AL mayor hypocrite for holding burglar at gunpoint?

This is a discussion on AL mayor hypocrite for holding burglar at gunpoint? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, here's the story of a mayor in Mobile, AL who belongs to Mayors Against Illegal Guns...and who just happens to have nabbed a guy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: AL mayor hypocrite for holding burglar at gunpoint?

Well, here's the story of a mayor in Mobile, AL who belongs to Mayors Against Illegal Guns...and who just happens to have nabbed a guy burglarizing his car and garage the other night.

Oh, does the mayor have a carry permit? Hmmmmmmm???????

CCW rush surprises media elite, authorities, except for one AL mayor perhaps

A continuing rise in the number of concealed pistol licenses in Washington State appears to be part of a national trend that suggests something public officials and the media elite do not seem to grasp.

CCW rush surprises media elite, authorities, except for one AL mayor perhaps - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

The numbers of legal gun carriers seems to be growing Nationwide.
    SpencerB likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Well, here's the story of a mayor in Mobile, AL who belongs to Mayors Against Illegal Guns...and who just happens to have nabbed a guy burglarizing his car and garage the other night.

Oh, does the mayor have a carry permit? Hmmmmmmm???????
    If he was in his home, a permit wouldn't be needed would it? And, I bet his gun was legal... He is against illegal guns. So, where is the hypocrisy? Hmmmmmmm?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Except the article implies that he already has the weapon on him when he arrived home. So either he has a permit he wishes to deny others or he carried illegally.

"According to an account given by Jones' spokeswoman, Barbara Drummond, he left his house about 9 p.m. to go to the grocery store. He was driving a private vehicle, she said. His bodyguard, who drives the mayor's city vehicle, was not on duty.

When Jones arrived back at his house, Drummond said, he noticed that power to the nativity scene in his yard had been reconnected and the truck in the driveway tampered with. That's when Jones drew his weapon and found Wilkerson in the garage, she said."

VIP Member
    In some jurisdictions the in home use or threat of deadly force protection doesn't extend to the yard or garage. He'd need a permit to carry in public, at the store, even if it might be allowed in his vehicle and on his property. I'm confused between an illegal gun (serial number defaced, stolen) and a gun carried illegally. Would a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns be hypocritical if he carried illegally? If he has a permit, is he embarrassed to reveal it? Maybe Bloomberg would kick him out of the club.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I too am confused about the reports use of the term illegal guns v illegally carried guns. Does AL allow unlicensed car carry as we do here in TX? Here you don't need a license to go from your home to a business you own and back. I think he'd be OK here. No hypocrite.

I'm sort of with the mayor in that I am against illegal guns; stolen, altered against ATF regs; and so on. I am also opposed to folks carrying a gun in an illegal manner even if the gun is legally owned. If the mayor did neither, then no hypocrite. If he "trespassed," well--- his police chief will have to be the judge.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I checked out "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" and while it does oppose national reciprocity, I saw nothing indicating blanket opposition to concealed carry or legal firearms ownership and utilization as part of its platform.

If the AL Mayor is a member of anything Bloomberg is pushing, you can bet it isn't pro 2A, no matter what they shout from the rooftops. Simple as that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    If the AL Mayor is a member of anything Bloomberg is pushing, you can bet it isn't pro 2A, no matter what they shout from the rooftops. Simple as that.
    Sorry, but I find very few things as simple as that. What, precisely is Mayors Against Illegal Guns doing which makes the fellow from Alabama a hypocrite?
    Nathanimal likes this.

Having lived in Mobile and still having family down there, the one thing I can tell you about Sam is, he's an idiot, a buffoon, he has represented the city very poorly and I would be willing to bet he does not have a valid carry permit. Even if he does, he is not a pro-2A mayor. He was very anti 2A when he was on the city counsel and I can't see his views changing now that he is mayor.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Sorry, but I find very few things as simple as that. What, precisely is Mayors Against Illegal Guns doing which makes the fellow from Alabama a hypocrite?
    "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" is a deceiving name from the Bloomburg anti-gun crowd to creep in the back door to control YOUR guns. Don't let the name fool you. If you trust anything that Bloomingidiotburg starts when it comes to guns, you're gonna be on the short end of the stick.
    LongGoneDays likes this.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The same as Bloomberg does when he stands there saying no one should have guns, therefore if anyone has a gun , they should be arrested because it's illegal to have one...... while he's standing in the middle of his bodyguards who are all armed.

The "it's ok for me to have one, but not OK for you to" mentality.
    ep1953 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" is a deceiving name from the Bloomburg anti-gun crowd to creep in the back door to control YOUR guns. Don't let the name fool you. If you trust anything that Bloomingidiotburg starts when it comes to guns, you're gonna be on the short end of the stick.
    Bloomburg and company seem more focused on the chinks than on the back door. As long as people keep feeding his undercover guys material for their hidden cameras, MAIG will continue to do what it is doing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    The same as Bloomberg does when he stands there saying no one should have guns, therefore if anyone has a gun , they should be arrested because it's illegal to have one...... while he's standing in the middle of his bodyguards who are all armed.

The "it's ok for me to have one, but not OK for you to" mentality.
    Yet his constituents keep electing him. Go figure.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Having lived in Mobile and still having family down there, the one thing I can tell you about Sam is, he's an idiot, a buffoon, he has represented the city very poorly and I would be willing to bet he does not have a valid carry permit. Even if he does, he is not a pro-2A mayor. He was very anti 2A when he was on the city counsel and I can't see his views changing now that he is mayor.
    Labels like idiot, buffoon, hypocrite, anti-gun, etc, while potentially accurate and well-founded would seem to do little when trying to effectively expose poor management skills and double standards. Fact is, the voting public seem to be attracted to such qualities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links