choose not to inform a LEO and you do. I get a ticket and you get a warning...wrong answer. That is called kissing up to a LEO with the hopes of getting favorable treatment.
    You are correct that it's the wrong reason, I only offer it as a supporting reason to notify. I really think it's the right thing to do.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links